ADVERTISEMENT

It's Liberty

UncleEd

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2003
A great second half wins. Trailing 21 - 10 the Flames came back to win 26 - 21. 4:30 next Saturday in our house.

Re: It's Liberty 26-21

Surprised at the result . Only able to watch first half. Although Vlad Lee didn't seem as sharp as usual, JMU had 21-10 lead. Since we know every game with JMU is a dog fight it looks like advantage Villanova to bring first time playoff team to Villanova Stadium. Cats D is better than JMU and JR will easily surpass 26 pts. Liberty scored here.

I hope our fans show up next week because you know Liberty's fans travel well. I also hope all the regulars in Section ND will be there.

Central this ND guy and his group moved to South side for this game.

Liberty proved resilient for 2nd week in row. Looking forward to seeing Turner Gill's crew next Saturday.

We are going to use almost a million dollars of athletic department resources to play a school called liberty in division 2 football in front of 1,956 fans on the same day as the HOLY WAR?

Someone explain this to me.

Thanks.

Originally posted by centraljerseycat:
I hope our fans show up next week because you know Liberty's fans travel well. I also hope all the regulars in Section ND will be there.
Liberty's fans travel well?

wtf??? Did I just read that?

does anyone know where they are traveling from? Are these the same fans that used to travel well for maratho oil games back In 1990's?

if I have to guess the state liberty is located, I am guessing South Carolina. Right or wrong!

Most fans are coming from Virginia, so your really talking no more than about a 4-6 hr drive depending on part of Va your in

Liberty busses 2,000 kids up for game. They will canvass Radnor on Saturday morning proselytizing to our forefathers in faith.
Good luck with that.

Originally posted by 4bidn1:
Most fans are coming from Virginia, so your really talking no more than about a 4-6 hr drive depending on part of Va your in

Originally posted by qwe001:
We are going to use almost a million dollars of athletic department resources to play a school called liberty in division 2 football in front of 1,956 fans on the same day as the HOLY WAR?

Someone explain this to me.

Thanks.
Duh......that's how the NCAA scheduled the game.......and by the way, it's Division 1 football FCS....

The football game will have the only significance Sat. Liberty at least may be competitive. St. Joe and the rest of the formerly Big 5 are no more the early season cupcakes for the Big Blue-White Machine

PCH - agree the B5 is weak. On Sat our Cats will crush sju. But first a trip to N Philly to play LaSalle on Wednesday night. IMHO the Explores are very well coached. They have some talent. Cats must be ready.
I agree our football and basketball teams are stocked with talent for this year and next.
Also agree that the Sat football game is the most important Villanova athletic event of the day.

I agree Big 5 is weak. But given the huge incentive, any one of them other than Penn has at least the theoretical potential to rise to the ocasion once every decade or so and actually beat VU. Admittedly, that probably that won't happen in 2014-15, but happen it has in the not too distant past.

Originally posted by DCFRANKLIN:
Liberty busses 2,000 kids up for game. They will canvass Radnor on Saturday morning proselytizing to our forefathers in faith.
Good luck with that.

Originally posted by 4bidn1:
Liberty is appx 6 hours away from Villanova.
There are 18 busses worth of Liberty students attending the game @ 'nova.

I do hope VU students show up, however 1. They will have to pay to attend the game, 2. The game piggy backs on to the VU/SJU game, 3. It's the middle of winter, 4. and it's Villanova Football (not something students get overly excited about) makes me think we'll be outnumbered in our own home come Saturday

The fact that VU is pushing as hard as it can to get students / fans to come out to the game, shows you how little interest there is in Football @ VU ~

The Villanova Football Club has a fund raiser designed to pay for student tickets, Check out their website.
Also, again today I talked to a rep in VU ticket office. He told me undergrads gain admittance with their wildcard. If so somehow the ticket is being paid for.

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=14874&TeamID=9

Would most likely be an FBS school by now. Great facilities, enthusiastic student, generous alum base, nice margins on their on-line programs, Liberty is making all the right moves after the initial years as Lynchburg Baptist College.
Politically incorrect statements by its past president have the school somewhat blacklisted by other institutions belonging to conferences Liberty would like to join.
See themselves as the Evangelical version for Baptist Baylor, Mormon BYU.
Good chance their crowd will be larger than ours on Saturday. Lberty does have a small local fan base in Delaware valley. Evangelical parents see Liberty as a great school to send their kids to similar to how many Catholic parents view Catholic colleges.

Originally posted by Box+1:

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=14874&TeamID=9

Would most likely be an FBS school by now. Great facilities, enthusiastic student, generous alum base, nice margins on their on-line programs, Liberty is making all the right moves after the initial years as Lynchburg Baptist College.
Politically incorrect statements by its past president have the school somewhat blacklisted by other institutions belonging to conferences Liberty would like to join.
See themselves as the Evangelical version for Baptist Baylor, Mormon BYU.
Good chance their crowd will be larger than ours on Saturday. Lberty does have a small local fan base in Delaware valley. Evangelical parents see Liberty as a great school to send their kids to similar to how many Catholic parents view Catholic colleges.
Would it be a tax suck program like UAB or Temple?

if so, good thing they have not upgraded yet.

"You got no job, no car, no future, no girlfriend, no dick"

Walter Kowalski to above poster.

Sure, I guess that makes sense.

Anyway, why are we wasting school resources for a money losing game against a school called liberty? We need a serious shake up within our athletic department if this nonsense continues.

There are 17 private schools in FBS. No FBS private has ever dropped football since the inistitution of FBS f/k/a 1A in 1978. The last private school to drop out of a Power 5 conference was the University of Chicago in 1937. Privates who formerly competed at the University Division (as FBS was known pre-'78) before dropping football have restored football at the FCS/1AA level and are enjoying success: Fordham and Villanova. Holy Cross, a former University Division private has struggled at the FCS level, although that's a relative judgment, as the Crusaders have reached the playoffs as recently as '09. So it is not true that privates can't succeed in FBS/FCS. There are horses for courses and VU, Liberty and Fordham for example, have been running very good races in FCS, while ND, BC and others have done likewise in FCS. So I catagoricaly reject the assertion that VU has no business competing in Division 1 football.

I just sent an email to Vince Nicastro congratulating him on what a success the football program has been this year and how my family and I are looking forward to this weekends game and future games. Villanova football future is bright.

Originally posted by DCFRANKLIN:
. So I catagoricaly reject the assertion that VU has no business competing in Division 1 football.
Here is the disconnect:
you live in a delusion where you think villanova is competing at the division 1 level.
Most of the villanova community understands, however, that we compete at a division 2 level against schools that are not worth our time or money.

Here's another reality- Liberty, a private faith based institution, would not be a "tax suck" as you so eloquently put it in an earlier post. Here's a link to the First Amendment for you to read in your spare time:
http://constitution.findlaw.com/amendment1.html

And as for the "community" you represent, the attendance for VU-LaSalle at the Palestra on Saturday afternoon 12/6/03 was under 2,000. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=233402325 . Weather was overcast. No rain or snow.
This post was edited on 12/3 3:47 PM by DCFRANKLIN

Gwennie you have repeatedly given delusional a whole new meaning with your repeated dysfunctional discourse related to Villanova football that you are well aware is inaccurate.

Liberty is a private faith based institution? News to me. I had never heard of the school before last week.

Lots of thing you don't know while you are living in your parents basement unemployed.
They wasted $200,000 on your education so you can blog about sports you don't like.

Liberty is a private faith based university. Really ,you dumb shit, you did not know this? Go away .

Uncle Ed, full of it again. You never herd of liberty before last week, but we are all now supposed to know that it is a faith based school. Don't pass this off as you being a lifelong liberty fan and all Of us should know of this obscure Virginia faith based school.

Box+1, let me know when you move out of your parents basement!!! See, two can play at that game. When you have to reach to that point, you know you have lost the debate and you are stuck making false accusations against he who speaks the truth.

End the disaster!!! Stop the nonsense!! A common sense solution to the villanova football money pitt!! Don't listen to the football tough guys, they don't care about villanova university, they only care about their friends and family program!L

qwe007
Growing up in central Massachusetts and being a avid sports fan, I appreciated college sports as an adjunct to the Celtics, Bruins, Red Sox and Patriots. Dwayne McClain played for Holy Name and I personally watched him play high school BB. I played football with Brian Kelly t Assumption College. If you don't know who Brian Kelly, then I question your Catholicism and football interest. College sports adds excitement to the college and regional community. If the Cats BB stunk, you would most likely be a big follower of your football team unless you are not a football fan. Villanova's football team has a national reputation in the FCS that you should take pride in. It is at the same level at FCS as the basketball team is in NCAA Division I. If it were gone, you would be left with rooting for Lehigh, Drexel or Temple? Sorry, I am also a UMASS fan and can't stand Temple.

If finances are your issue, I would recommend you voice your complaint to the administration, rather than the loyal football fans on this page. Your football program does draw students to your school. I have been a fan of what Villanova Football represents, although I will be rooting for Liberty this week since I now work there. For Liberty, this year's excitement is like what you experience when the Cats BB make a run in march madness or what the Cats experienced against Georgetown prior to the championship game. We are in uncharted but exciting territory and looking to become what Villanova football has become in FCS, a nationally known and well respected program.

Praying both teams play there best this week.

Good to see you guys have whack jobs on you message boards too. To not understand why sports are good for colleges, is to not understand why name recognition is good for enrollment...

Always interesting to go on to opponents boards and see what people say about Liberty University and this board is really no different. Liberty is new, only founded in 1971 and though we still get looked at as a small Faith-Based college in a small town named Lynchburg, we are in fact a University that has over 14,000 residential students and another 90,000 students studying online. Every University includes their online students in their enrollment numbers and believe me if your school is not educating online now, they will in the future. Liberty was lucky to be one of the first colleges to offer online study and are now reaping the rewards, as other institutions are trying to play catch up. Why is the relevant? Because though they are online students - we are graduating somewhere around 20,000 students a year and like the student makeup - they are located all over the Country and World. That's a big Alumni base to pull athletic support from.

As far as this game - Liberty has talent, but VU has more and this will be a tough game for us, but I didn't have much hope at JMU either. Our team will come out ready to play and has played some pretty good teams this year tough - UNC, Appy State, Indiana State and bearly lost to Richmond in overtime too. Our fans do travel well and the school does a remarkable job helping the students get to games like this. Offering Bus service up there for this game is a big example.

Good luck to you guys and hopefully next time I get on here - GWE007 gets his wish and you guys don't have to waste any more money on Football ;)

Originally posted by Mass508:

Villanova's football team has a national reputation in the FCS that you should take pride in. It is at the same level at FCS as the basketball team is in NCAA Division I. If it were gone, you would be left with rooting for Lehigh, Drexel or Temple? Sorry, I am also a UMASS fan and can't stand Temple.
Here is where you lost me. Comparing fcs football to villanova basketball. Sorry, but fcs football is a horrible product, while college basketball is fun.

And if villanova dropped football, who would I be left rooting for? Same team I do now, the patriots.

I never ver heard of Brian kelly, so I looked him up. Notre dame football coach. and your point is....? Some guy who has a job with an average retention period of five years?

Mass508. Good post. Providence has a 65% female undergrad population. As much as I am personally intriegued by those numbers, it is nevertheless true that I have heard from administrators at the Div. 1, 2 & 3 levels that colleges have found football to be a good drawing card for male students.

If football is such a strong draw for male students, how come a school with nearly 7k students is lucky to have 250 students attend a football game?

The student body was in attendance for JMU and Fordham. We've had a run of bad weather that looks like it will continue on Saturday. Two games were scheduled on short notice: Morgan State and (unavoidably) Liberty, which also comes during finals and in conflict with a home basketball game, requiring a December night game. Two games were scheduled at night in November. We had rain for Fordham and URI. There was not one decent weather day at home all season. Weather drives attendance to a large extent. I'm sure VU was not the only school to be so affected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT