ADVERTISEMENT

Is Laura Sweeney hurt?

Quite obviously we missed Sweeney's
ability, but they miss her court sense as much.
She hits the post and always seems to make
the correct pass, an she also has some
good baseline moves.She also can defend
their center a bit better. The Cuse is much more
on defense.

We made our run when Holeman hit the post
shots; she will be a player. The Coyer twin who
was hurt is a player, and she is fearless.

Anyone know if she'll be playing in the tourney? Does she have to pass a test(or is that just NFL)? They have a good 10 days till first NCAA game, hope that's enough time for her to heal.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Supposedly she's out for 7 days but more than likely will be reevaluated before she's cleared to play. I was a bit surprised when she reentered the game to shoot her foul shots and resumed play right after she'd been bashed in the face In the UConn game. I suspect she said she was o.k. though.

I watched the Syracuse game for about 20 mins and thought the team played hard and pretty good without their best player.

the Coyer girl is good but that shot in the corner that hit the backboard was not a good look. She actually shots threes while still moving, its pretty amazing she can make those.

Harry and Heather have done a nice job in recruiting but losing Sweeney is going to hurt them next year. However with kane and the Coyers along with some front court players they should be competitive.

And with Uconn and ND no longer in the BE they can actually win the conf.

novabball2,

That shot of the Coyer girls has been mentioned before; it
might have originated when she was very young and had
troubles getting the ball to the hoop. I love her game.

Harry has to have Holeman (Sp?) watch tapes of Laura
on passes out of the post. In some cases it is a feel or instinct, but
certain things can be taught. We now know that Holeman has good
shots from the post; I loved it when she used glass.

I know nothing about our redshirts, but the girl from IH from North
Jersey who signed very early with us is supposedly a real player.
The youg lady from Episcopal will probable red-shirt.

I like the 5s and 4s offense but hate the 4 out 1 in. The guards arent athletic enough to make plays in that set if they cant get the ball into the post. It also doesnt put any pressure on the defense. With Sweeney in there its a different story. It worked at times last night but the well was dry with about 5 mins left and i dont think they scored in the last 5 mins less Coyers runner at the foul line.

I hope all those people who were calling for Harrys head a few years ago realize he is a GREAT coach, one of the best womens coaches ever. he is also a great guy and has done wonders for the Nova program.

the problem IMO was that the Phila Catholic League well went dry. he used to get a lot of impact players from that league, especially Ohara. and they just dont have any talent anymore.

i rarely think losing is a good thing but this loss to Cuse was probably a "good" loss, they are in the tourney and didnt have to play Uconn again. just no need you cant beat them. as far as seeding i dont think beating Cuse improves the seeding either.

Losing to Syracuse flip-flopped us and probably makes them a seven seed and us an eight - a huge difference. As an eight or nine we have no chance at playing anywhere on the East Coast and are in an opening weekend with either Baylor in Waco or Stanford in California. Hopefully the poor Cuse RPI and the fact that we beat them twice will get us out of the eight-nine sinkhole.

As a seven seed we could have wound up in Durham (Duke), Iowa City (California) or Baton Rouge (Penn State). Those 2 seeds are Charlie Creme's picks and I have no reason to think otherwise.

Charlie Creme is not a great source as far as I'm concerned. He bashes the BE regularly as well as the B1G. He's an ACC lover. - go figure.
We might end up an 8 seed, but if we do, then Depaul better be as well. And how about USF? We beat them both and have the same records.

His bracket wizardry has Villanova as the only team in the entire field traveling coast-coast to play. He probably thought it was funny and knew that Harry doesn't like to fly. It makes very little sense. We took Syracuse to the end without Sweeney to beat them 3 times.
This post was edited on 3/12 8:22 PM by ccoyer

Bracketology

CC-

That's not Creme's doing. The NCAA attempts at all costs to avoid having conference teams play each other in the first two rounds. You can see that in Creme's placement of teams also. Thus if we are an 8-9 seed we can't be placed at Bridgeport (UConn) or Columbus (Notre Dame). The only 8-9 spots left are Waco (Baylor) and most likely California (Stanford). Those kind of situations are what causes a "procedural bump" up or down a line when they find it impossible to place a team without changing their seed. Geography only plays a small part in the process other than the 1 and 2 seeds are attempted to be placed closest to home or having to play a game on a lower seed's home court.

Being an 8 seed in 2009 worked out well in that we got to play at Maryland who was a one seed that year. The game against Utah was a debacle from the start, but at least we didn't have to cross country to suffer that defeat. In any event we should be playing a beatable team in the first round, but not having any NCAA experience and potentially playing far from home with little support might leave us high and dry once again.

TP -

I fully understand the 8-9 thing you refer to. I just don't find the rationale behind about half of Creme's bracketology. He seems to play convenient favorites with his matchups instead of employing the more objective approach.

Re: Bracketology

Debacle is the right word for Villanova's last NCAA appearance. Utah, the #9 seed, beat us 60-30, and Villanova shot only 19%. Utah had to travel across the country, and according to the AP story, only one Utah player's parent made the trip east.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT