ADVERTISEMENT

Sacrifices these families make for their sons

TRIP4VU

VUSports.com All-American
Jul 11, 2001
I just read the Mike Jenson article on Kris Jenkins and his mom. What an amazing person she appears to be. The part of the article I find most disturbing and actually makes me a little sad is that she had to work in her job at the Amazon distribution center where she couldn't even have her cell phone during the KU game. Can you imagine if that were one of us? I can't even imagine having to work on a Saturday night and missing a Regional Final that our beloved Villanova was playing, but how about if it were your son???

This also reminds me of another story I heard about one of the other key players on this team. I won't name him, but his father drove from the East Coast on Thursday to Louisville for the Miami game, then went home after the game because he had to work of Friday!!!!!! I asked the person who knew this, "Well, why didn't he just take the day off and stay?" To which this person replied, "He can't, he needs the money." I had totally forgotten that many of these parents aren't paid a salary, rather they're paid by the hour. It hadn't occured to me.

As great as this run is for us, I am reminded how many of us are blessed to be able to see our beloved Cats in the Dance. I know many can't, but at least we're not missing our own child's huge game or driving 9+ hours each way (within 24 hour period) to make a game, then do it again a day later.

It strikes that the NCAA needs to do something to offset the money lost for these parents when they want to see their son play - as they should!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News