Years ago I was doing some work at Delta State
in Cleveland, Mississippi. We know how good
they were in ladies' hoops. MVS was built out in
a field because of racial issues. I did take a drive
through the campus. It is a wonder that those
schools have survived with the lack of funding
they get.

I imagine Harry will have us ready.

The inexperienced Devilettes(?) were no match for the Nova offensive firepower and defensive pressure, falling by an 87-53 score. Nova tied the school record with 18 three balls, with a shot at the record in the last minute off the mark. Drexel won a sloppy game against the host Toledo Rockets, setting up a noon contest with the Dragons for the championship on Sunday. Nothing like playing a Philadelphia pickup game in Toledo.

Everyone played with the exception of Taylor Holeman (expected to be back for Thursday's game) and Brandi Teague who is rehabbing a knee injury and will probably be out for the first half of the season. Freshmen Samantha Wilkes, Jordan Dillard and Megan Quinn all suited up and got more than nominal playing time. Quinn scored the record tying three ball with about two minutes to go and also missed the shot that would have extended the record to 19.

Lauren Burford got us started by hitting on her first 3 threes as we got out early and other than a few hiccups, had the game pretty well in hand. MVSU did not attempt to press us at all, even after falling behind. Burford's 18 led all scorers. Kendall Burton scored well wioth 15 points, Emily Leer added 12 and Devon Kane 11. All four of those players had 3 three pointers each for the game.

Drexel should provide a much stiffer test for us tomorrow. For long periods of the game, Drexel's shooting took a holiday and allowed an even worse shooting Toledo team hang with them. After pushing out the lead to about 13 with less than 8 to play, a few sloppy turnovers, some missed shots and a lot of fouls, Toledo worked themselves within 4 points and had the ball, but that was as close as they would come, eventuallly losing by more than 10 points. Drexel did not show any press at all today, but something tells me we might see it appear a few times against Nova.

terry,

What ! like to see is most of the older players
getting numbers and being supported by a strong group
of younger players. 1 renember a game against the Cuse
when we scored on 14 treys in a row with some misses of twos
in the middle.

LadyCats defeat Drexel by about a dozen.
Two additions: Leer led us in scorig with 19(19?)
Edwards the soph grabbed 8 boards. Help on the boards
is always needed.
This post was edited on 11/10 6:55 PM by whitecat

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT