ADVERTISEMENT

NBA League Wide Averages by Season

SnottieDrippen

All VUSports.com Team
Nov 14, 2012
Now, don't get me wrong - I'm having a great time with March Madness. Last night I was at Gramercy Ale House and did plenty of celebrating after.

But I saw some stats which basically confirms that the NBA is just as good if not better than ever (IMO) and wanted to get some feedback. See the link:

Basically, if you look at Offensive Rating (points scored per 100 posessions) league wide over the years, defense is actually tougher now than it was in the 90s. The early 2000s were actually the peak of defensive play. I bring this up because of the constant claims that Jordan had it harder and would somehow score more points today even though the numbers strongly disagree with that. Just because guys were more physical doesn't mean they were superior defenders. You can be much more effective on defense by knowing which shoulder a post player prefers to turn towards than being a goon who just bruises you.

Another interesting state is the changes in FG% vs. eFG%. eFG% basically takes into account that 3 pointers are worth 50% more and assigns them the proper value in terms of cost/benefit. FG% has decreased over the past 20 years but eFG% has been generally higher over the past 7-8 years (when the NBA started to become good again imo).

3 Point Attempts per game by team increased from 2.3 in 1982, to 9.9 in 1994, and then made a huge jump to 15.5 in 1995, and then essentially leveled out until (once again 7-8 years ago when NBA started to become good again) 2007-08 when it rose to 18.1 and has increased since to 22.4 this year. Basically, teams are playing better defense than they have in 35 years, but players who are able to get open looks (through impressive ball movement typically) are more efficient than ever before and doing it from the spots on the court that capitalize upon these opportunities the most.

You can definitely see that Nova has drawn inspiration from Golden State. I know Barkley said Atlanta, but I think he was saying that as a reflection of the lack of household names. Barkley also watches more highlights than games it seems. We are definitely more GSW. Constant ball motion, stifling D, and a coach who brings out the best in his guys.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html

I've made the same correlation. We play with one big and then 4 guys that can essentially switch on anything defensively. Offensively, always have at least 3 shooters to spread the court and create spacing. Interior passing is also important.

That's what happens when you change the rules so much that playing defense isn't really helpful....

So glad the college game hasn't butchered its rules to be like the NBA. Hope espn does not get their wish of ruining the college game to make it closer to the bad product of the NBA.

NBA is a great product, which Nova has found success emulating. Just like in college, bad teams are a bad product, but good teams are fantastic product.

The NBA was better when there was motivation to play defense. Now they have changed the rules that defensive effort is usually going to be a foul, so you are punished for playing defense, so nobody tries in defense, and it makes the offenses look prettier.

And hey, pretty offenses attract viewers, so people are happy.

But for basketball fans like me, I don't need that video game style nonsense.

Ball is so out of his league here. Pretty clueless to say the least. Hopefully it's part of the troll act more so than what he really believes.

The good thing for people who enjoy both games is that changes are coming to make the college product better. Let's start with that outdated 35-second shot clock. Let's take the game away from the coaches and give it back to the players.

We get it burrsies, you don't like defense, you don't like teams having the option of fast or slow paced tempo....

But let those that actually enjoy that stuff continue to watch the College game while you enjoy your video game style NBA.

I hope the ncaa moves the shot clock back up to 45 seconds

Plenty of defense played in NBA. Really, plenty. That's just an old, stale, misinformed belief by lazy people who don't take the time to actually watch the game.

I'm looking forward to the changes coming to the college game. It's going to be good stuff.

According to the original post, the adjusted field goal percentages in the NBA are at an all time high. Reason? Nobody plays defense anymore.

But hey, if you enjoy quick possession with wide open shots, then go watch the NBA. I prefer watching a team allowed to control tempo if they want and to see good defense rewarded, like the college game.

The Tourney has been pretty high level this year. Makes me regret not watching more games outside of
The Big East this season

My stats had nothing to do with NBA vs. College - was just observing some clear statistical trends in pro basketball from the past few decades. Think they are pretty indisputable (the stats), but the reasons I had for them could be wrong.

The offense in the NBA is so good because on a whole the players have never been better offensively. You're clueless....

So the NBA de-emphasizing defense is not the Eason for the spike in offense? 10 years ago the players stunk offensively, but now they are better than ever?

Sure. Keep buying the hype

vg_jam_1_576.jpg

Ball, the players 10 years ago were very much the same guys in the league today. I agree.

I explained the reason in my original post. 3 PT attempts and eFG% significantly jumped 7-8 years ago. This is because the NBA FINALLY stopped believing in the old school mentality and started to embrace advanced metrics. Teams started shooting more 3s. Front offices changed their philosophies. Coaches started to care more about guys who can space the floor than they did about having jokes like Shawn Bradley in the paint.

The NBA has literally become smaller and put more emphasis on skill. It's undeniable

Plus, we all saw the reason college basketball sucks tonight. 1 game decides your "value" to the entire nation. Too small of a sample size. Another example of poor old school metrics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT