ADVERTISEMENT

Loisville and UConn make BIG EAST NCAA Championship

UncleBill57

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
It will be a fitting curtain call before many members including our C7 departs from the storied conference that has meant so much to so many. Hopefully our players will both enjoy and prosper in their new league beginning next year possibly with games scheduled with some of our departing BE members.

This years BE final four with 3 BE teams among the 4 mirrors the men's 1985 one where Villanova brought down the house.

Congratulations to Villanova's own Denise Dillon and her Drexel Dragons for winning this years NIT championship.

Stinks for ND, they beat Uconn 3 times this year and lose the only one that matters. thats why im not a big fan of the single elimination when you get to the final four and NC game.

I say make it 32 teams. and make the final four and NC game best of 3s.

Villanova did the same thing in 1985 vs the Hoyas. What makes the NCAA so appealing is that there's a single elimination from start to finish.

i know but it greatly devalues the regular season. its same for the mens game. I actually would like to see the top 32 teams make it, make the NIT a big time event again and let the second 32 play the NIT like the old days.

Agreed, this is quite a swan song for the former Big East, with five of the final 8 in the two final fours from the B/E. It is still odd, talking with UConn fans who have absolutley no idea of who they will be playing next year - it hasn't really sunk in with them yet either. At least Gino will be able to schedule a top notch non-conference schedule for his team.

I like the single elimination concept too. Just an amazing amount of history in the NCAA tournaments over the years and a lot of them involve monumental upsets (Nova '85 anyone?). Recall that both Notre Dame and Texas A&M women in 2011 had lost to UConn and Baylor respectively three times in-season but won the ones that counted in the NCAA tournament in memorable games with both advancing to the title game. UConn just repaid that one on ND this year. The way that Stewart is playing now, I don't think ND would have been able to win a three game series from UConn.

Louisville definately is not one of the top ten teams this year, but they did what they had to do to get to the championship game. Walz is just an outstanding coaching talent, enjoys the game and is able to get every last bit of effort from his team in buying into his program. He was in the stands during the second game last night and welcomed everyone. I did get to contratulate him as he made his way to the ESPN studio between halves of the second game for his interview. Just a class guy.

If UConn wins tomorrow night we will probably be out of the building before they bring the ladder out to cut down the nets. If Louisville manages to pull off the stunner we will probably hang around for quite a while as that will have been one for the ages.

Best of 3 would be a bad move. Single elimination is the way to go. The regular season is not devalued as it determines seeding. No way the NIT would ever be anything more than the NIT in my eyes. Everyone wants the big prize.

GO CATS!!!

back in the late 60s early 70s the NIT was regarded as the better overall tourney. You had only the conf winners make the dance back then so if there was an upset in the ACC Final the better team who lost went to the NIT. it happened a lot.

Back then vinyl was the way to listen to music as well. The current format just makes so much sense. The NIT was killed in favor of this format and the end result blew up to the gigantic thing it is today. Dual champions would be problematic and divisive. Just my opinion.

GO CATS!!!

There were years when Jack Kraft chose the NIT over the NCAA and us fans were delighted.

Absolutely accurate. Kraft chose the NIT when we were seeded far from home in the NCCAs. Remember that teams used to be able to play in both way back. Rupp said that his team would win both. They didn't but CCNY did win the NCAA and NIT in 50 or 5, just before the point shaving scandal erupted.

CCNY crushed Kentucky in the NCAAs and beat #1 Bradley for both championships. Rupp said his boys would never be involved in the point shaving yet several were found guilty the following year even two who were already in the NBA. None ever played NBA hoops again.

The SEC was instrumental in Kentucky having to scrap their football as well as their basketball season the following year. Yet most players stayed at Kentucky and resumed play the following year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT