ADVERTISEMENT

West Virginia Game

Nov 2, 2009
For those that want to watch...

NOVA will be beating West Virginia live on cam from the West Virginia website.

The broadcast is FREE

at... http://www.wvusports.com/mediaplayer.cfm?showID=244

GO NOVA !!!![/B]

Where do we go from here? There is no reason we can't do better than this in a watered down Big East. I am not trying to flame, it is an honest question. Are we ok with the results of the past few years? If Harry was the men's coach would these results be ok?

Nova marine,

Your loyalty to VU can never be questioned, but do you know that
Harry can't come near some kids because of academics. He is held
by admissions to a standard that Jay is not. I am not aware that Jay
has had to take any transcript before the NCAA Compliance Committee,
but jay gets kids with numbers that Harry couldn't touch. I was told that
by a university official.

whitecat-

I can't imagine that Notre Dame and Stanford are any different than Villanova when it comes to accepting student athletes. Now those are elite programs I get that. Even if there is a high bar for academic credentials for our women's team I still don't buy that we can't be at the very top of the league every year. I know we had injuries. I also know we have talent. Something is not adding up here.

paschal,

I don't think the men would be as competitive as they have been.

the double standard is about money. why would the university bend over backwards for the womens team when they lose money annually? the men's team makes so much money the university is willing to help them stay competitive. its the usual reasoning $$$$$$

without the men's basketball team there is no women's teams or other men's sports. the basketball team funds the entire athletic department. so the university is forced to keep them playing at a high level, which means they need to help them with recruiting and allow less than qualified students to attend the school. its no different than any other major sports program in the country.
This post was edited on 3/30 11:41 AM by novabball2

It doesn't explain why they don't give Harry some flexibility recruiting then, why not? We want villanova to remain one of those special institutions, but no reason to clamp him down.

Well, it was a good season, will miss leer a great deal next year.

I too was a little disappointed that we have not been able to be more of a force in the New Big East.

I think part of the problem in Nova WBB not being able to move up in stature has a lot to do with the inability to recruit top front line players that can rebound. We look for forwards that can also handle the ball on the five-out and shoot from outside.

A lot of true post players come out of high school with poor rebounding technique anyway, and those who are used to roaming outside probably have even less rebounding prowess when they get here. Height has a bit to do with it, but some games speak volumes of our inabiltiy to compete on the boards. The WVA game on Sunday featured at least five offenseive rebounds off of missed FOUL SHOTS. Unacceptable, especially in key end of game situations. We were absolutely killed on the offensive boards. Are these intelligent kids just not coachable with respect to rebounding technique, or is just that no effort is spent, since Harry doesn't want them rebounding on their own end of the court and doesn't want players picking up fouls.

Until we can compete with teams on the front line, I think we are destined to continue a legacy of coulda, woulda, shoulda, close but no cigar games year after year. In a Nova style of play that relies on tough defense, ball control and clock management, giving the opposition multiple shots at the basket costs us dearly. So frustrating to have a 27 second defensive stop with a missed shot, only to have a putback or a recycle of the shot clock for the oppostiion.

With Leer and Holman graduated, I can't see how we can be any better at rebounding next year.

Whitecat: Understand that. So, we supposedly bend the rules for the males but not the females. I guess, it's a follow the money situation. Men basketballers generated big bucks, women basketballers not so much. Probably not the kind of thing St. Augustine would approve of after he saw the light.
roll.r191677.gif

the University almost denied Laura Kurz acceptance and she was transferring from Duke. DUKE! she was the best player Nova probably had since who? Shelly? Laura was a great player.

Harry was given some rope with Sarah Jones from Central High, that didnt work out , she couldnt play and couldnt perform in the class room. the girls team is always tops in academics in wbb. Harry needs to recruit the inter act and other private schools. you are not gonna find top talent there each year.

It is unacceptable to have your pt guard as one of your top rebounders. I can't agree more with you. We need to always have a windex player or two.

This post was edited on 4/1 8:38 AM by ccoyer

Harry is awesome. I am not trying to bash the guy because let's be honest, he has forgotten more about basketball than I have ever known. That said I think it is fair to ask these questions. We are now in a UConn/ND less Big East.

the University almost denied Laura Kurz acceptance and she was transferring from Duke. DUKE! she was the best player Nova probably had since who? Shelly? Laura was a great player.

Harry was given some rope with Sarah Jones from Central High, that didnt work out , she couldnt play and couldnt perform in the class room. the girls team is always tops in academics in wbb. Harry needs to recruit the inter act and other private schools. you are not gonna find top talent there each year.

The men's team definitively raises more money than any other Villanova sports team but it does not raise enough money that would cover all of our other sports teams. Schools like PSU do. It is likely that the academic requirements are higher for women's basketball than they are for men's basketball.

However, the academic requirements are also higher for Villanova women than they are for Villanova men too as administrations try to keep as close to a 50/50 ratio between the male and female enrollment numbers as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT