ADVERTISEMENT

Coyer twins Oakton Virginia

tab

VUSports.com All-American
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2001
Apparently, have given a verbal to Villanova. Their brother plays quarterback for Temple. Guards 5'10" prototypical Harry players (blonde with ponytails). Steve T. close to you geographically any additional info?

Article on the Coyer twins commitment

"When they decided they would only play college basketball together, the sisters’ recruiting options grew more limited. Caroline, the flashier basketball player and Virginia AAA Northern Region player of the year, was more heavily recruited by college coaches. Katherine, a stalwart defender on the hardwood, was a more sought-after soccer player.

Six schools dropped out of the running when the sisters make their decision. But more than a dozen remained interested in both sisters, with Villanova at the forefront.

The sisters had also considered James Madison, Pittsburgh, St. Joseph’s and Texas Christian as finalists, their father said.

Villanova is “a program that feels very strongly about both of them,” said their father, Chris. “And a program that feels that they will make a significant impact to their program.”

Playing at Villanova gives them the opportunity to not only play in the Big East, but also to play under longtime coach Harry Perretta. But it also keeps the sisters close to their brother, Chris, an Oakton graduate and sophomore quarterback at nearby Temple.

Villanova last reached the NCAA Tournament in the 2008-09 season, the ninth time under Perretta’s tenure.

“They’re really excited,” Chris Coyer said.

Over JMU, Pitt, St. Joe's, and TCU

Thanks Tab and Pride - I don't follow the H.S. hoops so I never know about any potential recruits until someone else fills me in. I attached the link to another article that you might find interesting.

Any idea of the teams that were looking at the better sister that dropped out after they decided they were a package deal?
This post was edited on 5/8 8:32 PM by tpenter

Coyer sisters are a package deal

Hey guys. Just checked with some people. Again, no program changer, but nothing new. Seriously doubt if St. Joes would have offered both a scholarship. The better one, yes. Better one is similar to Getty. Maybe not quite as good. Lets put it this way. With Kurz we went to NCAA once. She played 2 years. Kurz did not do it alone. Can say more about the recruits but its the same.

To set the record straight, St. Joes offered them 3 years ago, before they ever hit high school, stuck with the twins, and they were very disappointed at their commitment to Nova. They liked St. Joes, but weren't over excited about going there like they felt at Nova.
They had 19 offers to go together at the time they committed to Nova, including several BE schools. The six schools that dropped out a year ago -two, UConn & Ohio State, only wanted Caroline. One only wanted Katherine (Minnesota), and three schools only had one guard scholly for the 2012 class. That article is misleading at best.

The twins really like the girls currently in the program. But I will tell you that they are much quicker and faster than most, very athletic, and they've had considerable success in the past few years against many of the recruits going to other BE schools. Both have national pedigrees and both can play. For instance, Notre Dame and Michigan State wanted them both, they just didn't want to go that far away and dismissed both schools more than a year ago. They are the headliners of a HS team that beat two of the best teams from Philly in Naples last Christmas - Archbishop Wood and Germantown Academy. They crushed Germantown. In that game, Katherine, the "less recruited" twin, held Alexa Gallagher(USA invitee, Depaul commit) to 3 points. Alexa couldn't hardly get a shot off against her. That's what Katherine does. She locks down anyone and everyone she faces, including 7 players this year who played in the McDonalds game. Caroline, the PG, is already in the VA State record books in several scoring and assist categories. She will finish her HS career next season as arguably the 2nd most prolific PG in state history, behind Jasmine Thomas (Duke).

Both play their best basketball in transition, which is a definite departure from what you might associate with Nova WBB. I think you will find that the recruits coming in from the 2011 class and forward will be more athletic and speedy compared to what you might normally expect.

Program changers? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. I DO know that you will enjoy watching them play, and I suggest you get to know them a bit before casually dismissing them as not worthy of your time and interest. When's the last time Nova got a player over UConn, ND, and Ohio State?
This post was edited on 5/10 8:16 AM by ccoyer

Thanks Mr. Coyer. Many of us have been around this program for a long time. Some longer than others. Some may have even had daughters play for Nova, although you may not be able to tell by reading the board. Believe me, we do not casually dismiss players. Maria Getty was player of the year in Ohio. We all love the players and the program and continue to support it in good and bad. I have never seen your daughters play, but asked around with some AAU people who have seen them play and others. Believe me, I would not rely on anything the Belles owner would say.
Any way, did Harry say how long he was going to continue coaching? I heard this may be his last year. Good luck here. Nove offers a great education and to play in the Big East is a remarkable experience.

Pleased to make your acquaintance...

The Belles? I know the girls pissed the Nike Belles team off plenty at USJN Nationals last year. The girls AAU team, the Potomac Valley Vogues, were in the same pool. The Vogues won the pool and the Belles went home.

The Vogues aren't a Nike club like the Belles. You will find that the Nike clubs will always dump on any non-Nike player or club as a general rule, especially if they are beaten by one. That goes for ESPN HoopGurlz as well. They will really only rank the Nike players or their personal pet projects as they're heavily subsidized by Nike.

As far as we know, Harry is going to be around for awhile. As you may know, he has young kids which serves as a yardstick of sorts. We love Harry, but even if he said he was leaving it wouldn't have changed the girls decision. They want to be at Nova for all the right reasons IMHO. I will tell you that part of the reason the girls committed is that we really like the players Harry and staff are currently recruiting. It bodes extremely well for the future of Nova WBB and isn't symptomatic of any coach getting ready to check out. I think you guys will really like who they bring in over the next few years.
This post was edited on 5/10 3:49 PM by ccoyer

Welcome to the Nova program Coyer family! I honestly think that the staff has ramped up their efforts to bring in more athleticism so they can compete better in the Big East and beyond. Sounds like the Coyer sisters are proof of that. It may take a few years but I think eventually it will show.

Obviously getting in Villanova tells us they are rock solid students in the classroom as well!!

Thanks, Coach4pride.

We will be pleased to root for Nova 364 days a year. The only exception will be Sept 3, I think. On that day, Nova Nation will get its butt kicked in a manner in which it is not familiar.
3dgrin.gif
Then we can repatriot.

Thanks, I was looking for an "inside" source but didn't expect it to come from the actual household! Welcome to all family members to the Nove family and to your personal input to the board. Lord knows we could use some fresh blood here - it's been a pretty dismal two years.

Great to hear your girls are good transition players. Hopefully Harry will actually let them play that way. Still remember him almost horse-collaring Laura Kurz in one of her firt Nova games as she wanted to take the rebound and run up the court. He did seem to let Devon Kane run the court a bit late last year however. Maybe the times are a changin'.

Not a Nova grad, I love the women's game and have adopted Nova as my local team, for better or worse. Let us know if you are making it to a game during the upcoming year - always a pleasure to talk to the parents who have played such a big part in getting their daughters to where they are.

I am sure that you will enjoy your summer, knowing that you have two college educations paid for. Will be paying for my only child's education loans for at least another ten years (past my anticipated retirement age!)

I'm happy to join the comings and goings on this board, but with one rule -

I won't answer any specific questions or bring light to any team activities or strategies as I may become aware of them, including specific questions regarding players or personnel activity. I will err on the side of caution at all times.

This is the same rule I have on the Temple football board, and it works out pretty well. If you ask me a question that I can't or won't answer, its no big deal. I'll just let you know I can't comment.

Other than that, let's have some fun.

As it should be. Most of the banter on here for the past few years has been with regard to Harry's style of play and his recruiting success or lack thereof, especially girls of size and agility that can play inside during the B/E schedule. Some followers on the board are not able to get to the Nova games so game recaps and other info that don't make it onto the Nova website are helpful for them. If someone has a bad game we don't beat around the bush, but then again sometimes kudos are given for plays that doesn't necessarially show up in the box scores.

Welcome. I am one of soon to be 11 VU graduates in our family. My son VU 2007 is getting married 10/1 at VU . His soon to be wife is 2008 VU. Thus we are somewhat of a VU family and all nuts about the school. I get on this site daily but rarely post. I think you already get the drift that we have a few people who will tear into 18 year old kids without ever seeing them play or knowing anything about them. Thats about the only time I post to ask them to lay off the kids. Thankfully no one is posting about our day to day lives. Wish the best to both of your daughters in basketball and all other aspects of VU

In reading my post maybe tear in was the wrong way to say it. Your use of dismiss is probably more accurate. I think we can all agree that some posts do tear into the mens team. Remember though they are only kids or young men and women.

It comes with the territory. The twins have been dealing with this stuff for years, as they were thrust into the media years ago. Opposing players who have never played against them, or seen them play, want to dismiss them as well with the eyeball test. They look like harmless ponytails....until the ball goes up at center court and they surgically remove your hope of beating their team.

They're 79-5 in high school so far and, in approximately 1000 sanctioned games during their lifetime, I don't think they've lost 20 times. In short, they flat out win, and it takes an aligning of the stars to beat them. That's the attitude I hope they bring to Villanova WBB.

So, if Mike Flynn (Belles) wants to bash them to someone on this board, so be it. But his team went home early while the twins' team advanced out of the same pool. Sour grapes I think.

So, I get annoyed at Flynn or one of his butt boys for dismissing them and not at anyone on this board (Needatobaby, I think) who knows no better but asks for their opinion and posts it.
chairshot.gif

This post was edited on 5/12 7:55 AM by ccoyer

Not sure if that was a criticism of me, but have had worse said. Any way, I have heard a lot and seen a lot of women's hoops. High school, AAU and college. I enjoy it and try not to be personal, especially with the players. I liked what you said about winning, because I believe that is an attitude that is developed but some are just born with it. We could always use more fire in the belly!!

Not a criticism of you at all...it was more of a vindication. It was a criticism aimed at your source of info and questioning his motivations. I could say alot more but I better stop before I bite myself in the ass.
cool.gif

Agreed and thanks. I said I would not rely on anything Belles (Flynn!!) would say. I have other more reliable sources. Recruiting experience is a great wake up call as to motivations. Don't be surprised if Harry leaves after this coming year. Best to your girls on a wonderful decision.

needato and ccoyer -

Oh to be a fly on the wall when you two get together to talk womens' hoops! and I am sure that you will. Just for starters, Any ideas as to if one or both girls are on Harry's reshirt list for the 2012-2013 season? Not many players in the past ten years suited up right out of high school. Great to see kids leaving the program with a graduate degree and employment prospects but it would be nice to get a blue chipper ready to play and contribute as a freshman once and a while too.

Hard to say. It could honestly go either way, and Harry would tell you the same thing.

The red shirt thing has been discussed and the twins are good either way. We'll just have to see what happens when they get to campus.

Its even possible that one could redshirt and the other one could see PT right away. Which one?

Who knows...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT