ADVERTISEMENT

rainierland.com

NovaTras22

VUSports.com All-American
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2005
anyone see this? guy at work told me about it a few weeks ago and i figured it'd be down soon, but it's still going strong. no idea how.

There are 50 sites just like this that have been around for years.

This is a good one to stream from your phone, tho. Quick load times. No lag.

Used this to watch The Martian, Big Short, Room, Steve Jobs and Spotlight over the weekend. It works really well with AppleTV AirPlay. I guess now I sit back and wait for the warning letters from Fios.

Used this to watch The Martian, Big Short, Room, Steve Jobs and Spotlight over the weekend. It works really well with AppleTV AirPlay. I guess now I sit back and wait for the warning letters from Fios.
Is that how it happens or will they just nail you to it?

It's never on the user for watching these videos. They nail the website admins who load them and distribute them. Not the viewers. Nothing can or will happen to you.

Years ago, I used BitTorrent to download a couple movies on my wife's computer. A few weeks later, she got a letter from Time Warner saying that they had been notified by the copyright owner of one of the movies identifying her IP address as having downloaded a pirated movie. They said that if she continued to download pirated movies, they would have no choice but to release her contact info to the movie studio. Some quick research on the matter showed that at the time ISPs would give you three strikes then terminate your service. I'm not sure if they ever actually release your info to the studio.

Now, the difference between streaming sites (like rainierland) and BitTorrent is that on BT, every downloader is also a seeder so they can argue that you are not just downloading the movie, but also distributing copyrighted materials to other users. Not sure it matters, but it might.

Besides liability to the owners, Fios has other reasons to prevent you from watching pirated movies. Primarily, they don't want you watching for free what you should be buying on Fios On Demand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT