ADVERTISEMENT

Nova Picked Second In Preseason Big East Poll

JoshNaso

Jul 4, 2016
For the first time in five years, Villanova will not enter the season as the coaches pick to win the conference. The Wildcats were edged out of the top spot in favor of Seton Hall by a single point.

This is purely speculation on my part, but it's possible that Jay Wright cast his vote for the Pirates at the top of the conference while Pirates coach Kevin Willard (intentionally?) put someone besides Nova at the top of his knowing it would be a close race between the two teams at the top of the conference. I don't know Willard, so I can't speak as to whether that type of pettiness or gamesmanship is in him, but it seems a little weird.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, as preseason polls are meaningless and things will ultimately be decided on the court.

As evidence of how open the middle of the conference is this year, teams 3-7 in the poll were separated by just seven points.

After Seton Hall and Nova, the poll went Xavier, a tie between Providence and Marquette, Georgetown, Creighton, Butler, St. John's, and DePaul.

It should be an incredibly fun season in the Big East, and now the Wildcats will have a bit of a chip on their shoulder come conference play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.