ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Game DAY heading to JMU

How good is Richmond this year? I think JMU wins it all this year, not just the CAA, but the FCS championship game.

How good is Richmond this year? I think JMU wins it all this year, not just the CAA, but the FCS championship game.
Richmond is good. They are 3-0 in CAA and only have only lost 1 FBS game this year. They have a quarterback who is second in the CAA in all catagories behind Vad Lee.

At least we have them at home, but if their QB stays healthy, we could be in for a long day on Nov. 14. Hopefully, we can get on some kind of roll between now and then and we are healthier than them when we play them.

I would say if we were to play them now, they would be really tough, but, a lot can happen in 4 weeks. Just look at our situation.

The exposure for JMU is fantastic. Game sold out straight away on Sunday, 26k or so. They're hoping for 8-12k on the quad behind the set. My entire crew heading to the game now.

Reactions: NovaUSMC01
Trying to figure out how JMU's stadium only seats 26K. I have driven past it on 81 about 30 times, and it looks like 45K, easy. Lowest deck must be pretty shallow?

Was thinking the same thing LGN. Really nice stadium. I drove by it a few times as well, was able to get a closer look once by exiting. Still thought it was bigger than 26.

Place should be outta hand!

Was thinking the same thing LGN. Really nice stadium. I drove by it a few times as well, was able to get a closer look once by exiting. Still thought it was bigger than 26.

Place should be outta hand!
I think about 5 yrs ago JMU did a complete do over. The rumors then ,and now are that JMU wants to move to FBS.

it only holds 26k/27k (says max is 25k and change, but in 2011 we averaged 25,500 or so, we can prob get close to 27k in if it's packed) because it's only halfway done. as you can see from the overhead pics below, the one side has an upper level with a set of luxury suites and boxes in between them. one end zone is open due to the athletic center, and the other end zone - for students and the band, could eventually have an upper level as well.

the other side of the stadium, however, is the size of some high school bleachers. only a few k can sit on there. the full plan calls for a mirroring of the larger side which would put capacity in the 50k range. more likely, they'll put a larger lower level on that side next and only add the upper deck if we really go big time. we only need 40k i think to meet the requirements to move up.

pics below do a better job of showing it, eventually (hopefully) it will be fully connected. regardless, as an alum, i couldn't be more pleased with how they are growing the university and really raising the level of all the campus amenities. our new basketball court is going to be filthy once we meet the minimum donor levels to start construction. the place will be BUMPING on saturday.

692241.jpg

1937051.jpg

Reactions: NovaUSMC01
Thanks for the explanation, i do remember talk of a phased approach. How do you expand that visitor side, does that brown building have to go?

That huge end zone stand does look weird by itself. Not great seats.

it only holds 26k/27k (says max is 25k and change, but in 2011 we averaged 25,500 or so, we can prob get close to 27k in if it's packed) because it's only halfway done. as you can see from the overhead pics below, the one side has an upper level with a set of luxury suites and boxes in between them. one end zone is open due to the athletic center, and the other end zone - for students and the band, could eventually have an upper level as well.

the other side of the stadium, however, is the size of some high school bleachers. only a few k can sit on there. the full plan calls for a mirroring of the larger side which would put capacity in the 50k range. more likely, they'll put a larger lower level on that side next and only add the upper deck if we really go big time. we only need 40k i think to meet the requirements to move up.

pics below do a better job of showing it, eventually (hopefully) it will be fully connected. regardless, as an alum, i couldn't be more pleased with how they are growing the university and really raising the level of all the campus amenities. our new basketball court is going to be filthy once we meet the minimum donor levels to start construction. the place will be BUMPING on saturday.

What is the vibe on campus and with alums/fans? Go FBS, continue to wait, stay FCS? I know the options right now to move up are not terribly appealing. But neither is FCS football I guess...

What is the vibe on campus and with alums/fans? Go FBS, continue to wait, stay FCS? I know the options right now to move up are not terribly appealing. But neither is FCS football I guess...

I hear it is a "done deal" for JMU to move up....

alumni have been frustrated with the apparent lack of direction the last 5-6 years. unfortunately, after losing in the semi's in '08 we picked the worst possible time to go through a lull. new stadium helped in '11, and the va tech win was solid in '10, but we didn't make the playoffs in '10 and lost to NDSU in 2nd round in '11. since then, nothing.

while i think most fans understand moving to the sun belt - we had an invite in '13 - was not the right move, i think everyone is just kind of bummed out that there isn't a clear progression. people keep mentioning the MAC or C-USA but how will jmu really do in those conferences with no true rivals etc. we need a couple years of sustained success, a title or a couple long runs, to solidify ourselves as a value-add to a serious conference.

the problem is outside of the power-5 conferences it's almost like being a i-aa team from back in the day. good teams but if you're outside of the top level then where are you really?

there's actually a site http://www.jmu2fbs.com that's raising pledges for a move to fbs. they're doing a flyover during the game on saturday, sign on the back of a plane, demanding that we move up now.

it's crazy, jmu was one of the schools most impacted by title ix. we lost a handful of solid mens teams. but the sports landscape has never been stronger. our soccer teams are usually sniffing around the tourney every year, field hockey is top 15, volleyball should win the conf this year and make the tourney. golf on the upswing. baseball, softball and lacrosse are upper echelon every year. women's basketball is dominating the caa and should win the conf again this year even w/ our best player out with a knee. men's bball made the tourney in '13 but that's where the focus is heading next. we should be miles further ahead than we have been recently.

The issue with the sun belt is you're in a crappy conference with no true rivals. Say what you will about the CAA, but until the last 2 years or so it was coming off a near SEC level of domination with multiple teams taking home titles or making title game appearances. Jmu doesn't want to rush into an FBS conference just to go and then be stuck in a situation that leads us to having 15k in the stadium for a game vs Georgia state.

I bought a flight yest flying to DC tonight and one of my brothers and I are driving down at 6 am to tailgate and hit game day. My whole college crew is going none know I'm showing up can't wait

The issue with the sun belt is you're in a crappy conference with no true rivals. Say what you will about the CAA, but until the last 2 years or so it was coming off a near SEC level of domination with multiple teams taking home titles or making title game appearances. Jmu doesn't want to rush into an FBS conference just to go and then be stuck in a situation that leads us to having 15k in the stadium for a game vs Georgia state.

I bought a flight yest flying to DC tonight and one of my brothers and I are driving down at 6 am to tailgate and hit game day. My whole college crew is going none know I'm showing up can't wait
I saw the JMU Athletics clip they posted with the gameday bus arriving on campus. Looked electric. Really stoked for you guys, should be an awesome day.

Agree to an extent about just playing FBS to play FBS. There are certainly many issues that complicate the matter not the least of which is what happens to your Olympic sports etc.

Attracting Game Day is quite a coup for JMU. Temple would love to have that exposure for ND next Saturday.

What a kick in the balls. Our defense was so bad.
The Defense wasn't, and isn't, the problem ... Defense held a 100-yard rusher to 60+ yards ... Allowed an opening drive TD and one long play, then pretty much shut them down the rest of the way. Nova Defense is #2 overall in the CAA and #1 in the Red Zone.

nova525, i'm a jmu alum, was talking about jmu vs. richmond.

yeah, was an amazing time outside of everything starting in the second half onward. our qb broke his foot and his career is now over, there goes the season. we'll lose to w&m and delaware, beat 'nova, finish 8-3 and bow out first round.

Rumors about JMU's FBS option comes out of the MAC with that ultimatum they gave UMass to fully join or leave. JMU was supposedly the other team they would have taken had UMass agreed. Now, the story is that JMU is still the "next in" for the MAC, but who else comes in with them is unknown (Missouri State and Stony Brook are rumored).

There was another one floating out there that JMU was lined up as UAB's replacement had the school permanently shelved their football operations and face expulsion via C-USA bylaws.

I know Madison really wants to reunite with Old Dominion. Who knows if that happens in C-USA or MAC, if at all...ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT