ADVERTISEMENT

Strong and Clear Counseling For Athletes

vuscratch

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Mar 19, 2007
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...arrested-sex-assault-charge-article-1.2600191

What a shame! I've met Oakman before. He played basketball and football at Pennwood HS. He also assisted his high school coach, Clyde Jones, at Philly Point Guard basketball camps held in several location in the Philly area. Mark Perner, a Philly area sports writer, was a co sponsor of these camps. The former Univ. of DE coach, Monte Ross, also was involved in these camps. Oakman had some issues at PSU but seemed to have gotten past those. He had a stellar football career at Baylor, breaking their all time sack record. Now, just before the NFL Draft, he gets charged with sexual assault. Somebody has to counsel these kids about keeping their nose clean.

Oakman allegedly walked home with a women he met at a bar that evening. She left the bar with him consensually. She went into his apartment with him consensually. She went into his bedroom with him consensually BUT, according to her, she did not engage in sex with him consensually. In times past, if a woman had consensually gone into a guys bedroom when both of them had been drinking and they otherwise didn't know each other, the likelihood of her prevailing in a sexual assault charge would be low.

Things have changed! Moreover, a guy in Oakman's position can't even afford to have the allegation made against him, especially in the week leading up to the Draft since even if charges are dropped AFTER THE DRAFT or he is found not guilty AFTER THE DRAFT, his career may be over. In the least, it will have been set back very significantly. Someone needs to be very clearly and regularly counseling these guys about what is not only illegal but also about what is imprudent! I am not here to judge whether or not this woman was sexually assaulted or not. I am commenting solely on the stupidity of players getting themselves into positions where they may get charged with sexual assault, rightly or wrongly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News