ADVERTISEMENT

Penn Relays

sebastianc

Diaper Dandy
Apr 11, 2010
Penn Relays is next weekend. I expect the men to be competitive, but I am not so sure about the women. Where is Kelsey Margey? She has not been the same runner, this year.

I have reserved seats for Saturday, but it might be my last trip down.
Next year I will be over 80 years old, and I was at Penn in either 1951 or

Whitecat, don't drive. Take the train. You can then go to Penn Relays for a long time.

Larry Ellis Invitational, Friday evening, might have been a sort of time trial. McEntee may not be in the mix for either DMR or 4xMile. He did not run well, last year, in 4xMile. 4xMile might be Williamz, Denault, Lampron & Solis. Lampron should run 1200 in DMR. 4x800: Williamz, Slade, Malone & ? Where is Fitzsimons?

Women? What is after Schappert, Piccirillo & Siofra?

This post was edited on 4/19 7:33 AM by sebastianc

McEntee should absolutely be running in the 4xMile. Yesterday was his first race in five months. That being said, I think Villanova has very little chance of winning that race unless one of Villanova's runners puts a significant gap on Oregon in the first leg and forces Cheserek or Jenkins to do something stupid. I'm normally an optimist, but the only race I think Villanova has a chance at is the 4x800.

As for the women, there's no choice but to go with Margey.

TFE, if McEntee were in top shape, I agree, but how do you tell Solis he is not running in 4xMile - after beating McEntee - unless he is running in 4x800?

Looks like we might actually see Sheila Reid debut for the year at Penn Relays Olympic Development Mile -- it's been a long time. Nicky Akande & Emily Lipari also in that event, it seems.

McEntee gets the benefit of the doubt. Solis will be running in the 4x800 a couple hours later.

Initial list for men's relays looks like this (as per Penn Relays webpage); obviously, these can change.

DMR
Denault (1200) to Serfoss (400) to Slade (800) to Williamsz (1600)

4xMile
Denault to McEntee to Tiernan to Williamsz

4x800
Lampron to Solis to Malone to FitzSimons

I would expect Williamsz to run in both the 4xMile and 4x800, as he's done both in each of the two previous years.

Nice win for the women in the DMR --- 4 years in a row Schappert ran the anchor Picirrilo ran a great 1200.

Well, the men's DMR had declared this foursome:

Denault (1200) to Serfoss (400) to Slade (800) to Williamsz (1600)

but

actually ran this foursome (with split and how split ranked among others in race):

Solis (2:57.51) 5th best 1200 leg
Muhammad (48.42) 9th best 400 leg
Lampron (1:49.51) 2nd best 800 leg
Williamsz (3:58.94) 1st best 1600 leg

So, strategy looks like Marcus will load up in the 4xMile (having saved Denault) and the 4x800 (having saved Slade).

4xMile looks to be Denault, McEntee, Tiernan, Williamsz? If so, then will Williamsz be asked to do the 4x800 as well just 3 hrs 15 minutes later? That would be three races in 26 hours.

Awesome win for the women in the DMR! I am impressed by the freshman holding her own. Cool name too.

Did you love it when in the back stretch that fool announcer said that no one could catch Cheserek. Then boom.

I am just a fan, but can Angel run under 2:00 for the 800? I can't hear the announcer
with the hearing aids and noise. I just read about Shappert's 2:03 + split.

What was Slade thinking - if at all - on the anchor of the 4x800? And why was he there in the first place (and not Williamsz)? Cool that Jordy learned from his Friday mistake when he went way too soon. Williamsz is the man. Ran three outstanding legs over the course of two days.

Guys need to learn how to run. Solis let guy from Columbia pass him on the inside. Bad stick exchange between 800 & 1600. How does that happen? Smarter running and VU men take all three - DMR, 4xMile & 4x800.

Women were great. But no 4x1500? Women need serious help for next year. Margey surprised and kept it close. Still, after 3 years, she has not realized that it is not smart to run four runners wide.

Muhammed tried, but it would be nice if VU recruited a real 400 man or two. Ironically, best high school talent were the Lyles brothers from TC Williams - 45+ legs.. They are juniors. Someone sitting near me said their mother had gone to VU. Don't know if that is true or not. Said dad had run for Seton Hall.

Note: For all of Stanford's superior recruiting, it is not reflected on the track.

Wonderful interviews with Siofra C-B and Eamonn. There is some excellent talent coming-up in Ireland. Maybe Eamonn will be instrumental in directing it to VU ...? Be nice.

Last edited:
What was Slade thinking - if at all - on the anchor of the 4x800? And why was he there in the first place (and not Williamsz)? Cool that Jordy learned from his Friday mistake when he went way too soon. Williamsz is the man. Ran three outstanding legs over the course of two days.

Guys need to learn how to run. Solis let guy from Columbia pass him on the inside. Bad stick exchange between 800 & 1600. How does that happen? Smarter running and VU men take all three - DMR, 4xMile & 4x800.

Women were great. But no 4x1500? Women need serious help for next year. Margey surprised and kept it close. Still, after 3 years, she has not realized that it is not smart to run four runners wide.

Muhammed tried, but it would be nice if VU recruited a real 400 man or two. Ironically, best high school talent were the Lyles brothers from TC Williams - 45+ legs.. They are juniors. Someone sitting near me said their mother had gone to VU. Don't know if that is true or not. Said dad had run for Seton Hall.

Note: For all of Stanford's superior recruiting, it is not reflected on the track.

Wonderful interviews with Siofra C-B and Eamonn. There is some excellent talent coming-up in Ireland. Maybe Eamonn will be instrumental in directing it to VU ...? Be nice.

Bebastianic,

Seven different sources had someone other than Slade running the anchor. But for him
I think it might be a live and learn experience. Why bust your ass in the first 600 and have
nothing left at the end?

Is it possible that Angel P just might be a great miler? I remember the posts when we
first signed her that concerned itself with her weight. If pushed in the anchor, she might have
been close to 2:00 in the 4x800.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT