Changes in the Rules

whitecat

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2001
The lacrosse coach at West Genesse has long been one
of the the best coaches in the nation. He said the face offs should
be eliminated since the players who do them are generally not among the
most athletic players on a team and usually come out after face-offs. The other has been
discussed for years, and that is a shot clock.

Even though I have lived up here for fifty two years, I have seen about five complete
games and those were VU on the tube. I have noticed some similarity between
strategy hoops and lacrosse, but it is not enough to get me interested in taking
up another sport to follow. If the second change has been discussed for years, either
let the thread die or comment. It makes some sense to me.

This post was edited on 5/6 7:53 AM by whitecat

Originally posted by whitecat:
most athletic players on a team and usually come out after face-offs. The other has been

Even though I have lived up here for fifty two years, I have seen about five complete
strategy hoops and lacrosse, but it is not enough to get me interested in taking
up another sport to follow. If the second change has been discussed for years, either

Face offs have been part of the game forever. Teams who don't have a good face off guy always say that they should be dropped or that there should be an auto change of possession after a each goal is scored. They tried the later for a few years and then reinstated the face offs after goals. The face off is what enables a team who is loosing to catch up by scoring consecutive goals. It's part of the game strategy.

I personally am against a shot clock altho I would like to see more consistency in calling stall warnings. Some people call fro a shot clock in the later minutes of the game. Frankly, if you are going to allow a stall I believe that it's logical to permit in during the later minutes of the game. It's one thing to stall all game and another to stall in the last several minutes to protect the lead. If they want to make the game faster they should disallow some of the offensive player's heads and pockets. Then defenses would get more aggressive and it would be harder to stall. Now because its hard to dislodge the ball defenses play less aggressively on the perimeter. Make it harder to hold onto the ball and the game will get faster.

Originally posted by whitecat:

I would like to see a shot clock, but keep faceoffs as they are. Agree with scratch that they allow larger momentum shifts, which is good for the game.

Re: similarities, you are dead on about the game resembling basketball in a lot of ways. People always compare lacrosse to hockey, but I actually think the game movement is closer to hoops.

WC,

The offensive AND defensive strategies are almost identical to bball. VU lax
coaches borrow plays from Jay. Pick and rolls, off ball screens, inside out, zone D, helping man, etc... the difference is the field is much bigger, the goal is 6' x 6', there's a goalie and contact is permissible and integral to the game on defense. Also, offenses can set up behind the goal, much more so than in hockey because there is much more space behind the net. In many ways defense is more emphasized and specialized. Bc the field is bigger and the ball moves faster slides, lax lingo for defensive rotations, have to be faster and better coordinated bc there is more space to cover.

he must have been joking when he said face offs should be eliminated based on his reasoning.

i agree stall warnings should be called more frequently but not necessarily opposed to the idea of a shot clock either

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT