ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Question

GaryMassey

Bleeds Villanova Blue
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
Overland Park, Kansas
Was checking out lax power recruiting information...

Is it accurate that 231 incoming high school SOPHOMORES have committed to programs?

http://www.laxpower.com/recruits/recruits.php?db=recruits2016&action=viewRcd&order=Name

This seems crazy early to me given when high school basketball and football recruits commit?

Looks like we already have 3 recruits that will be high school sophs?

All 3 of these schools have legit programs. When I grew up we didn't have them, and I played on Long Island and in New England, but now they have summer leagues that are almost like the AAU for lacrosse, not to mention big time lacrosse camps during the summer as well. Coaches get to see these kids more and more and are starting to offer a lot earlier.

Thanks for the feedback 2003...read an interesting article about this yesterday after my post. Looks like deregulation of NCAA rules has led to a lot more Frosh and Soph offers.

What's strange to me is that ALL 231 kids in the SOPHOMORE CLASS are committed.

Obviously the same doesn't happen in football, basketball, etc.

Maybe it's just supply and demand, since there are vastly fewer lacrosse programs offering ships.

Originally posted by GaryMassey:
Was checking out lax power recruiting information...

Is it accurate that 231 incoming high school SOPHOMORES have committed to programs?

http://www.laxpower.com/recruits/recruits.php?db=recruits2016&action=viewRcd&order=Name

This seems crazy early to me given when high school basketball and football recruits commit?

Looks like we already have 3 recruits that will be high school sophs?
Lax is not a full schools sport. So money goes quick. Also, many kids choose schools based on academics, etc... School with cached like UVA, Hopkins, UNC, MD, beginning about 5 years ago thought they had a competitive advantage if they took kids early. Hell most kids get less than 1/4 scholly. Many don't get that until they prove themselves. Duke is doing it to but to a lesser exten now too. They accepted a commitment from Greg Pelton, Malvern Prep early his Soph season. For the first time this past year the Ivies jumped in. They tied up a face off guy from Philly who is a freshman and at the time had never played a varsity high school game. Their out is admission. The kids "commit to the application process." They give the kid a nod with parameters regarding gpa, SAT scores, etc. The parameters are better than the non athlete students, i.e, lower requirements. For lax they aren't as low as for football or basketball tho. I kid may need a 3.5. Take a min'm number of AP course, Get a 1900 on the SATs. That would never get them in an Ivy otherwise. Hell caucasian males from the burbs who have are valedictorians with 4.0+ gaps, a dozen AP courses, 2300 plus SATs, all kinds of extra curriculars are reject by the Ives in mass. This allows them to tie up talent. Its risky for the coaches so some of them then also recruited in more kids to improve their odds. This created a spiral which other schools have followed. Interestingly, Syracuse, probably the school with the worst grad rate for lax players in major NCAA lax, hasn't really followed suit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT