ADVERTISEMENT

NIT Bracket

has it always been 64 teams in the womens NIT? the men only get 32. so 128 womens programs make either the NCAA or NIT? seems like a big number. i guess its the same with men when you add in the CBI and CIT along with the 68 NCAA and 32 NIT,

so basically as long as you arent historically bad you make a post season tourney. seems about right to milk the kids for everything they can give you to fatten the wallet of the schools.

Good win by the cats tonight - hosting Sunday afternoon! Look forward to going to see them play.

I need this confirmed. Did the LadyCats defeat ODU 71-66?

I realize that I am answering my own question. The score above is correct, and Leer
led us with with 23 points.

This post was edited on 3/22 7:01 PM by whitecat

Correct. The girls led the whole game and the result was never in doubt.

Next game thursday at 7pm vs St Johns at the Pavillion.

We were able to make the game - they led the whole way and it got a little interesting in the closing minutes but they maintained composure.

Looking forward to hosting again on thursday night.

Go cats!!

Another solid performance! Way to go lady cats! Been a fun season.

Too bad we didn't get to host another one, but let's win this one at West Virginia.

I think it's possible Villanova could host another home game if they win at West Virginia.

When Drexel won the WNIT in 2013, they played their first two games at Drexel, then won road games at Bowling Green and at Auburn, and then won their final two games back at Drexel, beating Florida and Utah.

Temple beat NC State tonight, so it might be possible to get a road game on North Broad after WVa......

I saw it written on the Villanova website that Villanova will be making its first appearance this year in the WNIT quarterfinals.

I don't think that's accurate.

I think this is the first time Villanova has won three games in the WNIT.

However, back in 2006, when the WNIT tournament was a 40 team tournament, and Villanova had a first round bye, Villanova won two games and made the WNIT quarterfinals, losing to Western Kentucky at Villanova, 94-81. Western Kentucky advanced to the semifinals.

Maybe someone who reads this message board would know who in the Villanova sports information department to pass this information along to.

I believe you are correct, with Nova beating half decent Hofstra and Xavier teams at home before hosting WKU. That was a track meet and for a while it looked like WKU would put a hundred on the board against us, something I think has only happened one time in his career. They even hit a half court shot at the halftime buzzer.

That was a very good team that year, left on the wrong side of the NCAA bubblebecause of a few bad losses early in the season. That was also the senior year for all of the freshman from the NCAA elite 8 team from 2003.

West Virginia is a huge team, so rebounding will be even more of a problem than usual for us. Keeping them off the offensive boards will be key for us to continue on to the semifinals of the WNIT. That would be pretty amazing if we are one of the final eight teams still playing ball after this weekend.

Excuse me, TP, but that would be final 4 after tomorrow.........just sayin'

cc:

Should have said tomorrow (Monday) and referring to both women's NCAA and WNIT brackets. Of 326 or so Division I teams, there will only be eight that have not completed their seasons by Monday night. Let's hope that we are one of them! Sorry that I just could not make it down to Morgantown, but with going away next weekend to Tampa I needed to get some office work cleared out.

the temple girls play at WVU on Wed in the NIT semis. hope they have better luck. its a shame Nova didnt win, would be nice to have two philly schools playing each other in the post season.

As nice as a local "Big Game" for women's basketball would have been, there would have only been maybe a thousand fans there. West Virginai should get 3,000 plus for their game and would probably host the championship game also. They have a great fan base, provide lots of participation opportunities for fans and season ticket holders, promote the game and team to women and children to build support from the ground up.

Nova is never gonna draw a big crowd for a game going fwd. they used to get maybe 2K-3K for #1 Uconn but then people realized the game was over at halftime when it was 60-12 and left.

just would have been nice for the Seniors and coaches to continue the season with a local NIT semi. nothign worse than having to travel. the WVU bus ride is horrible.

Why is it that WVa gets five straight home games?

Insane. The home cooking there is tough to overcome. They are a much different team on the road.

I agree, amazing. Well, we had it but it slipped away. The team was really fun to watch this year. One more year with the coyers!

temple ladies lost in OT at WVU as well. both them and Nova went down fighting.

UCLA and WVU in the finals.

It would be nice to know why WVU had 6 home games, no away, for the tournament.

They were below .500 away from home, but almost unbeatable at their place.

I will tell you that the home cookin' was ridiculous in both our game and Temple. I can only imagine what is was like during the Big XII season.

Honestly, they aren't that good. We had the game won, and I figure we win by 15-20 at the Pav.

This post was edited on 4/3 5:28 PM by ccoyer

cc - although the WNIT local rep had no clue as to how the home courts were chosen, I believe they try to seed the teams in order to determine initital home games (hence we got Maine at home, when the were drawing 3,000 plus for their last four or five home games) but after that, they are in it to make money.

Travel considerations are one way to save money, so we had an "eastern" and a "western" bracket instead of four regionals with no geographic placement like the NCAA. Site availability on short notice comes into play also. After that, I think the teams that sell more tickets get the preference. Three or four thousand people in the seats at WVA sounds a lot more palatable and profitable then 650 people at Nova or Temple.

Nonetheless, both Nova and Temple had West Virginia beat and gave the games away at the end. We had multiple chances to pull away from WVA but never could quite build a big enough cushion to prevent it from coming down to the wire (sound familiar?). We seem destined to always allow good teams to be right there with us at the end and in many cases still a win from us that we should have had put away before the final minute.

My thoughts..........

In order for WBB to garner more fan interest in the sport (thus more TV revenue, etc), the WBB powers-that-be have tried their best to create icons, superteams, and larger than life story lines.They bend over backwards to insure that the NCAA tournament will have as close to all four number seeds as possible by virtue of the home arena advantages, for instance. Also, they have made it nearlly impossible for teams outside the Big 5 conferences to receive at-large berths. I guess their thinking is that those conferences have the largest followings. In many cases, unfortunately, they are correct in that assumption.

My opinion is that, at some point, the NCAA tournament committee will reach the point of diminishing returns with such tactics, as they will effectively suck all of the suspense and human interest out of the tournament, and thus, the sport itself. For those of us close to the game, they already have done so. For instance, it is beyond ridiculous for a conference champion like DePaul to receive an 8-9 seed in the tournament when they had already proven during the season that they could play with anyone, while teams finishing 5th or 6th in other conferences receive more deference.

March Madness in the mens' game blossomed out of the upsets and near upsets - the David vs Goliath fights in the early rounds. Everyone loves to root for the underdogs. The womens game, for the most part, has almost as much parity as the mens game. So, I ask you, when will the WBB marketing gurus deem it the time for history to repeat itself?

To answer your original question, yes, I believe that UConn is good for WBB, just like UCLA under the Wizard of Westwood was good for MBB back when basketball were still leather goods. And, oh my, wasn't it exciting back then, watching their big games on tv, waiting to see who would finally knock them off and end the run?

Just my 2 cents............
Just like UCLA, UConn and Coach Auriemma have gone about their biz the right way, not only building a dynasty, but fostering fine young individual women, with all the right core values, and very nice to be around.

If there is a villain to be found in the game, it is with the NCAA, ESPN, and Nike for essentially shutting the door of opportunity for most of the game, the teams, and its participants regardless of age.

the problem is Uconn kills everyone. its not like there is a great Duke mens team that beat UNLV in the final four , Uconn will crush ND again and win the title. how is that satisfying for Geno and the players knowing they are gonna win just by showing up?

when ND beat them in the final four a few years ago they had Diggins. she is once in a program player. without someone like that Uconn is not losing.

id love to see ND win but id take Uconn to win by 15+.

Frankly, Skylar Diggins is not really a franchise player. More mouth and attitude than anything.

Look up franchise player in the dictionary and you will see a pic of Brianna Stewart.

Everyone got a bit tired of UCLA being so dominant as well. The difference is that WBB, with the partial exception of UConn, is reall doing their best to manufacture dominant teams. That's the rub with me.

ccoyer,

You realize that Wooden's long run was fed by his Sugar Daddy Sam Gilbert
who was as a gambler/crook who bought holy John's teams to Westwood. I saw
Brianna Stewart as a ninth grader; she was the best I have ever seen at that age.
Coach A is a better coach and person that I could ever imagine.

With all due respect, I couldn't care less about her stats, and I seriously doubt she could touch Shelly P. anyway. Remember that when Shelly played there was no 3 pt line. But I'm certain that if you ask Skylar, she will tell you that it was Notre Dame's honor to have her play there.

I can't think of any player, male or female, that I would have disliked playing with more than Ms. Diggins, by all reliable accounts. Just my opinion, and I am not at liberty to be candid here to substantiate my position.

I will agree with you on one thing, though. She's the type of player that probably only comes around once in a lifetime....
wink.r191677.gif

so your dislike for her is taking away from your ability to see how good she was? 3 final fours, two championship games. is villanova women's bball still gonna hang its hat on Shelly. that was like 35 years ago. almost as bad as the mens team and the 85 championship.

why don't you like her? cause he is insanely pretty? a great player? both?

Diggins was great. BUT, had Delle Donne stuck with UConn, she would have won 4 National Championships. Had Delle Donne signed initially with Harry and Villanova, we would have won a National Championship.

Lastly, Sammy Watkins is really attractive.

Nova would not have won a NC with Della Don, deep tourney runs and maybe a final four but not a NC. teams like Uconn would just double team her all game long and force the other girls to beat them which they would not have been able too. the Nova girls during EDD tenure of college hoops made one tourney, played Utah. and you saw what happened. its not a program ready for the bright lights. NIT is more their speed.

I think Nova is capable of making a pretty deep run in the NCAA right now if they could just get a decent seed, maybe a 7/10 or 6/11. But the powers that be willnot allow the new BE any sort of deference like that.

There are only maybe a handful of teams they would lose to most of the time. With maybe one more player, I think the team could get to the 8s, like DePaul did last year.

Originally posted by novabball2:
Nova would not have won a NC with Della Don, deep tourney runs and maybe a final four but not a NC. teams like Uconn would just double team her all game long and force the other girls to beat them which they would not have been able too. the Nova girls during EDD tenure of college hoops made one tourney, played Utah. and you saw what happened. its not a program ready for the bright lights. NIT is more their speed.
Delle Donne would have been a magnetic pull for Harry to get players. Did you see that Delle Donne led Delaware to the Sweet 16? At Villanova, by her Senior year, Elena would have been surrounded by a different set of players that were at Villanova at the time.

Delle Donne would have been a magnetic pull for Harry to get players. Did you see that Delle Donne led Delaware to the Sweet 16? At Villanova, by her Senior year, Elena would have been surrounded by a different set of players that were at Villanova at the time.
Didn't Muffin from WC and her Leprechan dates wrest the championship from Gino from Norrristown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT