ADVERTISEMENT

Mighty Macs Movie delayed again

tpenter

Diaper Dandy
Nov 27, 2005
The Immaculata Mighty Macs movie was set to debut nationally on the weekend of the final four but has been delayed once again, apparently until October for no reason given other than to "coincide with the 40 year anniversary of thier first national championship". The red carpet premiere is still set to go on March 28th here in Philly however.

The trailers for the movie look cool, with lots of cameos by former coaches, players and other locals. Not sure how Tony Luke makes it in there other than he probably provided free food.

ptenter,

I loved the book because it brilliantly combined hoops and the academic sociology of the times. The book spoke to me as a Philly CYO kid; I hope the flick covers both as well as the book.

Whitecat -

The name of the game is to make money so I am sure some artistic liberties were taken in the scripting of the film to make it marketable, but the underlying story has got to be there.

I hope it takes off like the Invincable movie about Vince Papale did, a low budget film that became a hit because it was a feel-good story about the little guy defying the odds and making it. Quite a few liberties were taken with that story line, but nevertheless the basic premise remained intact. The addition of local scenes and personalities made that movie a local favorite, but the storyline made it a national hit.

The Mighty Macs were truly one of the few teams that pushed women's basketball into the modern era, and the hardships and financial shortcomings that the coaches and players endured are sure to be highlighted in the film. Those factors were almost certainly one of the hot items that helped push through Title IX and any female school or college athtlete today should be required to know this story to understand the roots of where all of the advantages they have today came from.

I fully expect rebuke from all of the "women's basketball sucks" lurkers out there on the board, but certainly none of them ever had a wife or daughter that was a student-athlete or if they did they are probably estranged from them at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT