ADVERTISEMENT

McCoy

dont like the move just because i'm a shady fan. plus i loved trent cole. bad day yesterday for me.

at least they got some return this time vs. desean. hopefully alonso gets back to his previous self.

so this pretty much guarantees that they're keeping maclin is my guess. and i'm also guessing that spiller comes too at a decent price. or they throw a total curveball and get AP if he is released from the vikings (not sure if that's smart given his wear and tear).

and thus the saga for mariotta continues.

I was shocked when I saw this Kiko Alonso guy was white.

Seems like Chip "Married to Football" Kelly likes his linebackers (Alonso, Barwin) to look like A&F models
Posted from Rivals Mobile

i have never seen a QB who ISNT the sure thing #1 pick (like the mannings) be coveted by a team. Mariotta might be a 6th -10th pick and the Eagles are giving up too much for him. makes no sense.

id rather be a giants fan, suck for 5 years win a SB, suck again, win a SB. suck again.

Originally posted by novabball2:
McCoy is 26 and is one of the top 3 RB in the league. and probably top 5 overall offensive players that are not QBs. i dont get the move especially cause they have no body to replace him. they opened up a lot of CAP SPACE with their moves this weel so FAs need to be signed. we live and die with Chip Kelly. right now its looking like a quick death.
McCoy has lost a step and not a top 3 back. He's the 2nd best back in the state of PA alone. Guy is entering his 7th year. You are thinking of the Shady McCoy from 2-3 years ago.

McCoy is 26 and is one of the top 3 RB in the league. and probably top 5 overall offensive players that are not QBs. i dont get the move especially cause they have no body to replace him. they opened up a lot of CAP SPACE with their moves this weel so FAs need to be signed. we live and die with Chip Kelly. right now its looking like a quick death.
1) he turns 27 in like 3 months and has already played 6 seasons in the NFL.

2) he has nearly 1,800 touches in his NFL career. Just as a comparison, a guy like Terrell Davis only had 1,824 touches in his career. he is old by RB standards

3) he is set to make $10+ million I believe and apparently wanted a new deal. you don't pay that to RBs in today's NFL as RBs are the most replaceable position in the league

This post was edited on 3/4 11:26 AM by bmoneynova

1319 yds rushing last season only 288 yds off his career best last year, who on the eagles is gonna get that next year? polk? sproles? he is also a player the defenses are terrified of and impacts the game even without touching the ball. im sorry but releasing him was about money not performance. has only missed 6 games since 2009 , played 15 games twice, 16 games (full season) three times, and 12 games one year. guy rarely gets hurt.

You can find a guy in the 3rd round to run for 1300 in that system. You are making this emotional because you like Shady and have visions on 2013.

ill stop posting cause there is nothing anyone can say to make me think this is a good move. eagles fan are in love with chip kelly who has 0 NFL playoff wins and 0 NC at Oregon. and was 2-2 in bowl games. what has he done to warrant such love? 20-12 in the NFL.

I'll say it again, I don't want anyone else's running back. I am sure there is an example of one working out somewhere, I just cannot think of it.

Signing DeMarco would indeed make this a head scratcher though. This move definitely shakes up the draft too. Did Gurley and or Mel Gordon just move up on someone's board?

I am with Gdog - I can see someone like Spiller coming in at far less money. I'd be fine with that as an Eagles fan too. I think he'd do well there.

ill stop posting cause there is nothing anyone can say to make me think this is a good move. eagles fan are in love with chip kelly who has 0 NFL playoff wins and 0 NC at Oregon. and was 2-2 in bowl games. what has he done to warrant such love? 20-12 in the NFL.
I'm nowhere close to an Eagles fan so I have no idea why you keep saying this.

from a strictly football and $$ point of view, they 100% made the correct call

I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread that believe it was the right move and that they can overcome losing McCoy. One thing I don't always agree with is that once a RB gets to a certain age or has X amount carries automatically means he's done or will be done soon. I agree with using it as a gauge, but you have to look at each player on a case by case basis. Some guys are quite capable of producing past those cutoff markers.

The Eagles will find a competent RB or group of RBs that produce for them. I'm not worried about that.

RB is the easiest position to replace.

Originally posted by bmoneynova:

I'm nowhere close to an Eagles fan so I have no idea why you keep saying this.

from a strictly football and $$ point of view, they 100% made the correct call
I find it surprising to defend bmoney but I can assure you he is not a Phila fan by any stretch of the imagination. As a matter of fact, some of us feel he comes out against nearly any Phila trade but he has been consistent about this one and says the Eagles made the right move.

To start off, I'm ok with trade, I completely understand it and in theory it makes sense. But you say that you can throw any running back and their and get most of what McCoy did and that may be true, but it also may turn out to be incredibly false. You say he's the 2nd best RB in PA like that's some kind of insult. The top running back in PA is probably the best overall RB in the league so I don't exactly get your point. And McCoy was 3rd in the league in rushing last year, played behind a decimated offensive line for a lot of the year, is running in a system designed to have a running threat at qb, but since they don't, it gave the edge rushers free runs into the backfield which hurt his cutbacks and also he also had 3 games in which he ran for 17, 19 and 22 yards, which I'm willing to consider outliers and not likely to repeat again. His last 4 years he's had 1300 with 20 tds, 800 (injury year), 1607 with 11 tds and 1320 with 5tds. Also throw in receiving yards of 315, 370, 530 and 155. He's a top 5 back in the league and a game breaker. Anyone can site guys who started to break down in their 27 season just like you can find guys in their early 30's still performing extremely well. It's going to be a big whole to fill and if Average Running Back A comes in and produces then it will be a great trade regardless of Kiko can do anything on the field. But if Average Running Back A comes in and kills the running game the team is based around and Kiko has lingering effects of ACL surgery, the move wont look so good. I think the ancillary parts of the deal will actually be the most important aka what Chipper does with the cap savings he created. If he gets the next Nhamadi then it'll all go to crap.

Originally posted by selmore1:
To start off, I'm ok with trade, I completely understand it and in theory it makes sense. But you say that you can throw any running back and their and get most of what McCoy did and that may be true, but it also may turn out to be incredibly false. You say he's the 2nd best RB in PA like that's some kind of insult. The top running back in PA is probably the best overall RB in the league so I don't exactly get your point. And McCoy was 3rd in the league in rushing last year, played behind a decimated offensive line for a lot of the year, is running in a system designed to have a running threat at qb, but since they don't, it gave the edge rushers free runs into the backfield which hurt his cutbacks and also he also had 3 games in which he ran for 17, 19 and 22 yards, which I'm willing to consider outliers and not likely to repeat again. His last 4 years he's had 1300 with 20 tds, 800 (injury year), 1607 with 11 tds and 1320 with 5tds. Also throw in receiving yards of 315, 370, 530 and 155. He's a top 5 back in the league and a game breaker. Anyone can site guys who started to break down in their 27 season just like you can find guys in their early 30's still performing extremely well. It's going to be a big whole to fill and if Average Running Back A comes in and produces then it will be a great trade regardless of Kiko can do anything on the field. But if Average Running Back A comes in and kills the running game the team is based around and Kiko has lingering effects of ACL surgery, the move wont look so good. I think the ancillary parts of the deal will actually be the most important aka what Chipper does with the cap savings he created. If he gets the next Nhamadi then it'll all go to crap.
I dont think McCoy saw the end zone till about week 10 last year. Maybe once before that. And I am trying to think if he's won a playoff game as an Eagle, but I dont think he has. I know he wasn't exactly the perfect fit for Kelly, but that does not mean Kelly used him as well as he could have either. He's defintley a top 5 guy and he will get the ball a lot in 2015. A ton.

Lastly, Kiko "Serrano's got the DISKS!" Alonso has now torn BOTH ACL's and I believe has also had hip surgery. Lot of knife for a guy that young. But he is young, so he can come back.

how many RBs produce into their 30s in today's NFL?

Fred Jackson, and?

it doesn't happen. and for reference- Mccoy has MORE touches than Fred Jackson does in his career.

IMO, McCoy is old for his age. He's entering his 7th NFL season as a RB. He's got a lot of wear and tear. It's more than being 27. He was a pup upon entering the league.

Originally posted by NickleDimer:
...Only downside is a lack of exciting star athletes in the CoP now.
Gdog doesn't count anymore?

TDs are not a good indicator because there can be a lot of factors involved with that. Furthermore, McCoy has always been just ok in short yardage situations. It's not what made him a great back.

I think the main reason the move was made was for financial reasons. They didn't want to pay a RB that much money. And even though I still believe McCoy is one of the better backs in the league, he's probably on the downward part of his career. With that said, McCoy's downward trend could still be very good. It's not like he's going to be one of those 1,400-yard backs to 500 yards. His declining rate will probably be more moderate in how it happens.

There is evidence that the better backs can continue to produces thru age 29. In McCoy's case, that would be three more years, at least. But again, they Eagles probably are sacrificing some production at that position for cap relief that will help them at another position that aren't as easy to fill.

Gr8 deal here for the birds. Kelly dealing one year early vs one year late to maximize value of a depreciating asset and clearing a bunch of space to build a stronger, more balanced team. Belichick would be proud of such a move.

Football is totally different than the other three major sports. The shelf life of these players just isn't that long on average. Yes, there are exceptions. Getting rid of of a soon-to-be 27-year old RB in football isn't the sane as just getting rid of a star player at the same age in one of the other three sports. I think a lot of fans fail to realize that.

nothing wrong with not wanting to pay a running back $12 million

plenty wrong with trading him even up for an inside linebacker coming off his second acl tear who happens to be yet another white oregon player, rather than a couple of picks

and i'm assuming that this smug charles durning jackass is going to try to buy a defense in free agency and part with whatever the price is to move up to take his special little guy at quarterback. that's what danny snyder does

kelly is a f--king mountebank who is going to leave this franchise in ruins

Originally posted by BettyHester:

I give this even odds right now. Not convinced in either direction yet.

I have no problem with Kelly building the team the way he wants. I think he is a smart dude. Now, ultimately they may never win anything of significance because maybe he short-changes one part of the team and it holds them back. I don't really ever see them ever being awful with him at the helm.

Originally posted by BettyHester:
nothing wrong with not wanting to pay a running back $12 million

plenty wrong with trading him even up for an inside linebacker coming off his second acl tear who happens to be yet another white oregon player, rather than a couple of picks

and i'm assuming that this smug charles durning jackass is going to try to buy a defense in free agency and part with whatever the price is to move up to take his special little guy at quarterback. that's what danny snyder does

The race of the Oregon player has nothing to do with it. Josh Huff is black, was a colossal reach in the third round and the early returns are pretty bad. Not Marcus Smith bad, but looking like a bad pick.

I'm still saying "In Chip I trust" but it's getting a little harder. The odds on him leaving the franchise in ruins have really improved from a year or so ago.

If he pays anything close to an RGIII-like price for MM and he is not a great and durable player (odds are against that on both fronts IMO), a bet on "franchise in ruins, Chip back in college" would pay off within 3 years at most.

1) is Mccoy the best RB in the league? yes or no.

2) is Mccoy on the downside of his career? yes or no.

3) are running backs replaceable in the NFL nowadays? Yes or no. (I know the answer to this since you already said so in this thread).

lets see Burrs' answers.

Originally posted by bmoneynova:
1) is Mccoy the best RB in the league? yes or no.

2) is Mccoy on the downside of his career? yes or no.

3) are running backs replaceable in the NFL nowadays? Yes or no. (I know the answer to this since you already said so in this thread).

lets see Burrs' answers.
1. Top 5

2. Up for debate; possible.

3. Yes

None of that matters. It's just an example of you questioning a salary to another player like you routinely do. That's my point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT