ADVERTISEMENT

CoPhillies offseason

Kicking things off by signing a horrific outfielder, Peter Bourjos! Trust the confusion!
Horrific is a bit harsh. He is a pretty good defensive player - or at least he was and has good speed. He is better than some of the crap they have had in the OF lately. They got him off waivers, either way I don't think it's a move that even deserves much scrutiny. If only they could merge him with Revere - Bourjos would play the field and Revere would hit!

Why waste $2M an alright defensive outfielder who cannot do anything offensively? He's a .240 hitter with no power and doesn't get on base. They've probably got 5 guys in their farm system that could do that today. What's the point?

Reactions: Box+1
Why waste $2M an alright defensive outfielder who cannot do anything offensively? He's a .240 hitter with no power and doesn't get on base. They've probably got 5 guys in their farm system that could do that today. What's the point?
Actually, when you put it that way - I agree with you. Why not bring up a Roman Quinn or someone like that?

I figure that Altherr and Herrera have 2 of 3 OF spots locked up. I hope the Cody Asche OF experiment is over, I know he has the look of a guy who can hit (short, compact swing like Utley) but he has shown that he is nothing more than a .250 hitter with occasional pop. I would be ok with him being a bench player, but there is no way he should be getting regular ABs anymore.

I agree. I forgot about Odubel! I would be fine with the other OF spot be a platoon of young guys.

I've seen enough of Ruf. I agree with Asche. I'm not 100% done with him. But there's almost no chance that he's got another level.

I thought about posting when I saw this -- horrible pickup that seems like something we would've seen the last couple years. Can't believe they're willing going to go to arbitration where the guy is likely to get $2 million. Can only hope those reported numbers are wrong and he ends up getting closer to the league minimum -- but hey, it's not our money.

Ruf needs to be in a platoon with Howard at 1B and if he outperforms Howard then he should get ABs vs RH as well.

A Howard/Ruf platoon last year would have looked something like this:

Ruf vs LH: .371/.447/.660 8 HR 22 RBI
Howard vs RH: .256/.304/.449 20 HR 67 RBI

Ruf actually ended up with the highest OPS vs LH last year in the majors. It really is a joke that the platoon didn't happen last year.

2M for a 4th outfielder is about the norm. He's not a terrible player. 2 yrs ago dude was a centerpiece to the David Freese trade but he's obviously dissapointed. I mean, does it really matter? Phillies arent gonna spend any $ for at least another season anyway. Nothing to get too upset about here.

2M for a 4th outfielder is about the norm. He's not a terrible player. 2 yrs ago dude was a centerpiece to the David Freese trade but he's obviously dissapointed. I mean, does it really matter? Phillies arent gonna spend any $ for at least another season anyway. Nothing to get too upset about here.
I guess all 4 for 4 teams have a "Trust the Process"

Reactions: The_Expansion_Crew
The Phillies are going to stink for a few years. Everyone knows this. Baseball is cyclical. They have some good young pieces in place and on the farm. With the TV contract they have and all the $ they have cleared off the books it wont be too long before they're back in the mix.

Why bother signing below average players with no upside? He's 28 and is 5 seasons removed from his career year, where he hit .271. F#ck defense while you're rebuilding.

Why bother signing below average players with no upside? He's 28 and is 5 seasons removed from his career year, where he hit .271. F#ck defense while you're rebuilding.

He's only gonna be around a year or 2 and makes low level money. I don't see what the difference is. They're not gonna dump real $ into anyone for 2 yrs. They're just biding time til these young guys like Crawford, Williams, Alfaro, Thompson, Knapp are up from the farm.

Didn't I start a thread titled "MLB offseason"? Why isn't this in there you jackaloons?

He's only gonna be around a year or 2 and makes low level money. I don't see what the difference is. They're not gonna dump real $ into anyone for 2 yrs. They're just biding time til these young guys like Crawford, Williams, Alfaro, Thompson, Knapp are up from the farm.
It's not about the money, it's about the playing time. Invest that playing time in a player that might use it to improve. As opposed to a known quantity zilch that one of the smartest teams let go.

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
Altherr and Odubel will start in left and center. Williams will eventually be up to start in right. Who exactly are you worried about being blocked by a 2M outfielder? He's just depth. Williams isn't ready yet. He will be eventually. And when he's ready he will play. What's the big deal? Unless you think Roman Quinn is ready to play in the bigs?

Darnell Sweeney. Wouldn't mind seeing Quinn midseason. Depth is bullshit. Keep all your crappy depth players in Allentown for use only if someone with actual potential gets hurt.

Sweeney will play all over. He's an uber-utility guy. I have my doubts he's anything more than that though.

You have your doubts about a utility guy with a month of MLB experience, but you're on board for proven craphole Peter Bourjos?

Bourjos wont be on the team in 2 yrs. Dodgers gave up Sweeney for a month and a half of a backup infielder.

Bourjos wont be on the team in 2 yrs.

Exactly my point, slugger. Everything they do now, spending and allocation of player time. Should be in service of being a better team a couple years down the road. Why bother with schmoes like Bourjos that have no chance of being at that point.

Interesting note - I had a conversation with a Phillies employee whose hours got cut in recent years to avoid having to provide him with healthcare. Paying Ryan Howard $22M, but won't give healthcare to the guy who shines his cleats. THANKS, OBAMA!

Interesting note - I had a conversation with a Phillies employee whose hours got cut in recent years to avoid having to provide him with healthcare. Paying Ryan Howard $22M, but won't give healthcare to the guy who shines his cleats. THANKS, OBAMA!
CoP post of the day.

Rule 5 draft: picked up Goedell, a speedy AA .270 hitter and a AA lefty.
Will they play him in the OF or let Bourjos further convince the world that he is a nothing?
Or Francoeur? At first I wanted him back as a veteran presence, but there is literally no point in that. Might as well see what this guy has instead of Bourjos for sure.

Just went to philly.com to read some nova bashing and saw that the Phillies are also tanking now?

Phillies signed Frieri to minor league deal. Solid risk-reward scenario.

I tried to read that article by that hack Sielski earlier on philly.com -- couldn't/had no interest in finishing it because it seemed like it was written by a 12 year old. While not well stated I agree with the premise -- you just dealt your only clear stud on the pitching staff, with 5 years of club control left, and didn't get any of the Astros top couple of prospects back.

The bottom line to me is -- what was the rush to do this right now? Only upside I can see is maybe they know Giles dabbles in PEDs, or maybe he's trying to pull a Hinkie and conceal some bad medical info like the Jrue Holiday trade?

If Giles is as legit as he seems based on what we've seen, should have held out for more quality.

I tried to read that article by that hack Sielski earlier on philly.com -- couldn't/had no interest in finishing it because it seemed like it was written by a 12 year old. While not well stated I agree with the premise -- you just dealt your only clear stud on the pitching staff, with 5 years of club control left, and didn't get any of the Astros top couple of prospects back.

The bottom line to me is -- what was the rush to do this right now? Only upside I can see is maybe they know Giles dabbles in PEDs, or maybe he's trying to pull a Hinkie and conceal some bad medical info like the Jrue Holiday trade?

If Giles is as legit as he seems based on what we've seen, should have held out for more quality.

The Sielski article was mocking people who criticize the Sixers for tanking as the Phillies are doing the same thing.

I look at it this way - Giles is a power arm. Look at a guy like Fieri - power arm - who lost his power and is now mediocre to bad. Trade Giles now before his arm falls off down the line. Plus the Phillies won't have a ton of games for him to try and save anyhow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT