ADVERTISEMENT

Guitars

Mr. Wade Garrett

VUSports.com Addict
Dec 11, 2007
Any of you jabronis play guitar?

I played as a kid, but sucked. Last year I picked up a 60th Anniversary American Standard Strat and a 2006 Les Paul Standard from a coworker for $1,800 all in. I love both of them. Slowly trying to become a better player, but it ain't easy.

Anyone here play? If so, what have you got?

I am a bass player. Always thinking about buying a guitar but I know that I don't have the time to pick it up so I never actually pull the trigger. I only have one bass, a Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with Ernie Ball flatwounds. On my short list if I ever get a new job/life is a Warwick custom, a Rick, and/or a Music Man.

One thing that goes super un-looked is amps. It's probably better to spend money on a great amp than a gr8 guitar. My dad has a tube-built Fender Super Reverb that he's had since the 70's and it's in perfect shape. I can't wait to inherit it.

got a few acoustics. never play electric anymore. my amp "disappeared" so I gave away my effects board to a friend who started playing in a band again after 30 years off.

pretty much only play my Martin JC-16RE, but I've got a Takamine A/E (cedar, real pretty, shitty action), an old Martin dreadnaught that's seen better days, and an Ovation Celebrity I haven't pulled out of the case in 10 years.

got a few acoustics. never play electric anymore. my amp "disappeared" so I gave away my effects board to a friend who started playing in a band again after 30 years off.

pretty much only play my Martin JC-16RE, but I've got a Takamine A/E (cedar, real pretty, shitty action), an old Martin dreadnaught that's seen better days, and an Ovation Celebrity I haven't pulled out of the case in 10 years.

Do you ever pull them out with friends around? Seems like a fun thing I missed out on in life. Being in a band, or just effing around with a guitar when you and a bunch of friends are drinking with no purpose.

no one wants to be that guy on the stairs in animal house, but i've got a couple of friends that play too. every now and then someone will pull one out and it happens. i actually play monthly at different bars doing mostly covers. get paid to spend a few hours drinking for free. pretty fun. if you drink very heavily, i start to sound somewhat decent.

I am a bass player. Always thinking about buying a guitar but I know that I don't have the time to pick it up so I never actually pull the trigger. I only have one bass, a Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with Ernie Ball flatwounds. On my short list if I ever get a new job/life is a Warwick custom, a Rick, and/or a Music Man.

One thing that goes super un-looked is amps. It's probably better to spend money on a great amp than a gr8 guitar. My dad has a tube-built Fender Super Reverb that he's had since the 70's and it's in perfect shape. I can't wait to inherit it.

What is fun about playing the bass? Thats a serious question, not a dick question.

With a guitar you can play and immediately recognize a song. With drums you can get into the beat. They can stand on their own.

I always felt like you couldn't do either with bass. Like you needed other instruments for it to be fun.

It's mainly fun because I ****in sucked at the guitar when I tried to learn it in elementary school. I agree though, that it's more fun to play with other people than on your own. However, a nice funk groove can go a long way on your own, and you'd be surprised how recognizable certain bass lines are.

I always found the bass to be the most elemental part of music. You support the groove, end of story. When music gets mixed down and put on your iPhone, or played through shitty earbud speakers, the first thing that gets lost is the bass. When you go see a live show, you realize what you are missing. That, to me, is the most important part of musical composition. Next time you go see live music, if you're sitting near the front you should turn around towards the crowd. When you see everyone nodding their heads, that's because of the bass.

I've tried to play guitar a couple times but I pretty much suck. Would be fun to learn at some point. I know how to play piano and trumpet, don't play much anymore but played both when I was younger.

Just a man with a guitar...singing his heart out.
big_1438227834_image.jpg

Reactions: BigEastBasketball
What is fun about playing the bass? Thats a serious question, not a dick question.

With a guitar you can play and immediately recognize a song. With drums you can get into the beat. They can stand on their own.

I always felt like you couldn't do either with bass. Like you needed other instruments for it to be fun.

I've always wondered the same thing. One time I was at a party and the host took out his bass and started "playing." I wasn't sure how to react. I just stood there holding my drink trying to act impressed.

I felt like I could take the bass from him and start doing the exact same thing.

He was my boss at the time; it was a work party. This was prob 12-13 years ago back when I still thought I could make it in the business world. I was trying to keep up appearances.

Actually, it was about the same the Finklestein kid at Harvard was coding Facebook. I was prob at the party thinking how cool it would be if Classmates.com was free.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT