ADVERTISEMENT

When was our lady cats last ncaa tournament win?

qwe007

Wild-Kitten
Oct 2, 2009
This year looks like a lost cause

2014 nit
2013 ncaa first round exit
2012 nit
2011 last place team
2010 last place team
2009 ncaa first round exit
2008 nit with a terrible record
2007 last place team
2006 ?
2005 nit

What is going on?

Is the women's hoops team being neglected by our athletic department like our soccer and lacrosse programs in order to fund our money pit division 2 football program?

Let's stand up for these sports against the football tough guys who think that our entire athletic program should take a back seat to our division 2 football program!! Drop football, fully fund the sports that compete at the highest level!!

Unless they get healthy and have a good run to win the Big East tournament (in DePaul's backyard), there will be no NCAA bid coming this year either, having effectively played themselves out of an at-large bid already by going 2-2 against mid-major teams (counting Providence as mid-major) and losing all three games against middle of the pack major conference teams.

Your chart was one year short of coming up with the last Nova WBB NCAA win. The 2003-2004 team took out Missisippi State in the first round before losing to Purdue in the second round. That was the year following the elite eight run with wins over St. Francis, George Washington and Colorado before falling to Tennesse on their home court. The 2004-2005 team was pretty darn good and should have gotten a bid also, but a couple of bad losses to poor RPI teams that year wiped out some wins over top 25 teams and left them out in the cold. That team was stunned when they were left out as everyone had them as a lock.

The current team is playing like they did four years ago with no offense other than slowing things down before throwing up three balls and hoping we score enough to win. After taking a 17 point lead today with about two minutes to go in the half, the team scored exactly one basket in the nest 16 minutes of play. How is that even possible against a poor team like Providence? The team sorely misses the speed of Devon Kane and we have absolutely no action other than a perimeter game this year. We started the season with only a nine-player rotation, now down to eight. The front line is so thin that as soon as the forwards get a couple of fouls, we play ole defense and don't go hard after rebounds. We have just been killed with offenseive rebounds, second chance points and giving up layups, especially late in the games.

The schedule makers gave us no favors either this year, starting off with 8 straight on the road against some tough teams, then coming home to play a half dozen games while the student body is off on vacation. Lucky if we get a thousand people total out to the first six home games. Then we head into the new Big East schedule of Friday night and Sunday afternoon games. With traffic troubles common on Friday nights and the Eagles probably playing some playoff games on Sunday
afternoons, the forecast for plenty of empty seats at the Pavilion is a sure bet.

I feel sorry for the players, they deserve better. The fans deserve a better product, but other than being somewhat competitive in what is now a mid-major conference that may only get one NCAA bid this year, there is not a whole lot to look forward to. The adminsitraton did a poor job of promoting the team when they had top-notch teams coming into the Pavilion so I don't expect any miracle promotions to surface that will entice anyone new to come out and watch this team.

In summary, it sure looks like we have a stocking full of coal and a Bah! Humbug! sigh of resignation.

So how come we have had such a horrible decade?

This is the type of decade that temple fans would find acceptable, but we are not temple, we are better than accepting losing.

Who is the current coach of villanova? How long has he been there? What is he doing to end the losing.
(Pans before the football tough guys claim I am dumb for these questions, I do know who the current coach is)

novabball2,

Our family owned a home in Havertown until 2000,
and I could make a few games every year. The statement
about Harry getting no leeway on academic questionable
kids amazes me. I have always loved Harry's coaching even though
it might deter some more athletic recruits. But when it defeated
the defending NCAA champions in three consecutive years, it didn't
astound many people with the exception of the few fans who are/were
regulars. I would go up to the Dome when we were in the OBE
and watch Harry beat the Cuse when they had much better talent. I have
in central NY for 53 years, and I don't think I will be able to get down to campus
this year for a game.

novabball2,

On either one of our bb teams we are not talking about
taking a kids' high school grades/courses to the NCAA
Clearing house for an OK. But there at least a strong implication
that Harry gets no leeway at all on kids who aren't very good students
while Jay does. Hell, when I was at VU, AL Severance brought in
numerous kids who didn't graduate and others who dropped out
for academic reasons. I certainly don't want to return to those days.

Recruiting is the key. Getting a better product. Women's basketball is becoming/has become a great game. Very fun to watch. Why does Novabball2 even troll this site? You don't like it don't watch it and keep your condescending comments to yourself.

Hmmmmm...
You worked with the team for 5 years?
That's interesting...

Are you trying to tell us that the state of the team is your fault?

I guess we should be glad you no longer work with the team.

Thank you for leaving.

It was more than the state of the program but the state of the girls game..it doesn't seem like your a fan (it's too slow, they aren't athletic, they don't dunk, whatever..) and you made the point last year on the board..why continue? something must be interesting you or you just get off on putting the women's game down..

im sorry you are sensitive about the womans game and the state of the program and are unwilling to have a conversation about the team and game. youd rather just insult people.

i deleted my previous posts.

Boo hoo Mr Sensitive! we all know who was being insulting..don't try to spin this around. Opinions on the team is fair game to me.. But to just say girls bball stinks makes one wonder what the intent is...

Nice win vs NC St..healthy again. Big game Friday vs DePaul. They win that it's a whole new ball game.

Criticizing this year's team is ludicrous especially by people who don't even come to our games. We'd not have had the record we now have if it hadn't been for our injuries. Finally we have now played a few games with starting players back. Sacred Heart was an aberration. They just could hardly miss three point shots with their star player being the young sister of one of our former star shooters.

This year looks like a lost cause

2014 nit
2013 ncaa first round exit
2012 nit
2011 last place team
2010 last place team
2009 ncaa first round exit
2008 nit with a terrible record
2007 last place team
2006 ?
2005 nit

What is going on?

Is the women's hoops team being neglected by our athletic department like our soccer and lacrosse programs in order to fund our money pit division 2 football program?

Let's stand up for these sports against the football tough guys who think that our entire athletic program should take a back seat to our division 2 football program!! Drop football, fully fund the sports that compete at the highest level!!

Solid post

the mens game was perhaps the greatest national championship game ever and tonight Uconn will win by 30 in a game no one will watch.

Is uconn's dominance bad for the women's game? parity in sports is key for viewership

I'm surprised that no prominent figure in women's college basketball is willing to say publicly that UConn's dominance is bad for the women's game.

UConn's annual budget for women's basketball is $6.66 million. That's double that of any other team in the women's Final Four. All of UConn's games are broadcast on cable TV throughout Connecticut and New York. Who gets that money?

ESPN is in UConn's backyard and they have been the biggest supporters of the idea that UConn is good for women's basketball for the last 17 years.

The argument is made that nobody complained about the dominance of UCLA men's basketball in the 60's and 70's. Is it really true that nobody complained back then? It wasn't until 1981 that UCLA was given two years of probation due to recruiting violations going back to 1966.

The argument is made that nobody is complaining about the dominance of the Golden State Warriors. How long have the Warriors been dominant? They've only won one championship recently. UConn just won their 10th championship in 17 years.

What is the budget for Villanova women's basketball? In the last 20 years, which players who went to Connecticut were even recruited by Villanova, besides Elena Delle Donne? What percentage of the players on the UConn roster over the last 17 years had the academic credentials to be recruited by Villanova?

If you gave Harry Perretta the budget of UConn women's basketball, the TV contract of UConn's women's basketball, the media support and exposure of UConn women's basketball, and the extra admissions leeway of UConn women's basketball, don't you think he would be able to compete with UConn?

The reason no body nationally complains about Uconn is:
1) they are scared of Geno (Doris Burke spent last night doing nothing but complimenting Geno and Uconn, it was nauseating).
2) Uconn is the only show in WBB. So its a double edged sword when it comes to their dominance.

Harry recruited Caroline Doty who was local to Villanova area.

the Warriors won one championship in a 6 game series vs Cleveland who was missing its second and third best players due to injury. i wouldnt call that dominant. UCLA yes, id call that total dominance.

Its hard not to give Geno credit though, he built that program from nothing and has won 11 NCs. it is a level playing field cause each school has the same scholarship to give. he is just really good at recruiting. Once he surpassed Pat Summit on the recruiting front (especially when he took Mya Moore from TN) there was no looking back.

Been watching WBB for a long time and going to final four since 2000. Not taking anything away from UCONN or Geno, but the games now consist of a team consisting of maybe 7 or 8 of the top 12 players from HS over the past four years, playing against a team that may have at the most 1 or 2 of the two top 3 players from that same time span. The UConn games now remind me of the Globetrotters vs. the Wash. Nats. Entertaining maybe once a year, but I don't want to see them playing a 40 game schedule. A whole lot of empty seats at both the semis and finals this year.

Totally agree with the ESPN angle. This year was even worse - with budget cutbacks I assume it was more fiscally viable to send a reporter and camera crew to Storrs rather than use field reporters to get new stories on other schools and players around the country. Having virtually all of the promos for the first and second round games focus on UConn, when they weren't even playing that day and would be certainly playing on six more dates, left a sour taste in my mouth - would rather had more features on the teams and players that were playing that day and probably not not going to be going much further in the tourney.

Seeing potentially great players like Butler transfer to UConn to get 2 minutes of playing time but a championship ring leaves me to think that there is not much going to change.

I read that making the men's final four is worth a minimum of 8 million to each school. I wonder how much additional resources the Nova women will get out of that money bump. Not holding my breath.

tpenter - i agree, ESPN covered nothing but Uconn but what else was there to cover this year in WBB? they played two close games and won by 10 over Maryland and 12 over South Carolina.

Butler started for Gtown as a freshman, led them in mins played and rebounding. But she wanted to see what is was like to be a part of the best team in the nation. i guess you cant blame her.

Nova women arent getting any more in the budget based on this years NC. if anything that money will go to help remodel the Pavilion which I guess helps the womens team.

Uconn strive to win NCs annually, Nova women at best strive to get a 9 seed. the two programs are at two totally different levels.

It's fair based on history to note the differences in success between UConn and Nova or UConn and anybody..but I'm not sure it's fair to say that Nova women strive to get a 9 seed..or that the school doesn't support women's basketball..but what about the fans? Are they fair weathered fans who will only show up if they are winning national championships..probably. Do some not even like the women's game? certainly..even UConn draws only about 8k or so..which ranks them 6th..http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketball_RB/reports/Attend/15att.pdf So winning championship games does not a cash cow make..

But if you are a fan of women's basketball, at a relatively high skill level, and close games then Nova is a good product..and has been for a long time. To go to a school for a couple minutes playing time to win a NC..maybe that says something about the player or the media coverage of women's basketball. Look at transfers out of Uconn..and Louisville..and ND.. and other big schools..McD AA's are transferring..what does that say? I would much rather watch a Nova game then a 40 pt blow out UConn game..anyday. The game doesn't look that much different. And Geno is getting really really tough to listen to..if Doris Burke is on I tend to mute...

I think NovaWBB has a lot to be optimistic about at the present time..Tucker, Jekot, Herlihy likely to be significant contributors next year..they will be much longer, skilled, and athletic in some ways.. kind of like the men. The Big East is a great competitive league almost top to bottom..and offers great competition..I think there will be several successful teams coming out of that conference in the future..but if you would rather jump on the mens bandwagon in supporting Villanova good luck getting a home ticket..and as we know several "fans" including maybe some contributing to this board, would have been calling for Jay's head if they exited in the first or second round..fair weather fans..who needs them?

Reactions: mosby2
We have been going the past few years and to all the home games this season - it is a wonderful team and very skilled. If you have a daughter you get to see excellent basketball and the players are tremendous representatives of the university.

My daughter has gotten to know some of the players on a first name basis. It isn't perfect but more people should support them. I regret not going more in the past since missed much of the coyers first two seasons. Now I will be a season ticket holder....

Reactions: simpaul
We have been going the past few years and to all the home games this season - it is a wonderful team and very skilled. If you have a daughter you get to see excellent basketball and the players are tremendous representatives of the university.

My daughter has gotten to know some of the players on a first name basis. It isn't perfect but more people should support them. I regret not going more in the past since missed much of the coyers first two seasons. Now I will be a season ticket holder....

Welcome aboard - now if we could only get about 500 more ST holders (not holding my breath for that either). We couldn't draw when we played the beasts of the Big East. Unless they change things, the season tickets would save you about 40% and you get a parking pass for the Pavilion lot. The past few years have included a pre-season practice and luncheon invitation (with goodie bags).

Welcome aboard - now if we could only get about 500 more ST holders (not holding my breath for that either). We couldn't draw when we played the beasts of the Big East. Unless they change things, the season tickets would save you about 40% and you get a parking pass for the Pavilion lot. The past few years have included a pre-season practice and luncheon invitation (with goodie bags).

We will do,our part to promote - I brought my malvern team a few times, and the obviously that girls love it but the parents realized - great way to spend an afternoon or evening with the family - can't beat the price or the quality product Harry puts on the court!

Our women have a state of the art practice facility just like the mens team. They have advantages over many programs.

Dude the men don't even have a state of the art practice facility..as compared to others I've seen..but that's not the issue really..they do have some advantages..it's all relative..but let's not fool ourselves that the women haven't been successful over the years..especially in the Big 5..

The story of Villanova womens basketball would have been a lot different had Elena Delle Donne chosen to stay close to home and go to Villanova rather than take the expected path to UConn. Plus, when she realized her mistake, conference reshuffling hadn't happened yet, and she couldn't transfer to Villanova.

Look at the top teams in womens basketball - they are BIG. I'm not asking for nor expecting UConn level program success. BUT - there's no reason Villanova couldn't be one of the top programs in the country. I do not believe Harry has the capabilities to take the program to that premier level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT