ADVERTISEMENT

Great Dane Classic

sebastianc

Diaper Dandy
Apr 11, 2010
I was able to see some of the meet on the live telecast from the Armory. Some thoughts ...

Denault looked very strong and smooth in the 3000. He and Williamsz exchanged leads throughout the race - like they were just taking turns leading. Denault pulled away over the last lap of so.

Lipari...? She looked very good. She stalked Koons for most of the race; took the lead with a couple of laps to go; lost it to Koons; and then came back to win in the stretch comiing off the last turn. Very impressive.

Summer Cook ran well. She is a very big girl. Not fat; just a very big girl. She is still listed as being on the swimming team and their season is still going on with big meets coming up. Is she doing both? Remember the men had a runner who was competing in Big East championships in both swimming and track on the same weekend in NYC. Is she a junior or senior athletically?

Akande finished 4th but appeared to have taken sick (stomach or digestive problems) during the race and was having trouble afterwards.

It appears that it was Courtney Chapman acting as the rabbit for this race. Noticed that she finished 3rd in mile in about 4:54, which is a huge improvement over last week, which is good. I expected a lot more from Chapman than she has shown thus far. Thought she was the best of the soph class and would now be a key member of 4x1500 and eventually Big East champion. They need to smooth-out her running style. Moves her arms inefficiently.

VU has nothing in men's 400. Galato will be of no help with 4x800.

Tully has quietly become one of VU's better performers. Did not expect this when he arrived, but has nice 800 time of about 1:51+ I believe; had good moments in XC, must be considerd for a leg on 4xmile.

At Penn Relays, men will be major players in DMR, 4xmile and 4x800. How do you split the talent? Saw Michigan take all three with a core of Nick Willis and Nate Brennan and Andrew Ellerton. Don't believe Ellerton ran on 4xmile (too lazzy to look it up). My point: Michigan had two stellar performers in Brennan & Willis who ran on all three relays. In VU's case, it would have to be McEntee & Williamsz. The problem is the 4xmile and 4x800 are both on Saturday. Can Williamsz & McEntee do both or do you focus on one - 4x800 - and forget about 4xmile? Or split the pair - Williamsz on 4x800 and McEntee on 4xmile - and find someone to replace the other - Kieran Brennan / Lampron on 4x800 (after seeing Galato, last night, I do not think so) and choice of two from Mildenhal, Lampron, Tully on 4xmile. Tully is very important in this discussion. Be interesting to see if VU runs 4x800 at Millrose and who makes-up the team...
This post was edited on 1/19 3:02 PM by sebastianc

Re: the 4x800: If FitzSimons is in good shape (which his big PB in the 1000 seems to indicate) Villanova doesn't need a very good leadoff leg in the 4x800, just about 1:51/2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT