ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Brunson on Temple and Jalen

gfecte01

VUSports.com Addict
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2001
Cranston, RI
From today's Chicago Tribune article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-rick-brunson-spt-0726-20150725-story.html

"And, for the first time, he emphatically denied his son was headed to Temple with him as a package deal.

Brunson said the job he discussed with Temple coach Fran Dunphy was a non-bench role, which, by NCAA law, would have prohibited his son from joining until two years after graduation.

"My son always wanted to go to Villanova," Brunson said. "Nobody understands this. He never, ever wanted to go to Temple with me. I've never coached him at any level. Would I have wanted him to play for me at Temple? Of course. Would it have been right as a family? You're damn right. But would it have been wrong for him? Yes.

"I have a lot of love and respect for Fran Dunphy because he understood that I couldn't force my son to go to Temple. It was a long shot for him to go there. Jalen wanted to have a chance to play in a Final Four. Of all the schools that recruited him, he felt Villanova has the best shot of playing in a Final Four this coming season."

Brunson is looking for brighter days ahead, for Jalen at Villanova and for him at points unknown. He is seeking new coaching opportunities.

"I'm tired of people putting an 18-year-old kid in my BS," he said. "This is a kid who doesn't get paid to play basketball. He doesn't deserve to be written about in a negative light of his father. A woman lied. We fought it and did it the right way in a court of law.

"We raised Jalen the right way. He didn't react to anything and did a great job handling this with dignity. None of this is going to break him or us."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.