ADVERTISEMENT

any temple details?

From the University site Leer and Buford each had each had 13 while Sweeney had had 11. This is a deep team that I haven't seen play. I have a friend from Abington who told me about Leer, but there were some posters on this board that posted she was too slow. In high school she played all five positions on the floor at different times. There is a young lady at Utica ND
who is a soph averaging over 20+/game; she started and scored well as a frosh. That is Shelly Penneyfather's old school, and I imagine that Harry has heard about her.

Made the game but didn't have time to write anything up last night. Mel Greenberg's blog has more that I would have written - see link below.

Nova was solid throughout defensively, almost daring Temple to shoot from outside (they didn't) and sealing off pretty well inside. Temple shot horribly and Nova's offense was good enough to keep them in front the whole way. As Mel noted, Harry had them attacking inside from the get-go, forcing Temple's defense to attempt to double up and allowing for open passing lanes.

For the most part, Nova was able to prevent Temple from getting their running game going, scoring just enough to keep Temple from making a legitimate run at us. Few turnovers again (10 total, but one at the end when Nova was holding the ball and got a shot clock violation with 2 tenths of a second left). Burford seemed to re-discover her shot, going three of three for threes.

Sweeney was held to limited shots and points but really played a quite physical game, laying out one girl in the first half and three in the second (including two at one time!). Leer picked up the scoring on the front line, had two blocks and two more that were negated by dubious foul calls, getting lots of PT for a change.

Another tough test next Thursday with St. Bonaventure, off to their best start ever. Wins in the two remaining games this month would leave us in fine shape heading into the rest of the Big East schedule (including lots of home games) and leave open the possibility of getting an NCAA bid (seven more Big East wins and a win against Penn for the outright Big Five title would probably do it). Not an easy task, but this team seems capable.

Go Nova!

Mel Greenberg blog

Emily Durr must have played varsity as an eighth grader since she scored over 1000 points early in her sophomore year. This is an extension of a comment I made above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT