ADVERTISEMENT

Highschooler transitioning from the 100 to 400

Box+1

All VUSports.com Team
Jan 10, 2008
My 10th grade daughter who runs a 13.4 100 was asked to run the 400 as well since the team is heavy in sprinters short on mid distance. She was told the day before the meet and never ran the 400 before. Any training tips, strategy etc for running this event.
Thanks

Need to do a lot more distance training and tempo runs. As you prob know, 400 and 100 are totally different races. 400 is a lot more tactical, she's going to need some races just to get an idea of how to run it. I'll let others with more recent knowledge chime in on training tips, but my biggest advice would be to anticipate setbacks and know they are normal. Also, it's the most painful race. So, there's that. ;)

Need to do a lot more distance training and tempo runs. As you prob know, 400 and 100 are totally different races. 400 is a lot more tactical, she's going to need some races just to get an idea of how to run it. I'll let others with more recent knowledge chime in on training tips, but my biggest advice would be to anticipate setbacks and know they are normal. Also, it's the most painful race. So, there's that. ;)
Thanks

Hi Box- There are several message boards dedicated to running that have extensive training information. I'm not sure about the sprints (I have to imagine one exists) but I know letsrun.com is a big one for middle to long distance.

Hi Box- There are several message boards dedicated to running that have extensive training information. I'm not sure about the sprints (I have to imagine one exists) but I know letsrun.com is a big one for middle to long distance.
Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT