ADVERTISEMENT

Hey All

JHoops

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
It's been a little bit since I have posted on here with Nova basketball related opinions, I needed some time to step back and focus on other things. However, I have been following the news and wanted to share some thoughts/opinions with you all!

1) Congratulations to Hilliard on getting drafted, what an accomplishment. It is always good to see someone who worked hard get what they deserved. Congratulations DH, hopefully Detroit will lead to a long NBA stay. Just goes to show us and every recruit that Nova develops their players for the long term.

2) Spellman, by the reports I am getting excited to see this guy play. He has such a diverse skill set, inside and out. I love his body and motor. I think he will only get better in time, especially in the strength and conditioning. He is going to be a match up nightmare for years to come in he Big East. He gives Jay a ton of options as well and could possibly diversify the offense in years to come. With Spellman being able to shoot, it creates lanes for Brunson to operate and make plays for himself and other. Those two together will be scary. Spellman, in my opinion, will takes leaps in his game once his body improves.

3) Jalen Brunson, I watched a few of his games that were linked here. I liked what I saw even more, a very impressive player. He looked a lot more quicker than previous times I had watched him. He has a tricky handle, very quick hands. I love the way he plays, gets after it. He will impact this team and program from day 1, very clear to see. A far better passer than originally thought. If you really take a step back and look, he is playing with a bunch of good players, potential draft picks, and one and done players, and he is getting his while getting everyone involved. For a player who has yet to play a college game to understand that is just impressive.

Recruiting thoughts:
1) Lonnie Walker, I really like his game. He has a lot of what I look for in a player that Nova is recruiting. Good basketball body, athletic, and has very good basketball skills that are obvious. I would take him if he wanted in right away, I just feel like he fits with what Jay is trying to do. The one thing I want to see him improve is his motor, but Jay can get that out of him. One thing that I question is his ranking, now I don't put too much stock into rankings, but he is more of a top 50 player, not top 20. I think that ranking is a little too high. He struggled against some teams this year that top 20 players would never dream about struggling against. All in all, I would still take him. Lonnie running the wings on a break would be a sight to see. I love that we are in great shape with him. An observation I have with Lonnie is that as he develops his off the dribble game, he will not have a problem going left or right and pulling up. He has an explosive first step into his shot.

2) Quade Green, I have always liked his game. A superior shooter, yes superior. Overall, he has a great feel for the game. I always enjoy watching him play. He truly has a killer instinct to his game. The one weakness he has is his height and lack of bounce. Does he have enough bounce to his game to play at a high level? Like Syracuse? Only time will tell. Is it possible Quade and Lonnie could play together? I believe they tried once and it did not work. He is really having an impressive summer and I think he is the best player in Philly next year, right with either Carr or Stevens. I would be good with having him at Nova as well. I do think he could run a team as the PG, but that off guard better have good size with him.

3) Dylan Painter, simply, I think I would pass on him. With Spellman in fold I would rather find a face up four who can hang inside and who has versatility to his game than Painter. However, the big question for me is how he develops through the Summer and even Spring. I think Beefer mentioned he should wait till the Spring to sign and I agree. I am not high on Painter as some are. I want the right guy with Spellman, not someone who may or may not fit.

4) Bamba, In my opinion, he is the best prospect to come out of Philly in a long time. I was impressed with what I saw from him in the Winter. He reminds me of Nerlens Noel, with more of a sophisticated game at this time. For a six foot eleven kid to handle and shoot the ball the way he does is elite. The skill set he provides is out of this world. I read that some guru was ranking him the 2-3 best prospect in PA? That is crazy, asinine, and insane. Bamba is a top ten player in his class and the best prospect in PA, hands down, no doubt in my mind. We have an uphill battle for Bamba and I think he ends up elsewhere, but it will be interesting to see how his recruitment plays out.

All in all, Jay has us in great shape this year and for years to come. I know I am going to enjoy the continued success we are having. Jay and staff get after it this time of year and they will continue to put themselves in a position to continue landing these big time players.

Have at it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News