ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Embiid setback

TommySalami

Diaper Dandy
Oct 9, 2009
More foot issues. May not play next year.

#oden #bowie

Burrs, is Hinkie still a genius?

Unbelievable (but sorta believable).

I don't know where you got the "may not play next year". Nothing like that in he press release or report. But regardless a sad setback and really disappointing.

Only good possibility is they are using this as an excuse to not play him in summer league - which still isn't right

Great movie by Hinkie. Putting out fake story about Embiid so it looks like they will go big at 3 to scare teams into trading up to get Okafor. This is why I would blow the man.

- burrs

y_eQUnE3.jpeg

Never called Hinkie a genius. Only said I accepted his plan because every other plan has failed since '01. Intelkectual honesty if you're going to discuss things with me. Thank you.

Reactions: kjbert
The confusing part of this is that Woj report mentions he's had rigorous workouts and is experiencing no pain. That sources have said he has looked dominant and explosive. The not "healing as fast" is perplexing, too. He's been working out for months. If it's not healed, then why is he working out? I don't get that. When initial workouts commenced was the healing satisfactory at that time? But 3-4 months later it just stopped? Need some more information on this and I'm going to try to not overact at this point. Still over 4 months to season starts. Obviously, you're going to have to keep fingers crossed with this player and news like this is still unsettling. Regardless, of what happens he was still absolutely the right pick last year.

Hopefully it's a minor thing. If not, turn off the oven.

Is he the new Bynum? If injured, does that downgrade his commodity status from ASSET to just PIECE?

This is a very curious situation. He's been working out and looking like a terror in practice with no pain. Yet they notice peculiar "healing" in the fracture? I can only take this to mean there's a weakness in the bone and a likelihood of future re-fracture. I'm no doctor but am I evaluating this right?

Just when you think there might be some light (Saric negotiations), Embiid's news immediately dampens any positive mojo. I still understand that embiid was the right pick last year, but as was stated many times, plenty of risk/reward came along with the selection.

Where's johnnygentle these days? Wasn't that fake homeboy wankster another member of the Hinkie suck off club?

Maybe he hurt himself because they didn't let him freaking play basketball for an entire season.

This is just Hinkster leaking info to Wojo so to plant the seeds to select the apple of his eye - Portzingis.

Porzingis is not liked by euro scouts but is liked by NBA scouts - weird. I'd trust the guys who watch him more. It's all luck anyway look at how hyped Darko was, even by guys like Chad Ford

Why the **** do they need Porzingis if they have Saric? Don't get cute. Even without Embiid you still have Saric! Don't need another white finesse douche. I refuse to believe that Okafor won't end up going 2. So just take Russell at 3 for F sake.

Has anyone confirmed the nature of the "setback"?

Has anyone confirmed the nature of the "setback"?

Supposedly, the bone isn't has healed as they thought it would be at this point. But he's been working out for 3 months now. Not sure why he gets cleared of bone isn't healed. If not healed today then one would think it wasn't healed three months ago.

Thinking he re broke it and this is mostly shucking and diving. Nothing else makes much sense, beause the current party line means he was practicing ( and practicing hard apparently) on a foot that was not healed completely. No way they do that.

Last edited:
So by count this guy has screwed the Sixers twice now leading up to draft. Last year by getting hurt, he screwed them out of Wiggins. And now this year, they will need to go big yet again because it's a good bet he won't play this year screwing them out of Russell.

Tank 3 coming this fall.

I would still say they were more reckless than duped with the Embiid pick. There are enough cautionary tales about bug guys with foot problems at a young age to scare off most teams. But not Hinkie!

I would still say they were more reckless than duped with the Embiid pick. There are enough cautionary tales about bug guys with foot problems at a young age to scare off most teams. But not Hinkie!

Considering the players taken after him I think nearly every team in the league takes Embiid in that spot. He was best player in the draft. Both Wiggins and Parker were talented enough to take over him considering the risk, but I don't think anyone else was.

We might be jumping the gun here. This could be as much about not wanting him to play summer league. Who knows, maybe they are just being very cautious. Everyone knew the risk when they drafted the kid. I don't recall Dante Exum lighting it up either. They swung for the fences. What can you do? Hopefully it works out.

If it worked out, he would be a genius. Last year was a two guy draft.

This is why taking doesn't always work. Back to back years, they are a pick shy of the top guys.

The "if it works out, he'd be a genius" line of thinking is what prevailed at the time and still does I guess. But I've never understood why everyone's so ready to laud his genius if it works, but forgive the downside if it doesn't. In real life, that's not how it works. Embiid is the linchpin of the whole taking and rebuilding plan. If he turns out to be an Oden, Bowie, etc., Hinkie should be fired no questions asked. That's what any real company in the world we live in would do. He had all the information in front of him, he got to find out the guy injured himself just doing workouts after a lot of time off from another injury, and proceeded in the face of a known risk.

As far as having the third pick in a two player draft or similar, that's tough, but you still have to make the best pick possible. E.g., the Wall draft had one real good player and the Sixers took Evan Turner. Could have done better than that.

I really tend to doubt "nearly every team in the league takes Embiid in that spot" as burrs put it. Am thinking it's 50% at most. Executives being held accountable for putting a decent team on the floor the next year would not have for starters. And I tend to think some teams that were rebuilding would've stayed away too, whereas Hinkie was all over it becauseit offered a built-in excuse to tank another year. But we'll never know.

The "if it works out, he'd be a genius" line of thinking is what prevailed at the time and still does I guess. But I've never understood why everyone's so ready to laud his genius if it works, but forgive the downside if it doesn't. In real life, that's not how it works. Embiid is the linchpin of the whole taking and rebuilding plan. If he turns out to be an Oden, Bowie, etc., Hinkie should be fired no questions asked. That's what any real company in the world we live in would do. He had all the information in front of him, he got to find out the guy injured himself just doing workouts after a lot of time off from another injury, and proceeded in the face of a known risk.

As far as having the third pick in a two player draft or similar, that's tough, but you still have to make the best pick possible. E.g., the Wall draft had one real good player and the Sixers took Evan Turner. Could have done better than that.

I really tend to doubt "nearly every team in the league takes Embiid in that spot" as burrs put it. Am thinking it's 50% at most. Executives being held accountable for putting a decent team on the floor the next year would not have for starters. And I tend to think some teams that were rebuilding would've stayed away too, whereas Hinkie was all over it becauseit offered a built-in excuse to tank another year. But we'll never know.
Lowry, I think you absolutely correct in your comment regarding other GM's. However, other GM's weren't drafting. The Sixers were drafting. In that spot, given the Sixers plan as established from Josh Harris on down Burrs is 100% correct in that Embiid was the pick in that situation for the Sixers. Doesn't mean it will work. However, it was the right call and everyone went in eyes wide open. It also speaks to the private equity model the Sixers have employed. They stockpile assets and take their shots based on the value presented. Embirrd was the value and they have additional pickes due to the uncertainly of the entire draft process. Now if you want to argue that's why tanking to the degree they've done is not the right approach a la KJB, that's a separate argument and one we could debate. I simply cannot find fault in the Embiid pick at that spot for the Sixers. Now if I'm some other team it might not have made sense due to whatever needs/situation they had at the time.

Adp from I experience I can say that the private equity model means a few things, but taking huge gambles like Embiid is not one of them, nor is stockpiling assets and not monetizing them. So to the extent you're trying to say that the building of the team/Hinkie Plan is following a private equity model there I can't agree.

Cutting costs, generally levering it up (probably not necessary so much here) and reaping the rewards of a cash generating business then selling at a profit in 5 or 6 years after purchase are the core features of a private equity model.

If Harris wants out in that time frame he can get out with a big profit, he bought at a time when all assets were depressed, and pro sports franchises were just about to take another huge leap in value. I don't think he cares whether the Hinkie Plan works or not. He knows that he's making money while he owns the team and when he sells whether or not the team is good. And he's keeping expenses as low as possible -- that's probably the only part of the Hinkie plan he cares about.

Adp from I experience I can say that the private equity model means a few things, but taking huge gambles like Embiid is not one of them, nor is stockpiling assets and not monetizing them. So to the extent you're trying to say that the building of the team/Hinkie Plan is following a private equity model there I can't agree.

Cutting costs, generally levering it up (probably not necessary so much here) and reaping the rewards of a cash generating business then selling at a profit in 5 or 6 years after purchase are the core features of a private equity model.

If Harris wants out in that time frame he can get out with a big profit, he bought at a time when all assets were depressed, and pro sports franchises were just about to take another huge leap in value. I don't think he cares whether the Hinkie Plan works or not. He knows that he's making money while he owns the team and when he sells whether or not the team is good. And he's keeping expenses as low as possible -- that's probably the only part of the Hinkie plan he cares about.
Completely disagree. It's the same model. They accept the draft is based on risk. So you have a system that enables you to take as many shots (multiple picks) because in an unpredibile environment the numbers say take more shots. That's exactly what they did. They flipped their two biggest assets in Holiday and MCW before they lost value all to acquire more shots in the draft. It's exactly the model the Sixers have followed.

Let's not forget... Daryl Morey was the analytics driven personnel guru in the Rockets front office. Hinkie was the penny pincher (CAP SPACE). Not that those two don't overlap, but that was the dynamic.

A cynic might say 'call me when the Rockets win something" ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT