ADVERTISEMENT

UFC

I don't follow UFC but I am aware of McGregor. He gets a lot of press being so nuts. It's interesting that there is an Irish UFC champ and an Irish tinker is the heavyweight boxing champ. That's surprising for such a small country.

Isn't UFC a team in the American Athletic Conference???o_O............

$_35.JPG

betonline.ag opens McGregor as -165 vs Jersey's Frankie Edgar (+145)

Not surprising. Was at the McGregor - Mendes fight in July.

MGM was overrun with crazy Irish fans. Their shenanigans were extremely entertaining to witness. Security had no idea what to do.

2016 is all set for the UFC.

Cruz/Dillashaw in January.

Jon Jones can come back in the Spring as a heavyweight (his whole family is big) and have some fun.

In the summer, McGregor can either defend vs. Edgar or whomever or lose to Aldo, then schedule a rubber match in 2017. Or just send him to the garbage lightweight division.

They can do some dumb crap with the women's division.

Jones will return as LHW chief. He'll get his belt back, then vacate soon after and move to HW. MAYBE he sticks around to fight Rumble and rematch with Gus. After that, there in no one else left to fight.

I get that he'll likely do that, but what's the point (other than $)? He's already cleaned out the division. If Rumble can't beat Cormier, he shouldn't even get a shot at Jones.

Rumble has one thing the other don't - devastating power. Perhaps the hardest puncher in the business. Even though he most likely gets waxed, I'd still like to see it. JBJ beats him, then the division is cleaned out.

Of course a Gus rematch (if Gus makes a run) is intriguing since the swede was a cnt hair away from beating Bones.

But yea, with all the heavy weight training I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up after the DC fight.

Your stock went up a point with your UFC talk btw.

No one beats Jones. At any weight. Agree he fights Rumble after he beats Cormier.

Lightweight division is meh but from a Conor angle I think Pettis and RDA can beat him. They're bigger guys than the runts he's crushing at 145. Better equipped to take his power as well as grapple with him. That said I want to see Edgar get his shot first. He's got the intangibles to beat Conor. Wrestling. Heart. Chin. Cardio. I do think Conor can hurt him and probably would at some point in the fight but Edgar is a very smart fighter and would take that fight to the ground immediately in every round. Seeing how easy Mendes took McG down before gassing I have my doubts he can stop Frankie's wrestling. Unlike Mendes, Edgar won't gas. Ever.

It's a shame that Jones has been dicking around and missing on his prime.

Will be interesting to see how they coordinate Conor/Edgar/Aldo. They can get a lot of mileage out of those studs.

What's thre story with Weidman now?

It's a shame that Jones has been dicking around and missing on his prime.

Will be interesting to see how they coordinate Conor/Edgar/Aldo. They can get a lot of mileage out of those studs.

What's thre story with Weidman now?

Rockhold will probably fight Yoel Gay Jesus Romero next. And beat him up badly once Romero gasses in the 2nd round. Middleweight division blows. There's no competition for Luke. After he beats Romero he will fight Weidman again. I think he's too big and athletic for Weidman but Weidman has by far the best chance of beating him in the division. Rockhold is a stud everywhere - thats the problem for anyone facing him. There's no point in seeing Luke vs Cheator off the sauce. Everyone knows its a squash match but it's still marketable I suppose.

Rockhold will eventually move up to light heavyweight but pretty sure it's not gonna be until Jones leaves the division. Rockhold cant beat him. He knows it. Rockhold vs the guys at light heavy like Gusto and Rumble are really awesome fights. Obviously he will never fight Cormier tho,

Not sure Jones beats everyone at HW. Dudes are a lot bigger and hit a lot harder there obviously. Jones is a great fighter, but his size vs other LHW is without a doubt his biggest asset. He wont be able to toss HW nearly as easy.

Can he outwrestle Cain and/or keep up with his non-stop pace? (Yes I know Cain looked horrible in Mexico City; I'm throwing out that performance)

Can he get Werdum down? If so, have fun with his BJJ. Werdum is long as well and his stand-up is much improved.

dos Santos is not the fighter he used to be, but still hits hard. Who knows how Jones responds to getting punched by a 240 pounder with one-punch KO power. If Jones cant take the fight to the ground or against the cage for 25 minutes, have fun trading punches.

Conor...

Needs to fight Edgar next. Frankie deserves it. Agree with G-dog's analysis 100% of that match-up. Aldo needs to wait. No auto-rematch. Sorry. He got beat in 13 seconds... not a controversial decision... not a back and forth classic... he fell prey to Mac's mind games. Also, if he gets the rematch, this division will be tied up with these two for far too long considering their first fight got canceled (Aldo's fault). Can't tie it up with these two for another 6-8 months while risking another Aldo cancelation.

Just can't see Conor moving up yet. UFC doesn't want a two-class champ. I think he beats Pettis. dos Anjos? I don't think so. Wish Khabib would get healthy - he'd maul Conor and every other LW.

Yup, Romero should fight Rockhold next - no brainer. Weidman fights Jacare for the next shot. Nobody else comes close.

Eventually, both Rockhold and Weidman move up. Like diddy said, once Bones moves up. Thankfully Weidman's loss put to rest his nonsensical talk of a super fight with Jones.

Fair points about Jones moving up. Would like to see him do it now at 28 rather than in a few years as he slides off his prime.

Edgar/Connor has to be next. If Frankie wins (handily?), you can ride Edgar/Aldo/McGregor trio for a few years.

Jones will be fine for many more years to come; as long as he doesn't OD, end up in jail, etc. Dude's not even at his peak yet.

Get belt back... beat Rumble... if Gus is winning, rematch... move up. This would all happen by mid-2017.

Thing is, not like there are a lot of great fights waiting for him at HW. So if he moves up too soon, he has a few good fights, then what? Outside the top 4, the division is bad.

Handily? Frankie already the underdog vs Mac. Like the value on Edgar.

Ah gotcha.

Agreed on not easy being able to avoid the heavy hand. But as g-dog pointed out, Mendes was gassed. He was gassed at the end of the 1st Rd actually. Still got him down easy in the 2nd, but was gassing big time - throwing a punch every 30 seconds instead of constant ground and pound. After Mac got back up, Mendes had nothing left.... hands down at side... standing flat footed. Easy KO for Mac.

Frankie aint gassing. Never. Maybe the best cardio in the sport besides Guida. Great foot movement too. Wont be a standing target. Mac the rightful favorite, but Frankie is his toughest match-up. Can't see Frankie getting psyched-out either like Aldo.

PS UFC knows Frankie a tough match-up for Mac. Can't take anything away from the Irish, but he had an easy road to the belt, fighting top-15 striker types. The first and only wrestler was Mendes on two weeks notice. Frankie should have gotten that fight in July, not Mendes. UFC didn't want him to fight wrestlers like Frankie.

I don't follow UFC. How often do these guys fight? Seems to be more frequent than top tier boxers but curious to understand.

Nope, Mendes cardio doesn't always suck. His 5-rounder with Aldo in 2014 was a war. 5 rounds of non-stop action. Best fight of 2014. Doesn't have Edgar's gas tank, but much better than he displayed in July. Dude doesn't train hard during his off-season. Likes to go hunting and have fun supposedly. Not one of those guys who is in the gym 365 days a year.

Depends ADP. Some dudes twice. Some guys up to four. Cowboy Cerrone fighting for the LW belt this Saturday. Guy finally took a break after earning his title shot in May. Fought 4 times in 2013... four times in 2014... twice this past January then in May.

Average I'd say is 3???

Also, there are a lot more injuries in MMA compared to boxing. So that makes some fighters fight less as they pull out often (Aldo). However, other guys fight more as they step up as late replacements (Cerrone).

Nope, Mendes cardio doesn't always suck. His 5-rounder with Aldo in 2014 was a war. 5 rounds of non-stop action. Best fight of 2014. Doesn't have Edgar's gas tank, but much better than he displayed in July. Dude doesn't train hard during his off-season. Likes to go hunting and have fun supposedly. Not one of those guys who is in the gym 365 days a year.

Depends ADP. Some dudes twice. Some guys up to four. Cowboy Cerrone fighting for the LW belt this Saturday. Guy finally took a break after earning his title shot in May. Fought 4 times in 2013... four times in 2014... twice this past January then in May.

Average I'd say is 3???

Also, there are a lot more injuries in MMA compared to boxing. So that makes some fighters fight less as they pull out often (Aldo). However, other guys fight more as they step up as late replacements (Cerrone).
Interesting, what kind of money do these make per fight? Obviously I'm sure it varies.

Varies big time. The bottom dudes like 8K to show another 8K for a win. Mid tier guys like 50 and 50.Top guys like 500K I think.

HOWEVER...

Lots of other bonuses. "Fight of the Night" will get you $50K. "Performance of the Night" (usually an entertaining KO) wil get $50K.

Top people also get PPV points. Rousey made like $10M for her last fight. Im sure Conor approaching that too.

Supposedly a lot of "backroom bonuses" too that no one talks about.

Where the fighters have gotten royally screwed is their sponsorships. Now that they wear Reebok, they lose a lot of money from not having sponsorship on their shorts, shirts, banners, etc. Many fighters used to make more coin through their sponsors than they do now via the god-awful Reebok deal

You're also able to fight more quickly after a 13 second fight than a 25 minute war.
Though training camp and the weight cut take a lot out of you too.

Is all the talk of top fighters stepping away while still in their prime just them getting leverage in contract negotiations? GSP did it. Conor and Rousey hint at it.

Not sure which other fighters stepped away in their prime. Too often the opposite - guys staying way past their primes.

GSP maybe, but he was past his prime. He got beat in that last fight. Hadn't finished anyone in ages. Also was taking a lot of damage. Lots of injuries. He knew his run was almost over. He was also very vocal about the PED use.

Can't see Ronda fighting too much longer. She's made a ton of cash and can continue to make lots of money outside the sport. If she loses to Holm again (which she will) - I can't see her coming back.

I missed the McGregor talk about stepping away. He's not going anywhere.

Dos Anjos has ALOT to prove to me tmrw vs Cerrone. He fits the bill as a guy who's been cheating his ass off the last few years as he transformed from average, solid fighter to striker supreme with endless cardio and tireless wrestling. I'm not gonna be surprised to see him like more like the guy from a few years ago. I definitely wouldn't lay the juice on him here. I need to be convinced he's not cheating. In my eyes he fits the bill as a doper. Maybe he proves me wrong.

What do you guys think NASCAR has in store for us in 2016?
I never get this correlation. Maybe b/c it's FS1 shows both sports a lot.

Have a ton of friends who watch/follow MMA. None of them are NASCAR fans.

Have one NASCAR friend. He doesn't like MMA.

Yes I know MMA has plenty of annoying fans, like just about every sport.

More on McGregor. I think he waits to see what happens tonight. Cerrone wins, he moves up. RDA does his thing, he doesn't move up... yet

That performance by RDA ensures Conor stays where he is. At 145.

Everyone I know who watches NASCAR would struggle to name even one UFC fighter not named Rousey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT