ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Manziel - rehab

Shocker.

He can't play in this league. The gimmick crap he did in college was fun and exciting, but it won't fly in this league.

I hope he gets the help he needs and can make the best use of his ability and natural charisma. I'm a much bigger Manziel fan as of today for taking this step to become a better person.

Originally posted by SnottieDrippen:
I hope he gets the help he needs and can make the best use of his ability and natural charisma. I'm a much bigger Manziel fan as of today for taking this step to become a better person.
Hate to say it but he feels like the kind of guy you will see having beers soon enough. He'll say "im not an alcoholic, I can handle a drink, just wanted to get my frequency and intake levels under control."

I think he is talented enough to play in the NFL, but there is not a QB in this league who can just walk up to center and play well. Prepare, prepare prepare. Until he dedicates himself that, he's got no shot. He feels a million miles away from that right now.

Originally posted by Villanova U:
Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Walk Hard wildly underrated.
+1. Fantastic film.
I have this right up with the best comedies of the last 20 years. Almost every scene is utterly ridiculous, has hilarious dialogue and the perfect level of mocking the genre. Tim Meadows and Parnell are great, and John C Rielly kills it.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Originally posted by SnottieDrippen:
Hate to say it but he feels like the kind of guy you will see having beers soon enough. He'll say "im not an alcoholic, I can handle a drink, just wanted to get my frequency and intake levels under control."

I think he is talented enough to play in the NFL, but there is not a QB in this league who can just walk up to center and play well. Prepare, prepare prepare. Until he dedicates himself that, he's got no shot. He feels a million miles away from that right now.
I fear that as well and the possibility that he is only doing it for his image. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that he wants to make the best of his life until he proves otherwise. Even if he does go back to his old ways, I will not tear him apart. It takes an incredible amount of strength to overcome a true addiction problem. Can't say if he is an addict or just flat out doesn't care - but if he stops living this lifestyle it will be a much better message to young ones out there.

Walk Hard is superior to Ghostbusters, but it is close

Yea, I hope he rights himself. But regardless, he won't be successful in this league. His style of play will get him battered.

not only his style of play, but his body type is not suited to the NFL. He is very slight, moreso than other shorter QBs, except maybe Vick -- who obviously has athleticism and arm strength on a whole different level from this guy. Brees is not a bigger guy, but obviously was a much more accomplished QB in college, as a passer, and also works incredibly hard on his body to be able to play in the NFL. The physical tools just aren't there for Manziel, and neither is the work ethic. Am surprised he was a first round pick -- NFL talent evaluators are normally much harder on QBs built like he is and with the character-related flags.

no chance he can play in the NFL. he was so awful when he got snaps it was eye opening. he was supposed to bring some excitement, but he looked so slow his intangibles don't translate to this level. he had one flash in the pan drive against Buffalo when they removed their starting D-line and went into a prevent. other than that, he is a joke. absolutely a joke. he served his purpose of selling some jerseys and season tickets to idiots in the fan base.

As recently as November, Jerry Jones was telling everyone who listed that he regretted not taking him more and more every day since the draft. Tell you everything you need to know about Jerry Jones.

For me it's way too early to paint Johnny Football as a Ryan Leaf/JaMarcus Russell - level bust yet.

He has one start - getting thrown into the fire on a very bad team facing a D-line featuring Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins.

He would never be on that level considering they were top five draft picks and he was 22nd overall. He's on the level of a Brandon Weeden/Brady Quinn type of draft bust due to draft position.

The Browns were not good by any means, but Manziel was so awful he took them to another level of bad. I assure you, having watched every snap this season, Manziel made Hoyer and Conor Shaw look like Montana and Young. He was that bad. He had no fuking idea what he was doing out there. He was too slow to create anything. His throws were awful.

He is absolutely terrible. There's a reason he went 22nd. Because the Browns are the worst run team in the league and no one else wanted him because he's terrible.

Cleveland's last four first Rd QB picks: Manziel, Weeden, Quinn, and Couch. Throw in mid-round picks like McCoy, Frye, and McCown. Ouch.

they would be better off building a team then throwing a ton of money at a free agent QB.

How many QBs drafted actually make it?

seems you get more value and more long term success drafting other positions over a QB.

In 2014 these are the starting QB's who were played for the team that drafted them/signed them as a rookie.

Brady *
Ryan
Roethlisberger *
Tannehill
Luck *
Wilson *
Eli
Rivers
Romo *
Rodgers *
Stafford *
Newton *
Carr
Flacco *
Dalton *
Kaepernick
Bortles
Bridgewater
Geno
Foles
Griffin/Cousins
Mettenberger/Locker

QB's who played for a team that either signed them or traded for them

Cutler
Brees
Orton
Hoyer
A Smith
Palmer * (team made it, he didn't)
McCown
P Manning *

* indictated their team made the playoffs this season

Successful free agent QB's are very hard to come by. Teams rarely let go of a QB. Since 1990 Drew Brees, Brad Johnson, Steve Young, & Trent Dilfer are the only QB's to win super bowls for a team that didn't draft them.

Lesson learned, waste picks on Qb's.

I went back looked at all the QBs that were drafted in the 1st Rd over the last 15 years. 41 QBs all total. Here's the breakdown including year drafted and what pick. The groupings are obviously up for debate.

Possible HOF'ers: (4)
Luck ('12 - 1), Rodgers ('05 - 24), E. Manning ('04 - 1), Roethlisberger ('04 - 11)

Good, but not quite elite: (5)
Newton ('11 - 1), Stafford ('09 - 1), Ryan ('08 - 3), Flacco ('08 - 17), Rivers ('04 - 4)

Solid QB/Will start for 8+ years; or still early (4)
Tannehill ('12 - 8), Bradford ('10 -1), Cutler ('06 - 11), Palmer ('03 - 1)

Serviceable: (2)
Griffin ('12 - 2), A. Smith ('05 - 1)

Had moments: (2)
Sanchez ('09 - 5), Vick ('01 - 1)

Bad/Bust: (18)
Weeden ('12 - 22), Locker ('11 - 8), Gabbert ('11 - 10), Ponder ('11 - 12), Tebow ('10 - 25), Freeman ('09 - 17), Russell ('07 - 1), Quinn ('07 - 22), V. Young ('06 - 3), Leinhart ('06 - 10), Campbell ('05 - 25), Losman ('04 - 22), Leftwich ('03 - 7), Boller ('03 - 19), Grossman ('03 - 22), Carr ('02 - 1), Ramsey ('02 - 32), Pennington ('00 - 18)

Incomplete: (Too soon to tell) (4)
Bortles ('14 - 3), Manziel ('14 - 22), Bridgewater ('14 - 32), Manuel ('13 - 16)

My guess is that a minimum of two of the incompletes will be busts within a couple of eyars.

my point is if you can draft position players and create a good team based on those picks you can still have success. ie Baltimore with Dilfer, Tampa with Johnson, i guess history shows you need a good QB to win it but you can still get there and be successful with a less than top tier QB.

in todays game it seems harder and harder to come by a QB, so why not draft other needs and go from there.

ie the Eagles, so many needs and yet all they talk about it getting rid of Foles for MM. draft other players, stick with Foles. history tells us he probably wont make it.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/release.aspx?release_id=97

Disservice to Pennington where you have him positioned. He should be in the "good, but not quite elite" grouping. Lots of wins and I believe an AFC championship game visit. Guided a Fish team that was 1-15 the preceding year to 11-5 and the only non-Patriots AFC East crown in about the last dozen years. Also, you have to question Cutler at this point. Otherwise, nice work.

Originally posted by novabball2:
my point is if you can draft position players and create a good team based on those picks you can still have success. ie Baltimore with Dilfer, Tampa with Johnson, i guess history shows you need a good QB to win it but you can still get there and be successful with a less than top tier QB.
You are citing arguably two of the top 5 defenses of all time.

Plus the league has progressed even further into being a passing league. It's mandatory to have a strong QB at this point. Just look at the 8 left standing at the divisional round.

Originally posted by LGBlue:
Disservice to Pennington where you have him positioned. He should be in the "good, but not quite elite" grouping. Lots of wins and I believe an AFC championship game visit. Guided a Fish team that was 1-15 the preceding year to 11-5 and the only non-Patriots AFC East crown in about the last dozen years. Also, you have to question Cutler at this point. Otherwise, nice work.
Pennington won the AFC east with the Jets as well. Since Brady became the starter he's the only other QB to win the AFC East.

QB is the single most important position in any sport. You have an elite QB you pretty much secure yourself in the playoffs every season and have a better than average shot of making the super bowl. Look at the Colts, they've missed the playoffs three times since 1998 and probably won't miss the playoffs for another 10+ season if Luck stays healthy.

the pass happy game is the reason i have lost interest in the NFL. i like the power running game so much better. nothing worse than when you have the best running back in the league and only need a yard on 3 and 1 and you throw the ball.

too much passing = too many pass interference calls ( i actually look for a flag every single play and so do the receivers and DBs) = too many incompletes = clock stopped = longer more boring games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT