ADVERTISEMENT

The Defense

novaclassof90

VUSports.com Legend
Jun 10, 2002
This is the area of the team that is carrying it. Which really surprises me. I thought losing Ennis and Hilliard would really hurt us on defense. But a very good case can be made that this team is playing better D than last year's team. But why????

1. I think DO is more of a force in the middle this year and his mobility has improved. Getting more rebounds outside of his immediate area.
2. I think KJ is a step up at the 4 vs. JVP last year. Most teams are now playing with a stretch 4. KJ can guard the stretch 4 better than JVP could. KJ can also still hold his own down on the post vs. most 4s we see.
3. Hart is the swiss army knife on D. The guy can guard anyone from the 1 thru 4, similar to Foye but bigger than Foye. He really gives us a lot of flexibility on D. Making better use of that skill this year.
4. Bridges - At times this year, Jay has made his the stopper on the other team's best guard and he has done a great job of it. He has checked guys like Kris Dunn and held his own. It will be interesting to see if Jay puts him on Miles Davis next week, that guy is playing great right now. Triple double last night. Bridges' length is a major defensive asset.
5. Jay has slowed the pace down. We are not looking to run as much off of opposition misses. All 5 guys are hitting the glass, none are cheating and trying to leak out for a bucket.
6. Shorter shot clock has also helped out. Easier to play 30 sec. of D w/ no breakdowns than it is 35. True of all teams, but we seemed to really benefit from this, especially when we use 3/4 court press and teams take 8-10 sec. to get into their offense. By that point, they only have 20 sec to get a good shot.
7. Arch has stepped up his defense.
8. At times, and it shocks me to write this, the 2-3 zone which is now more of a matchup 2-3 a la Rollie has been effective in throwing a little curveball to the other team. Do not want to see it in long stretches, but it is a nice change of pace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News