ADVERTISEMENT

Is Nike played out?

Bethlehem Steel

Diaper Dandy
Dec 28, 2014
They make some really nice gear, however the youth favor Under Armour. Numerous big East schools have already made the switch, anyone know when our contract is up?

The youth favor Under Armour? Over Nike?

Not a chance.

Under Armour will always be a football brand first and foremost. I did buy some of their golf pants after Speith won the Masters, though, and I must say they are legit.

If we wanted to go really old school, we could rock some Jordaches.

KGrHqZqIFIYIygzLBSJ8wINJpQ60_571-750x420.jpg

UA is doing well recently with Spieth and Curry. But Nike still rakes in $ on MJ stuff.

UA has every major sport's current MVP signed to a deal, plus Speith and Tom Brady.

Steph Curry
Cam Newton
Bryce Harper

How does GU and UNC etc get Jordan logos? Do kids care about that these days?

I like UA but don't want to be sponsored by them. Wouldn't buy their footwear.

How does GU and UNC etc get Jordan logos? Do kids care about that these days?

I like UA but don't want to be sponsored by them. Wouldn't buy their footwear.

I find it weird that Gtown wears the Jordan brand. It's like a constant kick in the face if you're a Gtown alum/fan. Oh yea, "Remember that time in Jordan hit the game winning shot and we lost the national championship?"

Reactions: The_Z_Man
Market share...most subpar college programs are with Nike. We're not in the early 90s Hoop Dreams era, where having an exclusive agreement with Nike matters

Jordan is now 53 years old. I know he was great, but time marches on.

Idk. But I'm pretty sure Marquette does.

Is this still a big deal to the younger generation?

Jordan is now 53 years old. I know he was great, but time marches on.
I'm too lazy to look it up but Nike makes hundred of millions of $ every year from MJ logo stuff. And I'm guessing a decent percentage of that is for 12-25 age group.

North Carolina, Georgetown, Cal, Michigan and Marquette are the Jumpman schools. Just curious- is there a meaningful difference in quality among the large brands?

It's all money and politics. UA would love to have Nova and every other school. Nike has major benefits too.

UA shoes for a while were really bad. Had a buddy who worked in the running shoe industry and like 5 years ago you couldn't pay people to wear them.

I'm looking at the Stony Brook team on CBS now, prominent swoosh logo on their warm ups. Let's get with a Brand that doesn't have deals with the Stony Brooks and Cal State Fullertons of the world

When you look at sales, UA does not qualify as a pimple on the butt of Nike. Nike is the hammer and UA is the nail.

Reactions: NickleDimer
How long before the hungry at night players are allowed to score their own endorsement deal? Shabaz couldve used the $ to feed himself some Bacon Jalepeno Mac & Cheese

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
Couldn't you ask that about anything though? And the answer is similar about what differentiates a company that has 90% of the market. Their product might be slightly better, but their marketing and reputation has a stranglehold on the minds of consumers.
I'm not sure. I really don't know anything about sneakers and was just curious. I wasn't asking rhetorically to make a point.

When you look at sales, UA does not qualify as a pimple on the butt of Nike. Nike is the hammer and UA is the nail.

True to a large extent but when your Nike's size the challenge is always growth. So having UA siphoning off market share here and there and increasing it in certain areas is a concern to them. My guess is they regret not buying UA around the time of the financial crisis when it was often rumored (still is sometimes) and they could've snapped them up pretty easily. Now they have a legit competitor in some areas whereas they had wiped most of them out in the U.S. as of about 8 or 9 years ago.

Have always been a huge Nike fan but not big on what they did to many of the running shoes with the new materials they're using, not as supportive, different fit and feel.

The story of how UA got started is a great story though.
Kevin started it about 500 yards from my place in Georgetown. It was in his grandmother's basement. It's amazing what he's built but he's somewhat of a turd.

Kevin started it about 500 yards from my place in Georgetown. It was in his grandmother's basement. It's amazing what he's built but he's somewhat of a turd.

Don't you also live 800 ft from Bryce Harper's girlfriend?

That's where i live now. He dumped her, they were engaged. This was when I moved to dc year ago and lived in Georgetown.

Disagree with remarks about Nike running shoes. I've been wearing them exclusively for 16yrs. The recent changes have been great. But then again, I don't have unusual feet that need extra "support."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT