ADVERTISEMENT

First 2013 Commit Megan Quinn

ccoyer

VUSports.com All-American
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2007
4-star '13 F Megan Quinn picks Big East school
September 16, 2011Sep 1604:28PM ET
Megan Quinn of Berwyn, Pa., has committed to Villanova University, according to her club coach, Lou Hilf of the Philadelphia Belles 15U.

The 6-foot-2 forward also considered Drexel, Lehigh, Richmond, Delaware, Harvard, Princeton and Penn.

"Megan had a great July, capped off at Nike Nationals," Hilf said in an email message. "She sees the court extremely well, can put the ball on the floor and can step outside and drain the three. Megan has that high basketball IQ that all coaches love."

Rated a four-star prospect by ESPN HoopGurlz, Quinn was a first-team, All-Inter-Academic League as a sophomore at Episcopal Academy (Merion, Pa.), where she also is an honor-roll student.

"Megan chose Villanova because she felt at home there," Hilf said. "When she met the coaching staff and players she knew this was the perfect fit for her. Megan plans on accomplishing a lot off the court and on the court."

ccoyer -

As always, thanks for the info. Not a student of the HS or AAU game, how do the Hoopgurlz ratings get interpreted? Her position rank in class of 2013 is 8. Is that supposed to mean that she is the 8th highest rated post player in that class? Her ESPN top 100 ranking is 49. Does that mean she is the 49th highest rated overall player in that class? Note that she is not in the Hoopgurls top 60 for that class.

Of course she hasn't even started her junior year season yet, but I assume that some of the ratings come from her performance in AAU over the summer? Any personal look at her? Thanks for any insight you can provide. In any event she looks like a keeper at this point.

First of all, I wouldn't read too much into the HoopGurlz rankings. Just as Rivals football rankings are fraught with politics, hype, and geographical favoritism, HoopGurlz is infinitely worse. There are certain AAU programs around the country that will always have hype and, to Megan's benefit, the Philly Belles is one of them.

Megan is good, and she runs the floor well. Personally, I wouldn't go as far as ranking her the #8 player at her position nationally.

Harry and Co are trying to recruit much better athletes that have both good basketball IQ to run his half court stuff, but can also run the floor in transition and finish. I would say that she fits both the old and the new mindset for this team. The most comparable player in skill sets to her that is currently on the team would be Lauren Burford, I think.

She bleeds Nova blue and fits well with the girls of the 2011 and 12 classes.

The 2013 class is going to be very important, with about 5 schollies available. With what I know about the recruits that he has a good chance to land, Harry has an excellent shot at getting one of his best classes ever. Hats off to Heather and Joe if they pull it off.

Thanks for your insight as always. Had several people tell me how high they were on Burford from her practice sessions last year. Looking forward to seeing Lauren, Amy and maybe some of the true frosh coming in this year, although the schedule would seem to dictate that we are going to take some lumps in the non-conference schedule this year in addition to the Big East. Who knows what league this program is going to be in if the Big East continues to self-destruct and move it's geographic center to the middle of the country (Big Mid-West?)

The3 only thing I've learned so far with trying to predict all of this conference stuff is that its unpredictable.

I have confidence that Nova will land on its feet just fine, in whatever conference you want to call it.

Thanks for the info. Haven't been as active in AAU last couple years and have not seen her. Know her high school coach, Chuck Simmonds. He has done a lot for Episcopal. Used to coach with AAU Comets. Looking at other schools showing an interest is not promising. Good for her,and will fit in. Lauren Sweeney, used to run the floor. shoot threes etc in HS and AAU. We have not seen much of that at Nova. It will be great if we open the floor a little and let the players show us what they have. Tpenter, not sure wher you are going with the Midwest thing in light of what St. Johns and Georgetown have done last couple years. Depaul , ND and Louisville are great additions, just harder for the team with travel. Remeber Leer is playing this year. She originally verballed to Vanderbilt and decided to come here. Again she is fairly tall, runs floor and is a shooter. Not quite 3 point range. If we do open it up more, at least it will be more fun to watch!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT