ADVERTISEMENT

Just stating the obvious....,,

Gangtackle11

'Nova Nation Sensation
Jul 14, 2012
Barring a 4 game miracle the nail was put into the coffin for Villanova football playoff hopes at Towson last night.

Offense gained 400+ yards, but impossible to overcome 2 pick 6 interceptions.

I know many think Coach Talley shouldn't buy green bananas, but it's time to start mixing in freshmen like Forbes at RB & sophomores to get them some game experience. I'd like to see Gudzak play a more significant role as he runs hard & is productive.

The coaching staff needs to recruit speed at the wide out position. Rarely does this group get separation from the defense with the exception of Gulyas. McClenton will be a star in the slot the next 3 years. He has the speed needed.

May need to re-examine the offense & play more with a big pass catching TE & lineup with a 2 back look to run the ball from time to time.

The defense for the most part has been good, but unfortunately it needs to be great to win games this season.

We'll need to replace these seniors next season:
Offense:
Gulyas WR
Wallace OG
Tunnell TE
Wells Slot
Underwood RB

Defense:
Paris DE
Cherry LB
Lucas LB -former starter

A lot coming back. Hopefully they can patch the holes and come back from what is nothing else, but a very very disappointing season on the Main Line.

Barring a 4 game miracle the nail was put into the coffin for Villanova football playoff hopes at Towson last night.

I know many think Coach Talley shouldn't buy green bananas, but it's time to start mixing in freshmen like Forbes at RB & sophomores to get them some game experience. I'd like to see Gudzak play a more significant role as he runs hard & is productive.

The coaching staff needs to recruit speed at the wide out position. Rarely does this group get separation from the defense with the exception of Gulyas. McClenton will be a star in the slot the next 3 years. He has the speed needed.

May need to re-examine the offense & play more with a big pass catching TE & lineup with a 2 back look to run the ball from time to time.

The defense for the most part has been good, but unfortunately it needs to be great to win games this season.

Offense:
Gulyas WR
Wallace OG
Tunnell TE
Wells Slot
Underwood RB

Defense:
Paris DE
Cherry LB
Lucas LB -former starter

A lot coming back. Hopefully they can patch the holes and come back from what is nothing else, but a very very disappointing season on the Main Line.
Yet again, I feel like the OC gave a game away. Reminded me of the Penn play calling. I give him the that the loss of Javon White presented an in-game challenge, but too many times the play calling was either: 1) not what Nova does typically (drop back and look downfield); or, 2) not the position you put a young QB in. The 4th and 9 4Q play call was an absolute head scratcher.

Defense gave up 3 points after the 1Q. Held the QB and Victor to low numbers. You have to find a way to coach through the in-game adversity and win that game.

Team also loses McCurry at S, McCann at S and possibly Majors at LB (can't remember if he redshirted..

Hit post button before I listed the secondary. Solid players lost back there in McCurry & McCann.

Majors is a red shirt junior. Hopefully he returns.

Can't disagree with anything posted here. Both Pick-6's were head scratchers. Would also like to see them clean up the penalties and finally fix special teams. I'm not sure Joe Trainer is the one to do it.

Offense:
Gulyas WR
Wallace OG
Tunnell TE
Wells Slot
Underwood RB

Defense:
Paris DE
Cherry LB
Lucas LB -former starter

Offense:
Gulyas WR
Wallace OG
Tunnell TE
Wells Slot
Underwood RB

Defense:
Paris DE
Cherry LB
Lucas LB -former starter

Gudzak had 17 carries last night. What bothers me is ,Cats lost # 1 RB early (BTW no one in the VU section saw the injury to Javon-my wife-watching on TV told me about it)Forbes never gets a touch. Mc Clenton has one run. Come on Sam, wake up. Even Underwood did not have enough carries. 41 passes. Why ?Dillon Lukes out with a concussion. DE Bryan Osei goes down early. Kid has bad wheels. Gave VU a verbal, then went to Temple. Back to Nova this season with bad wheels.
We were sitting between the 10 and goal line. So this is second hand from a VU guy sitting on a direct line with the VU offense on the FG attempt. He said Cats set up 6 yds (not normal 7) Attempt blocked. If accurate then very stupid.
Lots of bitching in our section about play calling.

If ever there was a year to recruit a 5th year senior this was it. A speedster WR could have made a difference. This could have helped even after JR went down.

Very promising season went south pretty quickly. If JR doesn't do down, they beat Penn and Towson (should have beaten both anyway). With the game being 7:30 on Halloween night, the opponent (Maine), with VU pretty much out of the playoffs, and Temple-Notre Dame, I am really worried about attendance this Saturday

I am sorry, but when JR was healthy this season I wasn't impressed at all with our offense even then. He was just not the player he was before the concussion so I can't agree with anybody saying we would be better off with him. I watched every game this year and was at the Delaware game. The only time the offense looked like it was actually awake was after JR was injured.

I still think we were definitely better off with him. He's that much of a difference maker. However, I agree with you that even with JR, this yea'rs offense was not last year's even with JR. The offense just lost too many components that haven't been replaced yet.

Was Joe Trainer the one to do it last year when the Cats reached the Final 8? The coaches are playing the hand they were dealt. The loss of Javon White was the final nail in the coffin. Face it-- this will be an ugly November. Our ranking left town and Respectability is at the station. Projecting how the current Frosh will look in 3 years-- if past form holds, they will be better for gaining experience this season. Looking at losing the final 2 in '15 + Pitt '16 by a combined 150 points?

Was Joe Trainer the one to do it last year when the Cats reached the Final 8? The coaches are playing the hand they were dealt. The loss of Javon White was the final nail in the coffin. Face it-- this will be an ugly November. Our ranking left town and Respectability is at the station. Projecting how the current Frosh will look in 3 years-- if past form holds, they will be better for gaining experience this season. Looking at losing the final 2 in '15 + Pitt '16 by a combined 150 points?
I disagree with "playing the hand they're dealt." In fact, I think that defines the problem ... they're still playing the hand they wish they had instead of the one they do. The play calling against Penn and especially against Towson exposed a team that doesn't know how to play a game when their defense is their strength. i think they'll figure that out.

So DC, I'll take that bet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT