ADVERTISEMENT

Phils trade Giles........

Giles is a BEAST, young, cheap and under team control. The return BETTER be good. Velazquez is a big time prospect so he needs to pan out. Oberholtzer is a decent back of the rotation guy, 25 or 26 yrs old. Fisher is a power hitting corner outfielder taken in the 1st round last year. He's years away but promising. I would say the move to the AL will hurt Giles but he throws so damn hard they have to catch up to his stuff first in order to hit it someplace.

Pretty old and past his prime

tn_giles.jpg

Not liking the headline prospect, already has a TJ surgery in his file, not coming back from it Harvey or even Strasburg style based on the numbers. For a stud like Giles on whom teams like KC build their bullpens, seems like they are outsmarting themselves here. Haven't read up on any of the other prospects, but this seems like not a great haul for a guy with many years of club control left.

The idea that we'll just find some bullpen arms later if we improve seems shortsighted. You need a couple studs, at least. Again, look at KC. Or on the flip side look at the Nationals last year. Phils' history in early-mid 2000s supports this -- that team would've been in the playoffs before 2007 if it had a decent 'pen, instead had washed up Jose Mesa, Turk Wendell types.

Doesn't seem like an adequate return.

I get that -- and I was ok with the Hamels deal because I thought the return was fair. It's about the return to me. I'm not blown away by the headliner. Maybe the other guys are/will be great.

But just restocking the farm system is not enough -- we got $hit in deals for Lee, Victorino and Pence. Hopefully the scouting is different this time.

In a shocking development Mark Appel has been named the 4th player in the Giles deal. That is unreal and stunning. Now that's a good deal for the Phils. Appel was the #1 overall pick in the 2013 draft.

In a shocking development Mark Appel has been named the 4th player in the Giles deal. That is unreal and stunning. Now that's a good deal for the Phils. Appel was the #1 overall pick in the 2013 draft.

Appel hasn't exactly lit the world on fire since the draft. The OF prospect, Fisher, originally in the deal was pulled back for Appel so I'd say it's a wash.

Appel has electric stuff and a major pedigree that he hasn't harnessed yet. He was still the Astros #2 ranked prospect behind Velazquez. Fisher was backend top 10.

Sometimes all guys like Appel need is a new scenery, new start and new coaches. Think Arrieta. He's got the stuff for sure. Obviously. He was #1 overall pick 2 yrs ago.

Phillies hire a new GM, he can't sit idle, but has to make his mark on the team whether the components in the deal provide much value.
Loading up on mediocre players makes news but little else.

Appel has electric stuff and a major pedigree that he hasn't harnessed yet. He was still the Astros #2 ranked prospect behind Velazquez. Fisher was backend top 10.

Sometimes all guys like Appel need is a new scenery, new start and new coaches. Think Arrieta. He's got the stuff for sure. Obviously. He was #1 overall pick 2 yrs ago.
Agreed, Philly is where everyone wants to go.

God you suck. Just effing awful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT