ADVERTISEMENT

Terry's Terrors Topple Dusty's Doormats

FreddyShoop

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2001
320x220_kids_mrmet5.jpg

Reactions: NickleDimer
Believe it was the 6th where Syndergard struck out Harper on the nastiest 3-2, 92 MPH change that was one of the nastiest pitches I've seen this year. That kid is an absolute stud. Going to be a fun two weeks.

Uh oh. David wright "back watch" is officially on for 2016. Late scratch yesterday.

I always ripped on David Wright just to break balls on here, but I have always liked him as a player. Not a HOF but he was a good to very good player throughout his career. He always played hard.

Burrs, he's not close to HOF status. He pretty much had to get at least 6 more years of the kind of production he had between ages 23-30 get into the HOF. At this point he's done next to nothing after that (3+ years in now), so his chances are nil. Also, watching him play (when he has) the last two years, he's totally done, he needs to call of the dogs. His offense is next to nothing and his defense is now in negative territory. His only current plus is OBP, and that's offset by no power, no average and poor defense. Basically, he's Ryan Howard at the other corner at this point. Time to retire.

Burrs, he's not close to HOF status. He pretty much had to get at least 6 more years of the kind of production he had between ages 23-30 get into the HOF. At this point he's done next to nothing after that (3+ years in now), so his chances are nil. Also, watching him play (when he has) the last two years, he's totally done, he needs to call of the dogs. His offense is next to nothing and his defense is now in negative territory. His only current plus is OBP, and that's offset by no power, no average and poor defense. Basically, he's Ryan Howard at the other corner at this point. Time to retire.
Ryan Howard without the hardware and ring you mean, right?

Talking about now in the comparison. They are both negative net contributors at this point. They both had nice (non-HOF) careers but their careers are over and it's time for them to move on. They both seem like nice guys as well. Cap tip, nice career fella, always liked the way you played, I remember the good days. But it's time to go to broadcasting or coaching. Probably up to the teams to cut them. The teams need to pay the rest of the contracts and no reason to volunteer that away. More for Wright than for Howard at this point, but still noise at the current payrolls.

I always ripped on David Wright just to break balls on here, but I have always liked him as a player. Not a HOF but he was a good to very good player throughout his career. He always played hard.

Agree. Really good player.

Umm, he's not in Howard depths at this point.

Agree on HOF, but I was once told otherwise. Specifically, that if more good years came then he'd probably get in.

Everyone making fun of the nats and Rizzo for shutting down Strasburg, see matt harvey. This is why you have innings limits after tj.

Everyone making fun of the nats and Rizzo for shutting down Strasburg, see matt harvey. This is why you have innings limits after tj.

So, those extra 30 innings Harvey threw last year compared to SS in '13 is why Harvey is struggling so far this year? Could be a stretch. Not sure this can be proven.

Meanwhile, David Murphy has turned into Wade Boggs. On pace for 241 hits. Ha

So, those extra 30 innings Harvey threw last year compared to SS in '13 is why Harvey is struggling so far this year? Could be a stretch. Not sure this can be proven.
Strasburg just signed a team friendly deal and Harvey has issues. Go Rizzo, go Rizzo.

Can it really be called team friendly when he had to get a new laminated wallet card?

That's a Matt Harvey fastball. Hit the showers.

Strasburg just signed a team friendly deal and Harvey has issues. Go Rizzo, go Rizzo.

Matt Harvey has actually pitched in the WS and Strasburg hasn't.

And don't be counting your chickens before their hatched just yet. A Strasburg issue is only a pitch away.

I love the deal. You get his 28-30 years and he's out before he gets old. Given his recent leeformance should be his peak years. My bigger fear would be he gets hurt and nats on the hook for the entire 7 year deal. If he's doing great and he loves DC still, he could opt out and resign for even more years and money but I would be very weary to do that deal. See sabathia. Although he had a lot more wear and tear at the same stage.

So full of shit. So if he signed a 7 year deal with no outs, you'd hate the deal because you'd be paying for his declining years?

Wouldn't hate it but wouldn't like it as much. I'm not a huge fan of giving pitchers into their 30's long term deals. You ate bound to get a few stinkers and could be stuck with a sabathia like deal. Look at the Scherzer deal. Don't love the last few years of that deal. You hope it works but there is a decent chance two of the ose back end years are not great. I wasn't a fan of extending Strasburg. Didn't think there was any way. If nats get 4 years and he opts out great. It was a good deal for both sides. He gets his guaranteed money but if he's pitching well no way he opts in to those last few years. He'll go for another 5-7 year deal that takes into past his mid-30s. I wouldn't want to be the team paying that deal. History has spoken in those deals and it's not pretty.

The first Sabbathia deal was fine. Extending it midway through when he was already showing signs of decline was the killer.

Agree, it was an opt out like the starsburg deal and they resigned him to another 7 year deal. This deal is very similar to the the first sabathia deal.

A year ago at this time Stasburg's ERA was in the 9's I believe. He was terrible. Bit soon to write off Harvey coming off TJ. Yes, too soon to tell.

At the game, in front of me two guys in batman masks. Weirdos.

Terry Collins should have requested the umps confiscate Murphy's bat. That thing is clearly corked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT