ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Wright Presser 2-6-21

JoshNaso

Jul 4, 2016
Some notes and quotes from Jay Wright's press availability on Saturday.

Leftover St. John's stuff...

“We have to make adjustments in our press offense. A lot of little things that we did not execute well against St. John’s. This year is more so than ever you have certain areas that you’re not really prepared for. We practiced for two days against the press but you can’t simulate their quickness, their execution, their physicality, you just can’t simulate that. You have to get into a game and be able to adjust and that’s what we didn’t do a good job of. We were trying to do what we wanted to, they were just better at their press than we were at our press offense.”

“I think our defense was sub-par. It wasn’t horrible. I think our transition defense was very poor. I think our turnovers put us in a really difficult situation defensively. A lot of our turnovers led to impossible transition situations defensively. And then we did have some opportunities in transition defense that we didn’t execute. That all kind of compounded our defensive problems.”

“We've never been one of those to flush the game away, burn the tape. We just feel like each game we can learn from. When you win you can go back and look at things, and you have to, you have to just keep trying to get better every game. And when you lose like that, it’s not just that there’s a lot to learn from, it’s kind of pounded into you that these issues defensively, these issues taking care of the ball offensively, playing against physicality, it really accentuates how important those areas are.”

On the response from the team in practice the last few days...

“Great response. I think you hear them say that when we win (needing to get back to work, get better). It’s true. We want to just keep getting better every night and learning from each game. Because it doesn’t matter where you are at this point in the season, even if you’re really good at this point in the season, it doesn’t matter. Everyone’s gonna keep getting better and if you stop improving you’re going to get caught along the way. When you get beat like this, it just accentuates how important it is to get better.”

On the report that many high school and college teams around the Philadelphia area will be practicing at 5:30 a.m. on Monday in honor of coach Chaney....

“I didn’t know about that, it’s actually a great idea. I might do that.”

We'll have more quotes from Wright regarding more Georgetown-specific stuff in our game preview later this afternoon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News