ADVERTISEMENT

Assessment

Oct 14, 2017
One realizes how far the Villanova track program has fallen when one sees the results. Yes, they won the Big East indoors, but the Big East is a basketball conference.

Yesterday some competed at the Florida Relays and the Stanford Invitational. MacArthur did well in the 800, but the winner was Danae Rivers (Penn State) and 2nd was Gabrielle Wilkinson (Florida). Rivers is from Connecticut and Wilkinson from Pennsylvania – both in Villanova’s prime recruiting territory. Did Villanova bother to recruit them?

The only other one who seemed to perform well was Logan Wetzel at Stanford Invitational running 3:44.73 (1500) - equivalent to 4:02.6 mile.

What was even more disconcerting was there were no Villanova runners in the men’s 800 at the Florida Relays, but there were lots of guys running well for G’town and Columbia. Where was Villanova? This used to be an outstanding middle-distance school Note: VU men have not run a 4x800 at Penn Relays for several years.

The saddest observation was that Brian Faust (Purdue) finished 5th in the 400 in 46.05 at the Florida Relays. Last year he was an outstanding frosh at Villanova. What happened? How do you “lose” a runner of that quality when you have no one on your team who can break 48?

Recruiting class looks good - so far - but men need a lot of work after years of neglect. And do not let last year’s success at Penn Relays fool you. Yes, it felt good and the women are for real, but there was no Oregon, no Stanford, no Arkansas, no …

Some stuff on "lets run/college" about defections? Who is going and for what reason (women's team)?

Or1on, might be just you and me. It seems this track thread has disappeared. Was hard to find. Track seems to be a forgotten sport at VU. Question whether you, or anyone, will read this. Track program is so-so - especially men. Don't know where their thinking was at Penn Relays. Recruiting class appears promising. But no McElhinney or Healey (Ireland)? That should have been a given.

Apparently Healey has turned professional. Just competed in her first Diamond league event. Sad for VU; sad for her. Too young. The college experience has value beyond just competing.

"Healey has turned pro"
I hadn't heard that, but I certainly had her projected as going that route. Because, I don't think a real standout Jr. will ever leave Ireland again. Good runners maybe but not Euro Jr -rare as they are- medalists.Still involved with Tuohy? Looks like it.No go pro there.
------------------------
As for the other w/runners that left it sounded mostly like boyfriends, majors, location problems? At least if you believed some of the things written on Lets Run/college board. Three underclass is a lot to lose? 7 Sis
------------------------------------
The Big East appears to be weak. I still think girls can win.

Last edited:
Or1on, nice that you are still out there. I felt sure that McElhinney would be coming. He is from Marcus' home county of Cork. Next year? But pay attention to Strintzos. Nice story. Ethiopian orphan adopted by an Australian woman, Maria Strintzos, https://neoskosmos.com/en/16741/one-long-path-to-the-finish-line/. He is probably on par with McElhinney at XC. The women have great promise, but they may not be ready yet. Men? Think they will be better than expected. A lot depends upon Rodriguez. How good is he? I believe VU is looking at Tuohy. Too bad Harris transferred. They were hs teammates. Excellent NY Times article on her about a year or so ago. The family seems focused on her well-being. They are definitely not repeating Mary Cain. Next year's female recruiting will be very interesting because there are some excellent runners available besides Tuohy - and on the East coast. Australia has some. And Sophie O'Sullivan would be a great story. McPhillips (IRL)? Ryan was no great loss, but O'Neil and MacArthur (boyfriend) were. Investments that went sour.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT