ADVERTISEMENT

Taking Ques: CoP Sports Edition

wcburrs87

Post 'Til Your Fingers Bleed
Jul 28, 2004
We'll use this thread to clear the air. Asked me anything you want about CoP sports I will provide an honest answer. I'll defend some and criticize others. This way it's here for all to see. Too many posters make assumptions and conveniently choose to ignore when I'm critical of a CoP player or team.

Now, have at it...

does cole hamels have any trade value considering his contract? if so why hasnt he been traded yet?

why do eagles fans love Buddy Ryan, he has 0 playoff wins as an eagles head coach. the play off win vs NO was Rich Kottites first year.

I am a Yankees fan, don't really care about the Mets because to compare the 2 teams is like comparing a Pinto to a Porsche, but do Phillies fans consider the Mets their biggest rivals?

Name 5 teams and years in the past 20 years that would beat the 2008 Phillies in the WS.

I'd have to think about that. I don't remember all of the other teams. With that said, most teams that make WS are pretty good and in a 7-game series in sure most of them were capable of beatin the Phillies of '08. Sort of splitting hairs and a bounce or two is usually what separates these teams. Best team doesn't always win in baseball. Meaning the best RS team doesn't always win.

Do you believe in what Chip Kelly is building? Does culture really beat scheme?

Why do you really think DeSean was cut?

does cole hamels have any trade value considering his contract? if so why hasnt he been traded yet?

why do eagles fans love Buddy Ryan, he has 0 playoff wins as an eagles head coach. the play off win vs NO was Rich Kottites first year.

Yes, his contract is friendly when considering where things are headed with pitchers these days. Because this how these things tend to play out. As the deadline nears both sides are capable of getting antsy. Until the witching hour no need for either side to cave in demands or what they want to give up.

I believe I mentioned Buddy Ryan in that things you'll defend thread. As far as Eagles' fans overrating him. So, I agree with you.

Initially, I think they loved the defense he built and that was fair because that unit was great, but as a team they never reached potential because Ryan ignored the offense. A lot of fans ignore that and it's wrong. Ryan gets far too much credit for being some sort of great coach.

Intellect has a lot to do with it. They appreciated his barbaric ways in how he went about things at times.

If Buddy Ryan went to Eagles' games then he sit in the 700 level.

I am a Yankees fan, don't really care about the Mets because to compare the 2 teams is like comparing a Pinto to a Porsche, but do Phillies fans consider the Mets their biggest rivals?

I'm not sure. Maybe. I think proximity to New York plays a part with that. I mean FLA and WAS haven't been around that long relatively speaking. Atlanta has, but they're in the south. A lot Of greasy Mets' fans would infiltrate the Vet when they were good. Animosity would ensue, I guess.

Do you believe in what Chip Kelly is building? Does culture really beat scheme?

Why do you really think DeSean was cut?

I think Chio Kelly is a good coach. I think solid culture really helps, butvatvthe end of the day talent wins out.

I think DeSean being cut was 50/50 on half being culture aspect and the other financial/type of WR (small).

I'd have to think about that. I don't remember all of the other teams. With that said, most teams that make WS are pretty good and in a 7-game series in sure most of them were capable of beatin the Phillies of '08. Sort of splitting hairs and a bounce or two is usually what separates these teams. Best team doesn't always win in baseball. Meaning the best RS team doesn't always win.

Worst answer in a TQ thread ive ever seen.

maxresdefault.jpg

How come the 93 Phillies are so beloved when 90% of the team were on steroids?

Because they won and weren't expected, too.

I think they played hard and that appealed to most. The blue collar aspect to the team.

I don't think most people care about steroids, especially then when it wasn't outlawed.

All Burrs is saying is basically the Phillies got lucky and any team could have beaten the 2008 CoPhillies.

No, I think the Phillies were good and deserving. Luck runs rampant in baseball. In a 7-game series one tea might experience more of it than the other and often that's the difference.

I can't possibly tell you which other WS champs of the past 20 years they could or couldn't be. It would be a stupid exercise.

No, I think the Phillies were good and deserving. Luck runs rampant in baseball. In a 7-game series one tea might experience more of it than the other and often that's the difference.

I can't possibly tell you which other WS champs of the past 20 years they could or couldn't be. It would be a stupid exercise.

Let's not forget that Phillies team was 11-3 that postseason.

Intellect has a lot to do with it. They appreciated his barbaric ways in how he went about things at times.

If Buddy Ryan went to Eagles' games then he sit in the 700 level.

that may be the smartest thing any CoP sports fan ever said.

Re: 93 phillies.
basically when its our team its ok. when its another team winning with juice its wrong.

the 08 Phils had an incredible line up and a great bull pen that year. the starters were avg. they could outhit any team in the league and had an 8th and 9th inning guy who were lights out.

Do you feel the Phillies under-achieved by only winning one title during their run?

Re: 93 phillies.
basically when its our team its ok. when its another team winning with juice its wrong.

I doubt they were the only team doing it. I really don't think people in general care about that part of it. When it was happening no one was talking about it. No one gave a crap about this stuff in the 90's.

why do you bother with the 76ers? they remind me of the dave littlefield era pittsburgh pirates. the gm is a moron with a craptastic idea of how to run a team

Do you feel the Phillies under-achieved by only winning one title during their run?

Underachieved? Gun to my head? Yes.

Titles don't grow on trees and winning one is special. You can't discount that.

With that said, for as good Hamels was in '08 he definitely underachieved the following year and more than likely cost them back-to-back. The Yankees were good, tho.

Plus, losing in '10 and '11 was disappointing.

why do you bother with the 76ers? they remind me of the dave littlefield era pittsburgh pirates. the gm is a moron with a craptastic idea of how to run a team

Because it's embedded in me. I like basketball. When you're a fan of a team you're there for the highs and lows. Full knowing the lows will always be more prevalent than the highs.

I don't think he's a moron. You can disagree with his methods or think that ultimately it fails. That's fine. But he's not moron. The easy thing to do is say something won't work because the odds are in your favor. Only four teams in professional sports win titles in a given year. A lot of losers out there. I happen to agree with many of his methods and willing to let this play out.

What's the best Philly sporting event that you've attended and why (not talking high school or the Wing Bowl, talking the major four professional teams).

Hamels was 14-10 in 08 with a 3.09 ERA with 2 CGs in 33 starts. he was awesome in the post season

1-0 vs Brewers
2-0 LAD
1-0 tampa

other than that he has been vastly overrated in a phillies uniform.

3-4 in non 08 playoff years. and is 113 -90 as a starter since his debut in 06.

On a scale of 1 to 100, rate Jimmy Rollins' defense. What would your average baseball fan rate his defense as?

Describe Pat Burrell's swing in one word.

In his NFL career, how many times did McNabb puke between the start of a game and the final whistle?

Second best 76er of the Billy King era?

Over/Under/Properly:
Dei Lynam
Tra Thomas
Jim Lynam
SJUPA's point shaving scandal
Fran Dunphy's recruiting
Sean Consedine

What's the best Philly sporting event that you've attended and why (not talking high school or the Wing Bowl, talking the major four professional teams).

I've never been to the Wing Bowl. Glad we cleared that up.

For as much as I enjoy sports I'm not really a big on going to games. If I'm not at home watching, then I prefer to go out and watch the games with friends. Now, I've been to a lot games over the years, but not too many "big" ones.

The Phillies game vs MIL when Victorino hit the salami stands out.

A cool one was Lindtos first game (may have been preseason) vs the Devils. He scored on a semi breakaway.

Saw AI go off a few times.

A couple of Eagles playoff games.

Hamels was 14-10 in 08 with a 3.09 ERA with 2 CGs in 33 starts. he was awesome in the post season

1-0 vs Brewers
2-0 LAD
1-0 tampa

other than that he has been vastly overrated in a phillies uniform.

3-4 in non 08 playoff years. and is 113 -90 as a starter since his debut in 06.
For whatever reason, Hamels had a crappy '09 from start to finish. He has been solid the rest of his career, postseason included.

Are you concerned about the fact Hamels has thrown up two stinkers right before the deadline and could lead to you having to eat more crow as the Phillies are unable to make a deal?

Did you enjoy the run-on sentence?

For whatever reason, Hamels had a crappy '09 from start to finish. He has been solid the rest of his career, postseason included.
Yeah novaball is a schmuck. Hamels has been a damn good starter his whole career. He may not be Tier 1 with the likes of Halladay, Lee, Kershaw, Hernandez etc since his career began - but he is 1A.

On a scale of 1 to 100, rate Jimmy Rollins' defense. What would your average baseball fan rate his defense as?

Describe Pat Burrell's swing in one word.

In his NFL career, how many times did McNabb puke between the start of a game and the final whistle?

Second best 76er of the Billy King era?

Over/Under/Properly:
Dei Lynam
Tra Thomas
Jim Lynam
SJUPA's point shaving scandal
Fran Dunphy's recruiting
Sean Consedine

1. 90 & 75 (clueless)
2. Vs Benetiz - majestic; rest of baseball hit or miss.
3. No clue
4. Igoudala (Was AI part of King?)

1. Over - worst female dresser ever.
2. Under - very good player
3. Over - "Can't teach size"
4. Unfamiliar
5. Properly - not an easy sell
6. Properly - just another dude

Has anybody ever gotten more mileage out of a single week of work than Tyronn Lue and his week of guarding AI?

Worst Big 5 PoY of last 15 years? Jaaber?

Best non-TO Eagles WR from 1999 - 2008?

How many days this week did you wear your Soul jersey?

Over/Under/Properly:
Lacrosse
the Vet
Temple Football
Mardy Collins
David Hawkins
Archidiacono
John Gianini
the Blue Horizon
Ron Rollerson
Mustafa Shakur

Are you concerned about the fact Hamels has thrown up two stinkers right before the deadline and could lead to you having to eat more crow as the Phillies are unable to make a deal?

Did you enjoy the run-on sentence?

No. Velocity is still there. More concerned that a few teams who I thought would be in it aren't. I still believe that if a fair offer is out there, then they'll move him. If not, then keep him. Like I always stated.

What? Are you editing my responses now? I'm typing this on a phone as Baby Burrs #2 sleeps on me. One, lighten up. Two, don't be that guy.

2. Vs Benetiz - majestic; rest of baseball hit or miss.

Burrell's top victims:
Benitez- 4 for 11, 3 HR
Suppan - 11 for 23, 4HR
Prior - 6 for 14, 3 HR

Guys who owned him:
Pedro - 1 for 26, 11K
Big Unit - 4 for 25, 15K
Beckett - 10 for 52
Smoltz - 3 for 27
Hampton - 7 for 37
Timlin - 1 for 11, 8K
David Weathers - 3 for 22
Jason Bere - 0 for 13, 8K
Scott Williamson - 0 for 5, 5K

Burrell's top victims:
Benitez- 4 for 11, 3 HR
Suppan - 11 for 23, 4HR
Prior - 6 for 14, 3 HR

Guys who owned him:
Pedro - 1 for 26, 11K
Big Unit - 4 for 25, 15K
Beckett - 10 for 52
Smoltz - 3 for 27
Hampton - 7 for 37
Timlin - 1 for 11, 8K
David Weathers - 3 for 22
Jason Bere - 0 for 13, 8K
Scott Williamson - 0 for 5, 5K
What about that rat Billy Wagner?

Has anybody ever gotten more mileage out of a single week of work than Tyronn Lue and his week of guarding AI?

Worst Big 5 PoY of last 15 years? Jaaber?

Best non-TO Eagles WR from 1999 - 2008?

How many days this week did you wear your Soul jersey?

Over/Under/Properly:
Lacrosse
the Vet
Temple Football
Mardy Collins
David Hawkins
Archidiacono
John Gianini
the Blue Horizon
Ron Rollerson
Mustafa Shakur

1. Not sure.
2. Probably, maybe Rosen
3. Kevin Curtis, but I think DeSean played in '08.
4. Zero

1. Proper
2. Under
3. Over (by TU fans) no one else cares
4. Under....Overachieved
5. Over.....underachieved
6. Proper
7. Over
8. Over (but not sure)
9. Not rated
10. Over, never lived up to expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT