ADVERTISEMENT

A Villanova fan's journey comes full circle

lastcup67

'Nova Nation Sensation
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2004
March 21, 1982. I'm an 8th-grader in Toronto, just beginning to get interested in American college basketball. The first regional final of the day is UNC-Villanova. I don't know where Villanova is, but I know they're the underdog against a team that seems too good to root for. Little do I know that Worthy/Perkins/Jordan may turn out to be the greatest college team ever. And Nova hangs tough with them, led by an undersized center named Pinone who never stops hustling, and a skinny freshman named Pinckney who isn't afraid of the Carolina size. They fall short, but I learn that all the players graduate and the coach gives them milk and cookies after 6 am practice. At the age of 13, I have a new favorite team.

I am not from Philly. I am not a Nova grad. I'm not Catholic. I"m a kid in a Jewish private school explaining to my friends why I root for this school's basketball team. 34 years later, I'm a rabbi, still explaining the same obsession. And yet again, it's Carolina.

In 1985, we got our revenge, beating UNC to get to the Final Four. Ever since, that school has made me miserable time and again. In 1991, they just outclassed us. In 2005, we went up against them without Curtis and made them shake in fear until the end. Kyle ate Felton for lunch, Foye was amazing, and only a ref could stop A-Ray's drive to the hoop.

In 2009, we were just happy to be in the Final Four. Carolina just had too many weapons, especially Ty Lawson. In 2013, they weren't so good, but we didn't come out ready. The comeback made the score respectable, but yet again, they ended our season.

Tonight, our season will end against UNC. But I believe it will be different. These kids, like so many Nova players I've watched over 34 years, are so likable. This group has something else. From Jay Wright on down, they will do something the '82 group did, and something else they didn't. On the one hand, they will win over lots of kids who want to see college athletics they way it should be. On the other, they'll go out with a win.

I've only met a few of the posters on this board, and I know I share little in common with almost all of you. But I'm honored to share this passion for a great school, program, team, and journey. I read it every day, and thank you for expressing what I feel from a place of deeper knowledge and personal commitment.

Enjoy Houston, for those who are there. Enjoy the moment. The team we love is playing in the biggest game on the biggest stage. Remember this day as I do 3/21/82. Only this time, may we see the right ending.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News