ADVERTISEMENT

I Never Thought I'd Hear This

tjc3844

Post 'Til Your Fingers Bleed
Sep 10, 2003
So, I went to mass Saturday evening. Uncharacteristically, the pastor was standing in front of the church as people filed into the church. When the place was filled, he said he had a special message for all of us. The message was that all the churches had received a message from the bishop that he had received a warning that the churches had been targeted for attack. While it was a non-specific warning, the bishop said it was real and needed to be addressed. I didn't agree with our pastor's plan if it happened. He said if our church were attacked during mass, we should all kneel down and say the rosary. In thinking about it, I realized churches are such easy targets it's surprising one or more haven't already been attacked. Now, I'm sure there will be the usual responses from posters on here trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to be funny. But, the real point is how has the world come to this point? Yeah, I know, I'm one of those scared old people! When jihadism reaches into your church, we are in a very sad state of affairs and the government (both parties) has failed all of us miserably!

Nice of the pastor to tell the congregation AFTER they brought their children INTO the "target area". What an a-hole.

I would need to understand the details before deciding my reaction. Was this a non-specific threat communicated to multiple groups and the bishop decided he was going to over-communicate? Or was it a threat to that specific denomination covering a specific region?

Nice of the pastor to tell the congregation AFTER they brought their children INTO the "target area". What an a-hole.

While I understand your point, you seem to have a lot of hatred toward religion and the Catholic Church in particular. Did that begin post-Villanova or have you always felt that way? Just curious.

Reactions: Novacatt94
Attending a conference in San Antonio, last week, the cab driver asked me if I was enjoying my visit. I told him I was and noted how friendly everyone that I come across with in the city is. His reply, "that is because we all carry a gun"
ISIS has issued non-specific threats against churches. Was mass the appropriate time to comment on a threat?
Does the pastor actually have a plan, ie armed undercover security and does not want the congregation to know?
Is the pastor an naive academic type?

Attending a conference in San Antonio, last week, the cab driver asked me if I was enjoying my visit. I told him I was and noted how friendly everyone that I come across with in the city is. His reply, "that is because we all carry a gun"
ISIS has issued non-specific threats against churches. Was mass the appropriate time to comment on a threat?
Does the pastor actually have a plan, ie armed undercover security and does not want the congregation to know?
Is the pastor an naive academic type?

So the cabbie responded that everyone was so friendly because they had a gun. What questions did you ask him?

While I understand your point, you seem to have a lot of hatred toward religion and the Catholic Church in particular. Did that begin post-Villanova or have you always felt that way? Just curious.

I'm guessing it has to do with Robert and his relationship.

So, I've been going to mass Saturday evening for 50 years and love it. I count the days from the last mass of the week until the start of the next week. But I'm so glad this congregation may be coming to an end shortly. I've seen a lot of bad messages from the bishop over the years, but this communication of a non-specific threat was one was the worst. Yes, even worse than when he condemned my relationship with Robert. From the 5 minute mark of the mass until the gospel, I thought OH YEAH, the church is back. 49 first half blessings and all the holiness was back, so I was sure the faith we all had was right. The second half of mass was the most uninspired mass I've seen a clergyman perform in my whole 50 years. I wish that we were attacked already and we didn't have to endure another warning before it happens. This bishop had the chance to be the holiest in diocese history but imploded because I think he just didn't give a damn about jihadism. I won't miss him.

So, I've been going to mass Saturday evening for 50 years and love it. I count the days from the last mass of the week until the start of the next week. But I'm so glad this congregation may be coming to an end shortly. I've seen a lot of bad messages from the bishop over the years, but this communication of a non-specific threat was one was the worst. Yes, even worse than when he condemned my relationship with Robert. From the 5 minute mark of the mass until the gospel, I thought OH YEAH, the church is back. 49 first half blessings and all the holiness was back, so I was sure the faith we all had was right. The second half of mass was the most uninspired mass I've seen a clergyman perform in my whole 50 years. I wish that we were attacked already and we didn't have to endure another warning before it happens. This bishop had the chance to be the holiest in diocese history but imploded because I think he just didn't give a damn about jihadism. I won't miss him.
tumblr_mbyf0zRnXn1rayeajo1_500.jpg

I was raised Catholic....sixteen years of education at Catholic institutions...but I've not believed in the silly fantasy land stuff since I was probably ten years old.

Jesus Christ being the savior of the world is no more likely, in my opinion, than Thor being an existent hammer-wielding deity who will one day rain down his wrath upon us in the form of extreme thunder and lightning.

Where was this when that confederate flag kid actually killed a bunch of people in a black church

Edit: BB2N

I would need to understand the details before deciding my reaction. Was this a non-specific threat communicated to multiple groups and the bishop decided he was going to over-communicate? Or was it a threat to that specific denomination covering a specific region?
Tom, the way the pastor explained it was that the bishop received the threats which leaves you with the presumption that it was directed at the Catholic Churches in his diocese though the pastor didn't discuss that in his statement.

I was raised Catholic....sixteen years of education at Catholic institutions...but I've not believed in the silly fantasy land stuff since I was probably ten years old.

Jesus Christ being the savior of the world is no more likely, in my opinion, than Thor being an existent hammer-wielding deity who will one day rain down his wrath upon us in the form of extreme thunder and lightning.

RStrick, you and i seem to have more and more in common each day.

First 11 year old Thai lady-bois. And now this.

So you haven't believed in the stuff since you were 10 but spent 16 years in those institutions? No wonder you are bitter.

Private education is one way to ensure that your kids stay segregated from the riff raff, in compliance with America's most popular religion - capitalism.

That's right.

Only the fringe elements attended my two high schools or Villanova due to the availability of catholic theology in the classroom. College is a trade school (with athletics as entertainment) and high school is simply a feeder for said trade school.

Reactions: ComeFiesta
I agree with Strick here. I went to public school my entire life until 'Nova -- and my time at a Catholic institution is probably the least faith-filled time of my life.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
There were plenty of other choices other than a faith-based institution to insulate you and educate you in the ways of capitalism. Interesting that you chose a school with a belief system that you disregard at best, detest more likely.

Strick, what other schools did you apply to? Were certain academic programs so superior that they outweighed the negatives of the faith-based teaching?

It is obviously en vogue to be down on the Catholics. I get it. I wasn't one of the cool kids in school and this looks like another party I missed.

I was educated in secular schools and was pretty religious (not catholic) until I went to Villanova.

There were plenty of other choices other than a faith-based institution to insulate you and educate you in the ways of capitalism. Interesting that you chose a school with a belief system that you disregard at best, detest more likely.

Strick, what other schools did you apply to? Were certain academic programs so superior that they outweighed the negatives of the faith-based teaching?

It is obviously en vogue to be down on the Catholics. I get it. I wasn't one of the cool kids in school and this looks like another party I missed.
PrinceFielderBatFlip.gif

I'm shocked that nc94 responded to a TJC thread and didn't get after TJC. Proud of ya, big fella!

I refuse to believe that his plan was for everyone to kneel down and say the rosary if the church was being attacked by a maniac. Did he really say that? Religion is so friggin bizarre.

Rstrick went for accounting if I recall correctly. Nova has an excellent accounting program.

Do people actually think that two bullshite theology courses makes for some great college experience? Did you say rosaries with your suite mates?

Rstrick went for accounting if I recall correctly. Nova has an excellent accounting program.

Do people actually think that two bullshite theology courses makes for some great college experience? Did you say rosaries with your suite mates?

No. When I attended the school we did not have suites but it helps to understand your perspective.

I liked basketball and Villanova by far had the best academic reputation of any school that offered me admission.

I don't recall any "faith-based teaching" while at VU.

Reactions: NickleDimer
I refuse to believe that his plan was for everyone to kneel down and say the rosary if the church was being attacked by a maniac. Did he really say that? Religion is so friggin bizarre.
Yes, Chuck, he really said that. Our pastor is a very conservative Catholic so I think his point was that if we all prayed, God would intervene. That might very well be true and I am a firm believer in God and have received His help more than once in my life when I asked Him. But, if it happened and I saw a clear path to a door, I'd run for it and thank God if I made it out alive. Remember the old saying - God helps those who help themselves.

Attended Catholic school in Pittsburgh and then was part of the riff, raff in WV public school. Certainly a much different experience than Villanova. We were poor white trash but seemed to do OK. I do think some kids benefit from Catholic High School. Some peope seem to thrive in an environment that seems more accepting. Just my observation. Of course the Blue Bloods attend much more prestigious places then Catholic schools so I don't think some of the comments made in this thread apply. We reversed course and our kids will go from private and next year will have two in public. After reviewing all the resources you simply can't beat Fairfax County public 1-6. IMO, that has somewhat changed from when many of us grew up. The Catholic schools don't have the resources of the good/great public schools. I didn't find Villanova too faith-focused. However, I thought it was nice to have a church steps from my dorm and even attended Sunday night mass on occasion. Great place to check out girls. Either way, my experience is you got what you put in. If you wanted a more faith-based experience you have all the options available to you without it being shoved down your throat. IMO, it's a very nice balance and up to the individual on what they took from it.

Attended Catholic school in Pittsburgh and then was part of the riff, raff in WV public school. Certainly a much different experience than Villanova. We were poor white trash but seemed to do OK. I do think some kids benefit from Catholic High School. Some peope seem to thrive in an environment that seems more accepting. Just my observation. Of course the Blue Bloods attend much more prestigious places then Catholic schools so I don't think some of the comments made in this thread apply. We reversed course and our kids will go from private and next year will have two in public. After reviewing all the resources you simply can't beat Fairfax County public 1-6. IMO, that has somewhat changed from when many of us grew up. The Catholic schools don't have the resources of the good/great public schools. I didn't find Villanova too faith-focused. However, I thought it was nice to have a church steps from my dorm and even attended Sunday night mass on occasion. Great place to check out girls. Either way, my experience is you got what you put in. If you wanted a more faith-based experience you have all the options available to you without it being shoved down your throat. IMO, it's a very nice balance and up to the individual on what they took from it.
When I was in school Monday night "chapel" was mandatory. I got suspended from school for a week for too many absences. I thought it didn't make any sense that you had to go to chapel but there was no requirement to attend Sunday mass.

When I was in school Monday night "chapel" was mandatory. I got suspended from school for a week for too many absences. I thought it didn't make any sense that you had to go to chapel but there was no requirement to attend Sunday mass.

Go to mass every Sunday, and endorse the murder of innocent family members, like a good Catholic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT