ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova 11 points favored over Maine

Hopefully not the great D that showed up for William & Mary and Penn.
How many pts did the D give up in the Penn and W&M games? Only 17 v Penn. But the W&M game was really bad. 32 pts I think. Cats D is second in CAA for total D, and third in scoring D. CAA has some very good offensive teams. Cats are giving up 19.7 pts per game. Should score more than that. But not so far this season. Cats O was 1-12 on 3rd down plays v W&M. Put the D on the field too long
Only gave up 20 at FBS UConn. Fordham's high scoring machine got only 7. Albany O

Last edited:
How many pts did the D give up in the Penn and W&M games? Only 17 v Penn. But the W&M game was really bad. 32 pts I think. Cats D is second in CAA for total D, and third in scoring D. CAA has some very good offensive teams. Cats are giving up 19.7 pts per game. Should score more than that. But not so far this season. Cats O was 1-12 on 3rd down plays v W&M. Put the D on the field too long
Only gave up 20 at FBS UConn. Fordham's high scoring machine got only 7. Albany O
Agreed, especially the time of possession issue thats been driven by the play calling (most notably against Penn) ... almost like a second opponent for the Cats Def. Put most any defense in the position the Nova OC repeatedly has this year and its a job well done to be top three in points, yards allowed and red zone defense.

Hopefully not the great D that showed up for William & Mary and Penn.
Coach T post game on the D- "The defense, what can you say? I think they are the best in FCS . If we could support them better, who knows."
They were sure great last night. In last three games, two games Cats D did not allow a TD.

I'm glad the defense played better than they had vs. W&M and Ivy League Penn. Overall, in conference play, our defense has really only been tested once by a good offense - vs. W&M. They clearly failed the test.

I would not say that Delaware (even our offense scored vs. Towson?) or Albany would qualify as "very good offensive teams." Maine would be a stretch as well......

Next real test is Richmond.

I'm glad the defense played better than they had vs. W&M and Ivy League Penn. Overall, in conference play, our defense has really only been tested once by a good offense - vs. W&M. They clearly failed the test.

I would not say that Delaware (even our offense scored vs. Towson?) or Albany would qualify as "very good offensive teams." Maine would be a stretch as well......

Next real test is Richmond.
I submit the Fordham win as another terrific defensive effort. Fordham had just won at Army and is an offensive power house. Defense led by the LBs was outstanding. Rams RB Soph Chase Edmonds, the reigning FCS Freshman of the Year was held to 74 yds on 16 carries. Caught 4 passes for 10 yds. This after he amassed 266 yds of total offense against Army. Fordham was not a conference win, but still very impressive defense effort. Cats also played good D against FBS UConn.

Through yesterday's game ... Nova defense is CAA's #1 Defense (scoring). #2 Defense (yards allowed), #2 Defense (against the pass), #1 Defense (red zone).

Fordham game was played in a driving rainstorm - I'm sure that likely influenced the performance of both offenses.

Since you brought it up, Army beat 1-8 Eastern Michigan (who gives up 50pts per game) and.........Bucknell.

**We should definitely schedule Eastern Michigan.

Fordham game was played in a driving rainstorm - I'm sure that likely influenced the performance of both offenses.

Since you brought it up, Army beat 1-8 Eastern Michigan (who gives up 50pts per game) and.........Bucknell.

**We should definitely schedule Eastern Michigan.
Fordham game - hard rain did not arrive until 2nd half. How did I know you would bring that up?

It was really wet out....I could tell from all the water hitting me from above. I guessed from experience that is was rain.

Army looks like it would have trouble going on the road in the Patsy League. I get their games on CBS Sports Network. If they aren't the worst "1A" I guess Eastern Michigan must be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT