ADVERTISEMENT

BW Advice: negotiating car lease terms

Not really a fit thing, but I don't like the lower to the ground feel. It has just been really noticeable when I have driven a car ever since driving SUVs. It sounded like you had just driven cars. I hear ya.

546b60eb6ac01_-_wrap-up-2008-infiniti-ex35-lg.jpg

I would look at the Edge. Those are nice.

Merc, you bought an Infiniti, you deserve to hate it.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Give me what you want in the car and will do so.

Necessary:

4 Doors
Able to fit 4 adults, but not necessarily comfortably (I hate people mooching rides off of me)
Gently used or CPO ~$30k
Able to fit my bike in the trunk
AWD
Some semblance of quality handling
Must be able to delete/turn off driver assistance features. I hate blind spot monitoring with a passion.
Sub-7 second 0 to 60 time
Not a girl car
Not Japanese

Want:
Sub-5 second 0 to 60 time
Dual clutch transmission

I've been targeting S4's for a while, as the S4 is the best car I've ever driven. But they're a little too expensive on CPO (usually $35-$40k gently used), and there's a new model coming out next year. A4 is a girl car, and the A6/S6 are too big/too expensive. I run into the same problem with various 3 series configurations. MB is out, because they are old man cars.

I have also taken a look at the new S3, but you can't find them used since they just came out. It's almost exactly the same size as the original S4, which is the greatest car ever made by man. Also, has a Haldex AWD system that might as well be FWD, and I'm not sure if the back seat is large enough for my baby carrying needs. Plus, the S3 has the same exact engine, powertrain, steering, and brakes as the Golf R. Might as well save 10 grand and get the VW since the interior of the S3 isn't anything to write home about.

I drove the new Mustang GT, and loved it, but I don't think a 2 door car is in my future. Plus it's only a real mustang if it's a manual, and I can't daily drive a stick every day in traffic through the Lincoln tunnel.

Part of me wants to just get a VW GTI, since I've been driving such a mom car for the last few years, but I feel like that's too immature even for me. Same with the Ford Focus, which is actually lightning quick in the top trim. Ford Fusion is a nice size, but by the time you load it up with the big engine and AWD it's pretty pricey, and still not nearly as quick as it should be. Plus, boring.

Have taken a look at the MOPAR offerings, Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Charger. Big engines with huge power for not a lot of money. But they don't age well at all. Have seen some that are 2-3 years old sitting on lots that look like they are falling apart. They're a great value, though, and are pretty mean looking. Chevy SS is also pretty dope, but like the Mustang really only comes to life with the stick. I had also thought briefly about the Macan, but it's so new that there isn't really anything to speak of on the used market, and then my dad bought a Cayenne and I dislike it. So that's probably out too. Would love a Panamera, but $$.

The bigger Audis look amazing, especially the A7/S7, but I haven't driven one and I'm worried they are too boat-y for me. I need to feel like I'm zipping around even if I'm not. Plus, $$. They also tend to be old man cars, and I'm only 31.

S3 backseat is a joke. It handles way sportier than the S4 but the babyseat has no chance of fitting in the back.

Reactions: Villanova U
Necessary:

4 Doors
Able to fit 4 adults, but not necessarily comfortably (I hate people mooching rides off of me)
Gently used or CPO ~$30k
Able to fit my bike in the trunk
AWD
Some semblance of quality handling
Must be able to delete/turn off driver assistance features. I hate blind spot monitoring with a passion.
Sub-7 second 0 to 60 time
Not a girl car
Not Japanese

Want:
Sub-5 second 0 to 60 time
Dual clutch transmission

I've been targeting S4's for a while, as the S4 is the best car I've ever driven. But they're a little too expensive on CPO (usually $35-$40k gently used), and there's a new model coming out next year. A4 is a girl car, and the A6/S6 are too big/too expensive. I run into the same problem with various 3 series configurations. MB is out, because they are old man cars.

I have also taken a look at the new S3, but you can't find them used since they just came out. It's almost exactly the same size as the original S4, which is the greatest car ever made by man. Also, has a Haldex AWD system that might as well be FWD, and I'm not sure if the back seat is large enough for my baby carrying needs. Plus, the S3 has the same exact engine, powertrain, steering, and brakes as the Golf R. Might as well save 10 grand and get the VW since the interior of the S3 isn't anything to write home about.

I drove the new Mustang GT, and loved it, but I don't think a 2 door car is in my future. Plus it's only a real mustang if it's a manual, and I can't daily drive a stick every day in traffic through the Lincoln tunnel.

Part of me wants to just get a VW GTI, since I've been driving such a mom car for the last few years, but I feel like that's too immature even for me. Same with the Ford Focus, which is actually lightning quick in the top trim. Ford Fusion is a nice size, but by the time you load it up with the big engine and AWD it's pretty pricey, and still not nearly as quick as it should be. Plus, boring.

Have taken a look at the MOPAR offerings, Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Charger. Big engines with huge power for not a lot of money. But they don't age well at all. Have seen some that are 2-3 years old sitting on lots that look like they are falling apart. They're a great value, though, and are pretty mean looking. Chevy SS is also pretty dope, but like the Mustang really only comes to life with the stick. I had also thought briefly about the Macan, but it's so new that there isn't really anything to speak of on the used market, and then my dad bought a Cayenne and I dislike it. So that's probably out too. Would love a Panamera, but $$.

The bigger Audis look amazing, especially the A7/S7, but I haven't driven one and I'm worried they are too boat-y for me. I need to feel like I'm zipping around even if I'm not. Plus, $$. They also tend to be old man cars, and I'm only 31.
You're plainly an Audi fanboy, so just buy the CPO S4 and get it over with. You'll be happy with it.

Reactions: adp98
I am, but having owned 3 of them already I'm somewhat interested in trying another product. Always been intrigued by BMW. My wife has one currently and I like it, but it's nothing to write home about in my opinion. Plus, it would be weird to own two of the same car.

i'm not a big beamer guy. Stick with the Audi.

I am, but having owned 3 of them already I'm somewhat interested in trying another product. Always been intrigued by BMW. My wife has one currently and I like it, but it's nothing to write home about in my opinion. Plus, it would be weird to own two of the same car.
I've owned both and in my view the BMWs are just a little better overall but it is close and the Audis are a much better value. Plus there is the jagoff factor of owning a BMW, which is worse than the "hey, this is just as good as a BMW. No, really." factor of owning an Audi.

I always thought owning a BMW confirms you are a douche bag. Note, I say this from my glass house.

I've owned both and in my view the BMWs are just a little better overall but it is close and the Audis are a much better value. Plus there is the jagoff factor of owning a BMW, which is worse than the "hey, this is just as good as a BMW. No, really." factor of owning an Audi.

I feel the opposite about Audi being a better value. When we went through the lease process and compared Audi vs BMW, Audi wanted $100 more a month for a way more base model with significantly less upgrades in the car and less horsepower. We did enjoy how the Audi drove but not for nearly 4 grand more over the life of the lease. Plus the Audi dealer guys were total douches at both dealerships that we went to.

I feel the opposite about Audi being a better value. When we went through the lease process and compared Audi vs BMW, Audi wanted $100 more a month for a way more base model with significantly less upgrades in the car and less horsepower. We did enjoy how the Audi drove but not for nearly 4 grand more over the life of the lease. Plus the Audi dealer guys were total douches at both dealerships that we went to.
I went through this too with a lease. I think that BMW just gives crazy good lease deals to get cars moving off the lots. My wife and I were comparing a 328 and an A4 with almost identical options, and the MRSP of both were within $200 of each other. We openly shopped the 2 cars against each other, and basically the BMW guys were able to beat the Audi lease offer by over $100/month with the same amount down. It was no contest.

In a non-lease situation, I don't think that's an issue at all.

I don't lease, so you are both probably correct. I was only speaking about buying. Of course once you figure in residual value Audi probably isn't a better value, either.

All depends on the dealer, what they are moving, where you live, incentives that month etc....

I went through this too with a lease. I think that BMW just gives crazy good lease deals to get cars moving off the lots. My wife and I were comparing a 328 and an A4 with almost identical options, and the MRSP of both were within $200 of each other. We openly shopped the 2 cars against each other, and basically the BMW guys were able to beat the Audi lease offer by over $100/month with the same amount down. It was no contest.

In a non-lease situation, I don't think that's an issue at all.

We were comparing the same two cars. MSRP of the BMW we went with was $9k more than the A4, and the A4 wanted $100 more a month for the base model without nearly the options in the BMW. Even with the incentives taken off of the BMW, it was still $4k more MSRP.

When we told the Audi guy this and laid out the numbers he basically said to us that it sounds like we're getting a better deal there and we should go that route. Solid selling tactic buddy.

We were comparing the same two cars. MSRP of the BMW we went with was $9k more than the A4, and the A4 wanted $100 more a month for the base model without nearly the options in the BMW. Even with the incentives taken off of the BMW, it was still $4k more MSRP.

When we told the Audi guy this and laid out the numbers he basically said to us that it sounds like we're getting a better deal there and we should go that route. Solid selling tactic buddy.

Why is that a solid selling tactic? They just turned around and sold the same car to another consumer who didn't do as much homework or wanted the car more. That Audi still sold, just to someone else. Maybe in your area, Audi's were selling better so they could drive a harder deal.

Why is that a solid selling tactic? They just turned around and sold the same car to another consumer who didn't do as much homework or wanted the car more. That Audi still sold, just to someone else. Maybe in your area, Audi's were selling better so they could drive a harder deal.
I can't believe the guy wouldn't take a loss for me!

so if you worked on a commission only basis like a car sales rep, would you turn away a lead without even trying or faking that you were trying? I was very turned off by the whole process from Audi, it was like we were doing them a favor by considering their vehicles.

I don't imagine you get paid for selling something at a loss from the number pegged by the owner of the product. Do you understand how unit per sale or good works? If I sell you something for $200 that I can get $250 for I lost money. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.

I don't imagine you get paid for selling something at a loss from the number pegged by the owner of the product. Do you understand how unit per sale or good works? If I sell you something for $200 that I can get $250 for I lost money. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.

as someone who works in the sales field yes i do understand these things. i also understand how important it is to fake effort and actually try to sell a product.

just turned me off from the brand overall.

So did you go with a White 328 with the tan interior like everyone else? That's what we did.

Pretty much the standard young professional girl car of our generation.

2015-bmw-328i-xdrive-736-p3.jpg

So did you go with a White 328 with the tan interior like everyone else? That's what we did.

Pretty much the standard young professional girl car of our generation.

2015-bmw-328i-xdrive-736-p3.jpg

yessir we sure did. 328xi, white, tan interior. came with the nav and touch iDrive thing for typing in addresses that we never use but it was fun for about a month.

it's the 3rd white car in a row for my wife.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT