ADVERTISEMENT

Non-athletic LadyCats

whitecat

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2001
I probably have seen as many basketball games as anyone on these boards simply because I am older. But without equivocation, our LadyCats which I saw yesterday on TV have absolutely no athletes. I guess Cane and Sweeney have talent, but they are not going to dazzle anyone with their quickness or athleticism. This was the first time I have seen them this year, and we should have won. But we have no athletes. The accolades about their GPAs and decorum are well deserved, But Harry who recruited these players simply can't compete with so many non-athletic players.

A dead-on analysis Whitecat. What you saw yesterday is what we are this season. Kane played all forty yesterday and had to be dead tired at the end of the game, but she was the absolute only one that was going to be able to take the ball coast to coast to try to win the game. With SFU employing a press the entire game, Harry couldn't risk taking her out to get her a rest. Having Roberts out for the year with a thumb injury didn't help matters but I am not sure she would have made a difference in the outcome. We almost lost a 22 point half-time lead against Seton Hall the same way, totally incapable of handling the full court pressure in the second half and not able to convert many of the few scoring opportunities that we got.

I would suspect that Kane and Sweeney are going to be penciled in as starters next year and all three other positions are totally up for grabs among the returners, tne redshirts and maybe one or two of the incoming recruits.

Terry,

tab has posted about our practice of red-shirting; you know if a freshman is ready when you play him/her. I have a friend from the Philly burbs who knows
hoops; he said the girl from Abington who was redshirted would have helped.

Leer from Abington, would have helped, but not where we need it. She is a good player. Not as good as Sweeney. More of a 3 than going to the post. For a close game against USF, I saw no fire in the belly. There is no leadership on the floor. All plays are called from the bench, taking away any individual thought from the players. Yes, they do look like they eat rather than work out. Tough. tough to watch. I don't even see that much comraderie among the parents. A real shame.

With Scanlon's health a big question coming into the season I wondered whether Harry would play Leer as a true freshman, remembering how poorly Scanlon did her freshman year. When asked about it before the first game of the year, a close insider told me that there were other considerations that determined Leer's R/S status as well as Burford, so apparently they were seriously thinking about it, but couldn't pull it off.

I would think that a lot of players sign on to Nova with the expectation that they will get red-shirted, possibly get a Grad Asst. positon afterwards and get six years and a masters degree out of it for no cost other than putting up with Harry for six years. Players that have done that know that they have gotten a good deal. I imagine that un-reshirting Rachel Roberts midway through last year was a tough decision as it cost her a year of free eduction in return for getting to start against UCONN in her first game. We all know how that turned out.

As a parent, the education would come first with the BB a secondary consideration so on that basis, kudos to the program. After all it is just a game. But trying to put together a winning tradition certainly gets a lot tougher that way.

Have gotten mixed messages on Leer. Some people are really high on her, others luke warm like needatwobaby. Never saw her play myself. A lot of people are impressed by Burford. Time will tell. It certainly seems that both should help out with our abysmal rebounding technique or lack thereof. Did you notice just how many potential rebounds were lost on Saturday? That's how it has been all season.

I have seen Leer play many times.Your wrong, she would not have helped.

Nice girl, good student at Abington High.When we played them our coach was surprized at how slow she was for a Division 1 recruit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT