ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Temple Trustees.........

Temple is crazy; this "success" they're having in football is temporary. Once Ruhle leaves, they fall back into the gutter. Don't build a stadium you'll rarely if ever fill; even if it only holds 35,000

1. IT is better to be smart like Villanova and take the sports backwards to
  2. irrelevancy.
  3. IGNITE THIS

Nor should we want to. The entire house of cards that is the current arms race in college football is going to be exposed once the TV rights payments start dropping, as they absolutely have to do. Unbundling cable package and cord cutting will force ESPN, FOX, et al. to pull back on these huge rights payments, and all of these schools that are currently stretching hard to keep up will find themselves with a completely unsustainable model. Temple is about to spend $150M (let's be honest on the real cost, too) to be marginally more competitive in the second tier of college football. This in no way makes them attractive to a P5 conference, and only condemns them to spending more money in futile attempts to become so.

Villanovans should applaud this move, as it locks Temple into mediocrity--at best--forever.

The irony of the situation is if they want to play big time schools like Penn State and Notre Dame, they are probably going to have to use the Linc. I don't think that either of them would come to a 35 seat stadium.

Such short-sightedness in this thread. This is why the Big East collapsed. Google schools in the ACC, Big10, and even the SEC. Look at how large their original stadiums were. Some current P5 members aren't even drawing 40k now.

Temple, more than any other program in the country, has elevated them to the "next one up" when the inevitable next realignment stage happens.

I hope that you are right though and this fails. I think that's what we're hoping for and not the reality. A few years ago, Temple football was irrelevant and a joke. That impression has changed already.

Such short-sightedness in this thread. This is why the Big East collapsed. Google schools in the ACC, Big10, and even the SEC. Look at how large their original stadiums were. Some current P5 members aren't even drawing 40k now.

Temple, more than any other program in the country, has elevated them to the "next one up" when the inevitable next realignment stage happens.

I hope that you are right though and this fails. I think that's what we're hoping for and not the reality. A few years ago, Temple football was irrelevant and a joke. That impression has changed already.

when the true "big boy" programs fraction off further - they will not be looking to include Temple in their plans. This is a case of just pissing away money.

The distance between "not a joke" and SEC programs is the freakin' Grand Canyon. The size of Georgia's first stadium is completely irrelevant. Temple's decision might have made sense in 1990, but the times have changed. The big boy club is closed to new members, and that particular club is going to come back to earth here, regardless. The bubble is bursting.

Reactions: NovaUSMC01
The migration to a playoff system will infuse the Power Conferences with enough money to keep up the arms race for at least another decade. They are pro programs who pay pro money to one guy each (the head coach). The student athletes come cheaply enough. Maybe some profligates (Maryland, Rutgers) will have to learn to operate within a budget, but most will continue to feast on their state taxpayers for some time to come. Temple is very late to the party, but overall, a home field is a step in the right direction. The Linc situation was going nowhere. That's what DC would do.

If past is prologue, those big programs will keep spending and spending as new revenues come in. Schools like Temple will have to spend to keep pace, despite the fact they have a tiny fraction of the revenue. The G5 schools are going to have some real soul searching to do in the coming years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT