ADVERTISEMENT

CoP fans, care to "weigh" in?

I can't believe the 76ers fans who refused to acknowledge that 19 yr old 7 footers with knee problems tend to have knee problems for a while. Ghost of Greg oden.

I can't wait for gdog and burrsies to deny that they were fighting anybody who questioned this draft pick last summer. They will act like they agreed with the non-CoPers all along.

We have any photographic evidence of this? He looked pretty thin on draft day - seems like getting to 300 would be pretty tough. I imagine he's rehabbing under Sixers care so can't see him reporting to a work out on a weekly basis and this being allowed to happen.

Is Pompey a good source?

Embiid has a weight issue. Although the Sixers wouldn't disclose his weight, a source said he's close to 300 pounds after being 250 pounds at Kansas last season.

His work ethic is being questioned by some inside the organization.

And a blowup with assistant strength and conditioning coach James Davis is one of the reasons he was sent home during the team's recent West Coast road trip.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150118_Inside_the_Sixers__Questions_surround_Embiid_s_conditioning__maturity.html#OtzhwGlMmeOKE6Y7.99

Long way to go before next October. Not a great development but not the end of the world.

Some are saying that the frustration Embiid has is coming from him believing that he is ready to start doing more full contact training (I.e. He's not actually that badly injured) and the Sixers telling him he basically can't do anything,

Biggest concern is that the added weight will make his body more prone to injury when he does come back. This needs to be handled delicately. The kid is 19 - when I was 19 and saw anything interesting going on I had a severe fear of missing out, I'd be frustrated too if I was him. Still, it's hard to argue at this point that Joel has a great player's mindset. Unfortunately, all we can do is wait. I give him the benefit of the doubt - I think he wants to be great, but maybe it hasn't sunk in to his head yet just how serious you have to take basketball to be a great player. Once he plays against real competition (college competition is basically a joke for someone of his size/athleticism), we'll see how he approaches things.

Embiid disputes the story and states that he's never been over 275. He was on the bench last week yucking up when they won a couple of games. In street clothes, but he didn't look to be carrying anything excessive in terms of weight. Difficult time for the kid. He can't play, his 13-year old brother was tragically killed in a car accident, he's a world away from his family. I'm sure frustration has set in at times here.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:
Embiid disputes the story and states that he's never been over 275. He was on the bench last week yucking up when they won a couple of games. In street clothes, but he didn't look to be carrying anything excessive in terms of weight. Difficult time for the kid. He can't play, his 13-year old brother was tragically killed in a car accident, he's a world away from his family. I'm sure frustration has set in at times here.
He lives in a shitty city. The organization is a joke. He didn't want to go to that team.

I feel bad for the kid as well.

Originally posted by 50ShadesOfCreigh:
More trouble in paradise. Noel and MCW supposedly hate each other.
tumblr_mr6tkrq2lv1qzs49eo1_500.gif

can you blame Embiid? the Sixers wont let him do full 5 on 5 drills cause if he does than per NBA league rules he has to talk to the media. if he doesnt than he cant talk to the media. so the Sixers arent letting him practice because of that rule.

the franchise is a joke, Hinkie is a joke.

i feel badly for the players and the coaches. its a fake job. go out and lose or we will trade you for a second round pick.

Novaball, no one tells the players to go out and lose. They lose because they are the youngest team in the league and just aren't good enough.

I'll say it again. Hinkie won't be permitted to do this forever. There will be a time when he'll have to throw his cards on the table. It will be plain to see for everyone. And at that time we'll be able to rip him, say ok it's not bad, or call him a genius.

And that's not why he's not doing 5-on-5's at this time. They are bringing him along slowly. Like they did with Noel. They don't believe he is ready for that yet. Personally, I'd like to see him play in some games this year, but I'm not sure that will happen. Probably not.

Burrs, i know they arent telling them to lose , but they are putting a team out there that cant win. its almost the same thing.

from what i read is they dont want him talking to the media so keep him out of the 5 on 5 drills. im sure the injury has something to do with that as well.

people are impatient, Hinke needs to get a full squad together next season, play Embiied Noel MCW and the 2015 draft pick. then in 2016 bring over Saric and give it a go. if he is gonna keep pulling this BS of not playing his draft picks and trading for assets then he has to go cause its clear he has no plan and is just buying time.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:
Novaball, no one tells the players to go out and lose. They lose because they are the youngest team in the league and just aren't good enough.
That's what she said.

0316065_19710_MC_Tx360.jpg

novaball, the NBA rule is that players can't talk to the media until they are ready for 5-5 drills. He's obviously not ready. They aren't purposely holding him out for the reason. The other players talk to the media, so why would they care if Embiid did. They don't want him having to answer the same questions while he rehabs. It's not a big deal.

He drafted two players in back-to-back drafts that were arguably the best player in the draft. Both of these guys were hurt. It's not like he told healthy guys they couldn't play. The Saric pick was another value pick and he would have been drafted higher if he said he was coming right over. The Sixers were a team that can afford to wait, so they took the best player available. Yea, should have taken Gary Harris, McDermott, James Young, etc these guys are lighting it up.

I get that people are impatient. I'm impatient, but I really have no say, so I choose to ride it out. It can't go on forever, so that keeps me hopeful.

Next year they should have six Top 16 picks from the last three years. I'm not sure all of these guys will be here or can be here, but even if you move something you should get something decent in return. The ascension needs to begin next year. I'm not saying playoffs, but some evidence suggesting, ok I like where this is headed.

Remember, last year was really the breaking it down year. This year started the process over. Personally, I don't need them signing veteran guys who might take them from 15 wins to 24 wins. What purpose does that serve besides laying financial constraints on the club for multiple years. With players you probably don;t want and will be hard to move. Just let these young guys play, hopefully a sleeper develops in doing so. For example, I like how Covington has played. Grant is starting to show signs and could be a kid that sticks in the long run. McDaniels has been up and down, but there is ability there. Noel is getting better. I'm not completely sold on MCW, but we'll see.

Burrs, yesterday was my first chance to get an extended look at the Sixers. Obviously it was only one game but my goodness they are awful. I'm not going to sit here and act like I watch them play or get in tons of NBA viewing. I saw a team who has one real NBA rotation guy in Noel. MCW stinks. He's a heist who should be traded while he still has any value. He cannot be someone counted on as a leader or building block on this team. From my seat I don't see a team that has any pieces beyond Noel. Your best case for Grant/McDaniels are 8th or 9th men on decent teams. The Sixers have absolutely nothing resembling NBA talent or anything close. I don't see how they are a draft or two away. Hopefully I just caught them on a bad day, Embiid returns healthy and the Euro kid is Dirk like at a similar age. However, their current crop is awful. Please tell me I'm wrong.

you are 100% right, they have two starters on the team MCW and Noel, McDaniels is maybe an 8th guy and Wroten maybe a 7th guy off the bench.

my point is they need to get a full squad together next year. all the picks, play them for a year see what needs to be added, subtracted, traded, etc.

cant have 3 years of tanking.

the Knicks are so bad Langston Galloway from St Joes had 21 points for them in the win. 1-16 in the last 17! only in NY.

ADP, you might not be wrong. Their inexperience, lack of talent , etc really shines thru vs the better teams in the league. I didn't see much yesterday. MCW is up and down. I think he puts too much on his plate and when things go bad, like yesterday, they really go bad. He has encouraging games every now and then. I think with better talent around him then his warts wouldn't be as evident.

I didn't always feel this way. I used to be a guy that said you can either play or can;t play from day one in the league. And though that still holds true, there are many examples of players not hitting their peak ability until 3+ years down the line. The problem isn't that these guys shouldn't be in the league, it's that they're all on one team.

Yea, Grant/McDaniels might max out as 8/9th guys on a decent team, but I stillt hink it's too soon to classify them anything.

If players like Leonard/Butler become available, then I really believe the Sixers should throw max money at them. If there current teams match, then so be it. I wouldn't mind a crack at Daymond Green, even Gerald Green from PHO. If you are going to go after a FA, then it has to be someone young enough who can grow with the team. We'll see if any of that is possible this offseason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT