ADVERTISEMENT

Draft Lottery Thread, tonight is the night

adp98

Post 'Til Your Fingers Bleed
Gold Member
Feb 25, 2005
There is a 67% I'm off here but isn't the Draft Lottery tonight? How in the world is this board devoid of a Sixers Draft Lottery Thread? I'll accept my BB2N if missed. However, this is a big night in Sixer Fandom. We've got very little going for us so let's go. Where we going, who we getting and how long before the master plan produces some W's. Let's go ping-pong balls. In closing, is there a bigger lock than the Knicks or Lakers garnering the first pick? You can bet on this and I've seriously considered throwing down some bones on both teams. Knicks sit a 3-1, Lakers at 4.5-1. Discuss

Don't think you're going to get long odds picking the 2nd and 4th worst teams to end up as the one getting the first pick. Maybe you could get 2-1 on that. Also, not seeing conspiracy fodder this year. Is there a drop dead consensus #1 this year, ala Ewing?

It's tomorrow night. Also, the only thing I'm hoping for is the Sixers being in the top 4. Anything else is gravy. Best case scenario is 1-6-11, but I don't see that happening. Even if the Sixers end up with just their pick, additional draft night moves involving future picks wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: kjbert
Don't think you're going to get long odds picking the 2nd and 4th worst teams to end up as the one getting the first pick. Maybe you could get 2-1 on that. Also, not seeing conspiracy fodder this year. Is there a drop dead consensus #1 this year, ala Ewing?

Not really. Though I think more than not feel Towns is top pick. 2-3 months ago it was all about Okafor. This thought was wrong then and still wrong today. I'm not even convinced that Okafor goes top 2 right now.

Not really. Though I think more than not feel Towns is top pick. 2-3 months ago it was all about Okafor. This thought was wrong then and still wrong today. I'm not even convinced that Okafor goes top 2 right now.
Okafor will not be a good pro. The guy cannot guard a chair, can't jump, has not outside game/space the floor and won't be able to bully through pro's the way he did in college. He'll be the next Duke guy to flame out in the league.

ADP, I'm not a huge fan of his, but I think you're a bit harsh. He is only 19 and does possess some good qualities.

ADP, I'm not a huge fan of his, but I think you're a bit harsh. He is only 19 and does possess some good qualities.
I was overboard. He will not flame out. However, he'll be a bigger version of Carlos Boozer taken in the top 1-4. I also don't see him going 1. Towns seemed to have passed him a while ago. Could see a scenario Okafor slips as far as 4. If the Sixers/Lakers jump up could see them taking the two guards, Towns goes and then Okafor at 4. Just watch the Sixers get stuck with him on the board from the big 4.

Not convinced Towns is going to be a star either. I think he was physically superior in college and relied upon solid fundamental post moves to score pretty consistently. I want to say Mike Sweetney is comparable -- dominant inside player at Georgetown, decent pro for a short while, didn't really have that high of a ceiling for NBA. I know, Towns is a bit taller, but still reminds me of that type of player.

Mike Sweetney was 3 bills. they aren't comparable at all IMO. Towns actually can defend which Sweetney also couldnt.

Give me 3 or 4 and Mudiay or Russell.

I don't want Hinkie getting cute trading Noel because he has Towns or Okafor.

Unless of course Noel can land a stud guard or wing. Not quite sure exactly how high his value is. High. But how high ?

Mike Sweetney?

Dude was 6'9 and average athlete. And couldn't guard a lawn chair. Towns is over 7'0, moves like a SF and plays excellent D (at an even much younger age).

Bizarre comparison.

Okafor will not be a good pro. The guy cannot guard a chair, can't jump, has not outside game/space the floor and won't be able to bully through pro's the way he did in college. He'll be the next Duke guy to flame out in the league.

We know his D sucks but his post skills are off the charts. The ball is a grapefruit in his hands. He's also a good passer. Once he develops a steady 16 footer he will be a terror on offense. His skill set on that end is off the charts. He demands double teams constantly. You are really selling his offense short. Defensively tho, yes, he needs to be paired with good defenders. Embiid? Noel? They are that, no?

Mike Sweetney working the pick and rolls:
BmqfE-zCYAAiTdC.jpg

Burrs - whats the lakers pick? what do the sixers need to get it? i know the heat pick is top 10 protected this year.

Sixers get Lakers pick if it's 6 or 7. Get Heat pick if it's 11, 12.

Burrs - whats the lakers pick? what do the sixers need to get it? i know the heat pick is top 10 protected this year.

LAL has the 4th pick. The Sixers need two teams below four to move into top three (Only 3 balls are drawn). If this happens then there's reasonable chance the Sixers are dropping, too.

Need a team between 11-14 to jump into top 3. This will push MIA's pick back to 11. It's happened twice in 25 years, I think..

so lakers pick is top 5 protected. ill be happy with 1-3. i go Okafur Towns at 1 either is fine. then Russell at 3 if he is there. apparently if the knicks get 2 they may go with a guard.

If the Sixers land a top two pick they should gauge how badly the teams right below want the big men. Swap picks and pick something else up. However, I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing Towns and then figuring out later.

im ok with trading 2 for 3 and another pick or a player. id like to see a guard that can play on the sixers. with Saric in 2016-17 and Embiid and Noel in 2015-16 you need a guard to compliment them. the entire franchise is on Embiids back right now , he needs to be a stud.

BUT Hinkie is a different guy. i think best case the Sixers get 3 and stay with it and pick Russell or Mudiay. if they get 1 or 2 who knows what kind of mess Hinkie can make. he needs to get a team on the floor next season that can progress and grow together. no more tanking.

Towns is not overly athletic and is two inches taller, as I said he's a bit taller. Just saying he reminds me of a guy who came out as a dominant college player and who was selected 9th in the NBA draft. Everyone knows he ate his way out of the league but that was not until later. You're remembering that part, not the part about him being dominant and having similar numbers to Towns in college.

You take the best player available. It's not like they are sitting on a bunch of talent here. Chances are one of Noel, Embiid and Okafor/Towns is a bust. If you get the #1 pick and take Towns, so be it. You need 96 minutes from the 4 and 5 positions. You could play Noel 35, Towns 35 and Embiid 26 next year.

You take the best player available. It's not like they are sitting on a bunch of talent here. Chances are one of Noel, Embiid and Okafor/Towns is a bust. If you get the #1 pick and take Towns, so be it. You need 96 minutes from the 4 and 5 positions. You could play Noel 35, Towns 35 and Embiid 26 next year.

Embiid 26? He's the best player in that group.

Towns is not overly athletic and is two inches taller, as I said he's a bit taller. Just saying he reminds me of a guy who came out as a dominant college player and who was selected 9th in the NBA draft. Everyone knows he ate his way out of the league but that was not until later. You're remembering that part, not the part about him being dominant and having similar numbers to Towns in college.

Numbers? Who cares about numbers. Towns played one year and had to share the ball a ton. Sweetney played several years and was the man and shot the ball a ton. And how athletic is a guy over 7 foot supposed to be? Compared to Sweetney, Towns is like Usain Bolt.

Last edited:
Embiid 26? He's the best player in that group.

You really have no idea is this is true. He's never played a game. People touched themselves over Thabeet once upon a time. Embiid could not make it through a COLLEGE season. There are plenty of questions left.

You really have no idea is this is true. He's never played a game. People touched themselves over Thabeet once upon a time. Embiid could not make it through a COLLEGE season. There are plenty of questions left.

And Phil Jackson has never run a NBA team but that didn't stop you from touching yourself with his hire.

Call it a hunch on Embiid...

And Phil Jackson has never run a NBA team but that didn't stop you from touching yourself with his hire.

Call it a hunch on Embiid...

Who the EFF is touching themselves over Phil Jackson? I am simply choosing optimism there. If you get to do that for Hinkie, and clearly you have, then i think that's fair. Regardless, keep it intellectually honest and stay the course. Fact remains - you dont know if Embiid is going to make it in the NBA. Hunch or not. Again, he could not make it through a college season, which is a tad lesser than 82 games playing against men. In your words "lets let it play out here"

Unless the kid has unbelievably bad luck on the injury front then I believe he's going to be very good. All reports are that he's tremendously talented. I'm choosing optimism here, too.

Noel didn't make it thru a college season either. He held up rather well last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT