the trey, but we took some in the closing minutes with no extra passes
which give us offensive rhythm.

After the Penn game, Harry was quoted in the Daily News:

"We didn't come in with a game plan of
just shooting threes. We came in with a game plan of, 'Hey, if we can
get the ball inside, we'll get it inside. If not and the three-pointer's
open, you got to shoot it.' We shoot the three relatively well [35
percent for the season]."

Against Seton Hall, I guess Harry felt Villanova had open three point shots, but when certain players keep missing threes, don't you at some point tell these players to stop shooting threes?

Kavunaa Edwards, who was 4-4 on threes versus Penn, and 2-3 on threes versus Xavier, did not shoot the ball well from behind the three-point line versus Seton Hall. In only 11 minutes of game time, Edwards took a somewhat unbelievable 10 three point shots, making only 2.

However, on field goal attempts that were not threes, she was 2-2.

It seems to me, you want Kavunaa Edwards on the court at the end of the game, because she's one of the team's top rebounders. However, you don't want her to keep jacking up threes and missing them at an incredible rate. I would have told her, look, your three-point shot is not falling this game, but we need you, so stop jacking up threes and concentrate on defense.

Instead, Harry took Edwards out with 15:50 left in the 2nd half, with Villanova trailing 38-35, never to return in the game.

Then, in the last minute of the game, Seton Hall got two key offensive rebounds, with Edwards on the bench. That was hard to watch, with the ball rolling around on the floor, and Villanova unable to come up with it.

This post was edited on 1/24 11:25 AM by TC Romulus

While other Villanova players seemed to have the green light to keep taking threes versus Seton Hall, Louin only took 2 shots in 23 minutes.

Both shots were three pointers, and the second one looked so bad I was sure Harry was going to take her out of the game, except that Louin made a great steal on the next play.

Maybe Harry feels if Louin drives the ball to the hoop, she won't be in defensive position on the next play.

Maybe the reason Villanova kept jacking up threes in this game even when they went through a 2-13 stretch is that Harry feels that jacking up threes allows the team to get back in a defensive position against an athletic team like Seton Hall.

However, Louin rarely even takes threes anymore, despite the fact that she is shooting 40% on three pointers for the season.

The lead only changed once in this game. I think if Villanova was going to win this game, they needed to do something more than just take threes. I think against the top teams in the Big East, you need to mix it up.

When Villanova beat Depaul, Louin drove the ball to the hoop successfully. In that game, she had 16 points, including 6 points on three pointers and 4 points from the foul line.

On the last play of the game, by the time Burford passed the ball back to C. Coyer, C. Coyer had to take a three-pointer ten feet behind the line with a hand in her face.

Now maybe if you only had 2 seconds on the clock to begin with that would have been a good shot, but they had 7.9 seconds to begin with, and it seems to me they could have passed it around and gotten a three-point shot 10 feet closer.

In some games Burford shoots the ball well, but this was not one of those games, so why have Burford inbound the ball when Leer or K. Coyer were better three point options than Burford?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT