ADVERTISEMENT

Car Washing

JMerc2

VUSports.com Addict
Dec 7, 2011
Why does nobody wash their cars, ever? It's winter, and there is salt everywhere. People's cars are covered in salt that will literally ruin them. All you need to do is spray it with a hose and wash it off.

Even when the weather is nice, maybe 1/10 cars you see on the road is actually taken care of. And the weird thing is, people with nice cars don't seem to do any better with this than people with crummy cars. I see tons of high end luxury cars (always in black, the toughest color to take care of) that aren't that old but look like they've been through Iraq. And when people do get their cars washed, they invariably end up with swirl marks and all this nonsense that makes the paint look even worse, and my personal favorite, that garbage tire shine that makes your tires turn brown after a few uses.

How hard is it to get your car detailed 1-2 times a year? It makes all the difference in the world.

Good question. I think it has mostly to do with the disposable mindset most people have with car, rooted in the practice of leasing vehicles. People do not have a long term game plan for their car because they have no interest in keeping the car long term. They just say 'eff it, i'm turning it in next year', the new one will look nice etc.

Got off the leasing cycle recently and happy to be thinking longer term these days. Kind of a mission now to see how long I can keep my current vehicles, which includes proper regular maintenance and cleaning. Thank you Weather Tec.

Originally posted by MakingLove2BeckyLobo:
Poor people suck.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Agreed here. Why don't they just make more money?

But it's not just poor people. It's people with nice cars too. You're going to drop $100k on a 911 and then not even take the time to keep it clean?

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Good question. I think it has mostly to do with the disposable mindset most people have with car, rooted in the practice of leasing vehicles. People do not have a long term game plan for their car because they have no interest in keeping the car long term. They just say 'eff it, i'm turning it in next year', the new one will look nice etc.

Got off the leasing cycle recently and happy to be thinking longer term these days. Kind of a mission now to see how long I can keep my current vehicles, which includes proper regular maintenance and cleaning. Thank you Weather Tec.
But when you lease a car, aren't you charged when you turn it in based on wear and tear? I've only leased one car in my life (recently leased a second for my wife), and I took fanatical care of it, and they still charged me $500 bucks when I turned it in because of some door dings and whatnot. I can't imagine what they do to people when you've taken their brand new car and turned it into a jalopy after 3 years of renting it.

I take great care of my vehicles. My wife however is a complete slob with her cars. It drives me nuts. Naturally she has a black SUV. Why? Great question. I find women use their cars as a place to deposit wrappers, crackers, coffee and just about anything imaginable. In addition, kids make cars disgusting. The obvious answer is to get them washed with regularity. Even if you don't get them detailed just do a car wash once a month (I usually do this for my wife because I hate driving around in a dirty car). What I don't understand men who drops loads of money on a car and refuse to take car of it. Owning, leasing etc...shouldn't matter. Who wants to drive around in a disgusting car. Especially one that is nice and cost a lot of money. Makes no sense.

Originally posted by JMerc2:

Originally posted by MakingLove2BeckyLobo:
Poor people suck.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Agreed here. Why don't they just make more money?

But it's not just poor people. It's people with nice cars too. You're going to drop $100k on a 911 and then not even take the time to keep it clean?
The dude that has a place next to me at Okemo drives a Turbo Porsche Panamera with a friggin ski rack that is constantly covered in salt. Can't even tell what color it is. I've often wondered the same thing.

Originally posted by adp98:
I take great care of my vehicles. My wife however is a complete slob with her cars. It drives me nuts. Naturally she has a black SUV. Why? Great question. I find women use their cars as a place to deposit wrappers, crackers, coffee and just about anything imaginable. In addition, kids make cars disgusting. The obvious answer is to get them washed with regularity. Even if you don't get them detailed just do a car wash once a month (I usually do this for my wife because I hate driving around in a dirty car). What I don't understand men who drops loads of money on a car and refuse to take car of it. Owning, leasing etc...shouldn't matter. Who wants to drive around in a disgusting car. Especially one that is nice and cost a lot of money. Makes no sense.
This resembles my situation almost exactly. We just bought my wife a new suburban and I was optimistic that it would remain clean for some period of time - WRONG. Now, in my wife's defense, my kids think the car is a dinner table (partially our fault for allowing them to eat in it), so she constantly has snacks for them - but never cleans them up - just let's them accumulate. My kids just leave stuff in there too - they know not to do that in my car.

Fine, not my car. However, because her car is a f*&^ing tank, she drives my car much more frequently these days and just leaves stuff there. I take everything out of my car.

I will admit, though, I don't wash the outside of my car as frequently as I should. Why? Because as soon as I get it washed in the winter, more salt on the way home. We're constantly bombarded by slippery weather, so kind of is what it is in Boston. Plus, I have sh*&^y car wash options

This is where a snow Mexican comes in handy.

You pay a little bit of attention to them and they'll detail your car.

th

There is a place near me that does inside and out - and mean everything scrubbed clean, including using compressed air to blow crap out of hard to reach places and cracks - for 20 bucks.

Yes, you are responsible for wear and tear, but a good detailing at the end of the lease basically cures anything that is superficial. You can really abuse a car like most wives do for a few years and not really do much permanent damage.

I lease and flip my car every two years. As long as you get another one i've never paid wear and tear. My last one the dealer ate 800 in body work as well.

Wives and kids destroy the interior of cars...don't understand it...if they just don't eat in it all the time and take their shit with them when they get out, it would improve ten fold.

Originally posted by owlaboutit:
Wives and kids destroy the interior of cars...don't understand it...if they just don't eat in it all the time and take their shit with them when they get out, it would improve ten fold.
just when I was looking for another reason to never get married, you provide one. thanks

Preach on. My wife's car (black SUV as well) is a freakin disaster. Makes for an easy add on Birthday/Anniversary/whatever gift though, grab it for an afternoon and get it detailed, she loves it but doesn't stay that way for more than a week.

I take great care of my vehicles. My wife however is a complete slob with her cars. It drives me nuts. Naturally she has a black SUV. Why? Great question. I find women use their cars as a place to deposit wrappers, crackers, coffee and just about anything imaginable. In addition, kids make cars disgusting.
I am always amazed at the degree to which my wife's car is like a closet. Who knows what is in there.

I force my kids to take everything out of the car that they took in with them. I hate clutter and don't want to live with theirs in my car.

My wife must have at least 5 empty water bottles in her car at all times. And by no means is any cargo ever kept in the trunk. Yoga mat, umbrella, blanket, groceries, 2 purses, some bags from the mall, about 14 pairs of shoes, and an extra jacket all sit in the back seat. The trunk is totally empty.

For me, washing the car infrequently (maybe a couple times a year) is a function of two things:

1. Lack of conveniently located car washes, when I lived downtown in Philly and now close-in DC suburbs. Need to go out of my way to find a decent car wash, or really any car wash. With so much else to do, just never seems worth a special trip and expense of 30-45 minutes or more, don't care to make it a priority, especially...

2. No garage at my house. Occasional heavy rains do a nice job cleaning off salt.

The wife takes the somewhat nicer car a little more frequently, when she's getting it serviced or whatnot. She has time for such things.

Dmil, the place near you that details cars, is it a mom and pop detailer?

My solution to this problem is that I never drive unless it is sunny and dry......keep my vehicles in the garage. All other reason to go out can wait, or I con someone else into picking me up.......
Someone brought up my snow mexicans......I'm going to ask them if they would be interested in washing my cars.....in the unlikely event that I would take them out of the garage in inclement weather.

Originally posted by Mainliner II:
My solution to this problem is that I never drive unless it is sunny and dry......keep my vehicles in the garage. All other reason to go out can wait, or I con someone else into picking me up.......
Someone brought up my snow mexicans......I'm going to ask them if they would be interested in washing my cars.....in the unlikely event that I would take them out of the garage in inclement weather.
Ask them? Make them use Q-tips and a toothbrush.

Originally posted by Novacatt94:
I doubt laborers are any good at detailing cars. It's actually very difficult to do it right.

Originally posted by JMerc2:

Originally posted by Novacatt94:

I doubt laborers are any good at detailing cars. It's actually very difficult to do it right.
Don't underestimate those Mexicans. They can do just about anything that they set their minds to.

Note: adp, sorry to copy you but you have described by feelings and situation with 100% accuracy, right down to the black SUV. They just don't value nice cars like they should.

sharing a car with my fiancee has been brutal. is it women's nature to just leave trash or water bottles wherever they want and never pick them up? and we might as well not have a trunk, it's just a closet/storage for her. we have a big lamp that she has to return to pier 1 for our wedding (broken i think, i don't know, i don't listen) that has been in there for multiple weeks without being returned.

sharing a car with my fiancee has been brutal. is it women's nature to just leave trash or water bottles wherever they want and never pick them up? and we might as well not have a trunk, it's just a closet/storage for her. we have a big lamp that she has to return to pier 1 for our wedding (broken i think, i don't know, i don't listen) that has been in there for multiple weeks without being returned.

Trouble in paradise.

burrsies you need to clikc on the litlle square with a + in the middle of it. its right next to the save draft button in the quick reply box.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT