ADVERTISEMENT

NCAAs

novaclassof90

VUSports.com Legend
Jun 10, 2002
Denault, Piccirolo, and Shappert all competing in the 1500M. M/W DMRs also made it. NCAA only takes 12 in most races so it is a very tough meet to qualify for.

The Men's DMR was lost on the second (400) and third (800) legs. Check the splits. When does VU begin to realize that you cannot simply "give away" 2 seconds on 400 leg? Recruit a very serious 400 man! 800? Maybe Slade just had a very bad day ...???

Does not bode well for Penn Relays... But I believe McEntee has eligibility for outdoors. Still the 400 leg will still be giving away 2 secs.

Are there no academically accomplished 400 men out there ... who would be interested in Villanova or Villanova interested in them? See Erison Hurtault (NJ), who graduated from Columbia in 2007. They are out there. Mclaughlin (NJ) is going to Michigan. Never visited VU. Why?

800? VU is trying: Fitzsimons, Malone, Slade ... Just not working out.

What happened with Women's DMR? Leading after first leg (who?); ghastly 400 leg. Finished 8th but DQ ...
This post was edited on 3/14 10:07 AM by sebastianc

Men's DMR Splits

The women dropped the baton leading up to the second exchange.

The men were hampered by the fact that Ish Muhammad has had some injury issues this year. He likely would have run the 400 leg. Also, I have a feeling that Slade tried to do as little bit too much work and faded at the end as a result.

The fact is that sprinters want to go to somewhere that's warm year round, or somewhere that has excellent indoor facilities to compensate for the fact that it isn't warm. Once in a while, Villanova will luck into getting a good pure 400m man like Elvis Lewis, but the rest of the time, they're going to have to improvise. The last few years, they'd had the luxury of Sam Ellison, who could be counted on to split 46-flat or there abouts.

I doubt they're missing out on quarter-milers due to lack of trying.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

(1) Elliot Slade will be fine. Sure, he wanted a 1:47-1:48, but he took the baton under duress and was in over-zealous catch-up mode (for which he paid at the end). Kid has been on campus 8 weeks, so let's not judge on such a small sample.

(2) Ish Muhammad at 400 (or even 800) is in the wings and has big upside. Be patient there.

(3) Marcus & Mark Carberry are surely smarter than all of us: I expect another 400/800 recruit to show up in August. Stay tuned -- let's see what develops there.

(4) Sam McEntee has 1 more year of outdoor eligibility (he redshirted outdoors in 2011, and competed in 2012, 2013, and 2014). So, for Penn Relays, imagine McEntee on the 1200 leg, Ish (assuming healthy) on the 400, Slade on 800, and Jordy Williamsz on 1600. Or Dusty Solis in the mix somewhere.

(5) Good to see 2 Villanova girls in the mile final.

You may be right -- when Villanova went 9:27.04 (at the time NCAA all time #3) last month, Jordy Williamsz ran the opening 1200, in 2:52.3 (and Denault closed in 3:57.8). On the other hand, yesterday Solis was 4th (IIRC) at the first exchange, and not too far back.

Williamsz (1200) 2:52.3
Urschel (400) 47.8
Solis (800) 1:49.4
Denault (1600) 3:57.8

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT