ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft/Rumors Thread

wcburrs87

Post 'Til Your Fingers Bleed
Jul 28, 2004
Let's get this started.

I just heard this one. BOS offered Smart, 16, and 28 to Sixers for Noel and #3.

Umm, no thanks.,

that makes less sense than taking this Euro kid who is a few years away.

the draft is always a crap shoot. its enjoyable to watch just to see teams try and find a fit or make trades to benefit them in the future. and its always nice to see kids realize their dreams.

my problem with the draft is they are so thin with talent. the avg 1st rd age has to be 19? hard to tell if a 19 yr old is gonna end up being a contributor. ie Devon Booker, Tyus Jones.

Reactions: kjbert
sixers are starting to think they are gonna have a problem getting Saric over. the buy out this year is too big and Saric might want to wait until he can sign a non rookie contract in a few years. should be interesting. would be a complete waste of a top 10 pick if he doesnt come and play for them.

I read yesterday that the 6ers have Saric's rights for 3 years. If he opts out of Europe in 2016, he can sign a deal with the CoP that is not restricted to the rookie pay scale (that's interesting). Or he can wait until 2017 and re-enter the draft.

Saric might pull a Mirotic and stay 3 years and go for a bigger contract. But I'd be surprised if he doesn't come over after next season and start his NBA contract clock. He's already 21, so it wouldn't make sense to wait two more years to re-enter the draft and be 23/24. Plus it is more time for him to get hurt in Europe, scouts to find weaknesses, and not going up against NBA talent.

That Boston "offer" had to have been a joke. No way would that have been a legitimate offer.

the draft is always a crap shoot. its enjoyable to watch just to see teams try and find a fit or make trades to benefit them in the future. and its always nice to see kids realize their dreams.

my problem with the draft is they are so thin with talent. the avg 1st rd age has to be 19? hard to tell if a 19 yr old is gonna end up being a contributor. ie Devon Booker, Tyus Jones.

While there are hits and misses, if you look at who is drafted at the top vs who is drafted lower, NBA teasm/scouts have been very consistent over the years in terms of getting it right. There are exceptions - for instance the 3 slot has outperformed the #2 picks over the past 2 decades, but overall the end results fall in line with the projections at age 19. You might draft an outlier who is worse or better than expected, but if any league has "mastered" scouting, it's the NBA

evan turner was a bust of a #2 pick. If Cousins werent crazy i would like to think he would have gone #2 that year.

Danny Ainge must think Hinkie is Ruben Amaro. What an absurd offer. F*ck outta here.

What's extra frustrating about the Turner pick is he was the "safe" pick because he wasn't 19. He didn't have the upside, but Philly talk radio loved that he'd be able to step in immediately. Nah - you gotta swing for the fences

What's the point of drafting a European that is under contract when the buyout is more than you are allowed to pay per the CBA?

Fair question.

Now, I hoped they could get him over here this year, but him staying was expected. So, I guess I can live it for now. It's next year that bothers me. It's realistic that he stays the entire contract, which is 3 years. From a financial standpoint it actually makes no sense for him to leave next year.

I read yesterday that the 6ers have Saric's rights for 3 years. If he opts out of Europe in 2016, he can sign a deal with the CoP that is not restricted to the rookie pay scale (that's interesting). Or he can wait until 2017 and re-enter the draft.

I'm pretty sure they own his rights for three years after his Euto contract expires.

He could stay that third year and avoid a rookie scale contract. Pretty much what Mirotic did.

That's bothersome when your looking for these guys to get on the court over here.

What's extra frustrating about the Turner pick is he was the "safe" pick because he wasn't 19. He didn't have the upside, but Philly talk radio loved that he'd be able to step in immediately. Nah - you gotta swing for the fences

They also needed a two-guard. That was a big factor. I thought Turner would turn out better, but he didn't. Just an ok player.

if a two guard struggles to shoot then its probably not a good pick at #2. they blew that one. thats the risk when you draft a Euro player. they have some power when it comes to contract negotiations/timing/etc.

Turners whole thing was he wanted to be the PG not the SG, but Holiday was better at PG. maybe the sixers should have done their due diligence on Turner.

Turners whole thing was he wanted to be the PG not the SG, but Holiday was better at PG. maybe the sixers should have done their due diligence on Turner.

Top 10 picks hit and miss all of the time. Yea, it sucks when it's the team you like, but it's the nature of the beast. History is littered with examples of this.

Saris is not coming over for at least a north er year

With five second rounders this year and four first rounders next year there should be no way the Sixers can't get back into the first round this year.

If they aren't able to trade some of their 2nd rounders, I'm going to go out there and say Darrun Hilliard is the 60th pick in the draft.

Zero of the last 19 foreign players drafted in the lottery have become all stars.

Awesome. What a joke. And these guys keep going high.

That would be nice adp. I saw the pay board thread but not sure I buy it.

I hope he gets a shot. He seems like an awesome kid

A few more reports trickling out that the Lakers might go for Russell. Not sure if it's smokescreen stuff or not.

I don't believe the Sixers want Okafor, so drafting him and trading are in play. The Celtics want him. Not sure they have enough go get up that high.

I want Russell or Mudiay. Hezonja intrigues me more than Porzingus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT